REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Daytime running lights... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625268-daytime-running-lights.html)

Tim25 09-18-2010 09:39 PM

Daytime running lights...

Are daytime running lights (DRL's) required on the road? I know they are required on new cars for sale, but say I buy a car and then disconnect the DRL's, am I breaking the law?

TIM

Corey Darling 09-18-2010 10:05 PM

Yes, ever since December 1989. If you car is older than that, then DRL are not required.

Sp0r3 09-18-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim25 (Post 7110552)
Are daytime running lights (DRL's) required on the road? I know they are required on new cars for sale, but say I buy a car and then disconnect the DRL's, am I breaking the law?

TIM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motor Vehicle Act
General lighting requirements

4.02 (2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

Daytime running lamps

4.08 A motor vehicle may be equipped with daytime running lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicleat a height of not less than 30 cm and not more than 2.11 m, that comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).

If your car comes with DRL's, you must have DRL's. But if your car does not come with one from the manufacturer, you are free to add one in on your expense. A quick google search and I found that skidmark had already answered this question before on another forum 4 years ago:
http://www.alberni.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4632

Soundy 09-18-2010 10:21 PM

He's also answered it HERE, many times before.

BTW, any car made for sale in Canada since 1990 has required DRLs, by Transport Canada mandate. If it's imported without running lights, then they must be installed or enabled before it will pass an inspection, at least in BC.

In other words, any 1990 model or newer car licensed in BC *must* have DRLs, one way or another, to be legal.

Tim25 09-18-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7110586)
He's also answered it HERE, many times before.

:willnill: Well excuse me. I did a search and couldn't find a thread.

Anyway, thanks to everybody on the quick replies.

TIM

MWR34 09-23-2010 03:37 PM

and a double standard... alot of cop cars do not have DRL in use.

bengy 09-24-2010 12:48 PM

Just hook up a switch that turns them off and run city lights only.

Soundy 09-24-2010 03:14 PM

Or just leave them alone, since there's no real reason to turn them off...

sho_bc 09-24-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWR34 (Post 7117306)

If you're referring to the police cars in Richmond, all of them have day-time running lights.

skidmark 09-24-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengy (Post 7118477)
Just hook up a switch that turns them off and run city lights only.

Prepare to pay if you do this....

sebberry 09-24-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7118732)
If you're referring to the police cars in Richmond, all of them have day-time running lights.

I've seen police cars without them. Albeit a little later than I would have seen them with them.

Soundy 09-25-2010 06:13 AM

...keeping in mind that on most cars, the DRLs turn off when you shift into PARK.

sebberry 09-25-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7119309)
...keeping in mind that on most cars, the DRLs turn off when you shift into PARK.

Or when you apply the handbrake, but I'm talking about moving police cars.

taylor192 09-25-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWR34 (Post 7117306)

Police vehicles need to be able to arrive at some scenes undetected. You on the otherhand do not.

sebberry 09-25-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7119890)
Police vehicles need to be able to arrive at some scenes undetected. You on the otherhand do not.

Hence why they have a blackout feature for all the lights. Still doesn't explain why the DRLs can be disabled during the day.

Soundy 09-25-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7119895)
Hence why they have a blackout feature for all the lights. Still doesn't explain why the DRLs can be disabled during the day.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blackout

Quote:

World English Dictionary
blackout (ˈblækaʊt)

— n
1. the extinguishing or hiding of all artificial light, esp in a city visible to an enemy attack from the air
2. a momentary loss of consciousness, vision, or memory
3. a temporary electrical power failure or cut
4. electronics a temporary loss of sensitivity in a valve following a short strong pulse
5. a temporary loss of radio communications between a spacecraft and earth, esp on re-entry into the earth's atmosphere
6. the suspension of radio or television broadcasting, as by a strike or for political reasons

— vb
7. ( tr ) to obliterate or extinguish (lights)
8. ( tr ) to create a blackout in (a city etc)
9. ( intr ) to lose vision, consciousness, or memory temporarily
10. ( tr, adverb ) to stop (news, a television programme) from being released or broadcast

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
I'd think the term "blackout" would be rather self-explanatory, personally...

PiuYi 09-25-2010 10:47 PM

i disabled my DRL's as soon as i got my car 3yrs ago and i've been pulled over multiple times and the officers never said anything (i hav aftermarket angel eyes that are always on)

im guessing i got lucky alot of times here, but are officers usually picky with DRL's or is it something that they let slide more times than not?

sebberry 09-25-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7120171)
I'd think the term "blackout" would be rather self-explanatory, personally...

Did you get your high-horse at the same place I got mine? :rolleyes:

A blackout feature allows the officer to turn off all lights to avoid detection. This is really only useful at night since the car is pretty easy to see in the daylight.

Now, think about it. DRLs are for enhanced daytime visibility. Tell me, how would shutting off the DRLs really make for a stealthy, daytime approach?

wing_woo 09-27-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7120190)

Now, think about it. DRLs are for enhanced daytime visibility. Tell me, how would shutting off the DRLs really make for a stealthy, daytime approach?

Because if they turned off their headlights at night to approach undetected, the DRL's would still be on. That's why they need the feature. However, you are right that there doesn't seem to be a purpose for them turning it off during the day. Maybe the ones that were seen were just officers who turned it off and didn't remember to turn the DRL's back on.

MWR34 09-28-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7118732)

i beg to differ. Should I make a video compilation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7119890)

au contraire.

sho_bc 09-28-2010 06:35 AM

You can beg all you like. I've driven every single marked and unmarked general duty police car in Richmond, and they all have daytime running lights that turn on when put in gear. I've also been in and around the traffic marked and unmarked police cars enough to have seen them all with daytime running lights.

You may have seen them with the daytime running lights "kill switch" activated, but I can assure you that they all have them. ;)

MWR34 09-28-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7123326)
You can beg all you like. I've driven every single marked and unmarked general duty police car in Richmond, and they all have daytime running lights that turn on when put in gear. I've also been in and around the traffic marked and unmarked police cars enough to have seen them all with daytime running lights.

You may have seen them with the daytime running lights "kill switch" activated, but I can assure you that they all have them. ;)

Oh no, I do believe they all have DRL... but countless amount of times I have seen them off for no obvious reasons.

Soundy 09-28-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWR34 (Post 7124298)
Oh no, I do believe they all have DRL... but countless amount of times I have seen them off for no obvious reasons.

Do you have a police scanner or police-band radio in your car? Are you on the Staff Sergeant's "keep-this-guy-posted-on-everything-that's-happening" call list? Do you have clairvoyance enough to know what every on-duty cop is up to, or find the hidden rebel fortress?

No?

Just because the reason's not "obvious" to you doesn't mean there isn't a perfectly valid one.

sebberry 09-28-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7124397)
Just because the reason's not "obvious" to you doesn't mean there isn't a perfectly valid one.

There's no valid reason for having the DRLs off during the day.

Soundy 09-29-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7124412)
There's no valid reason for having the DRLs off during the day.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...7&postcount=11