REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Should I Sell My Car?

Hello, new to the forum. Apologies if this sort of thread is not allowed or in the wrong section.

I have a 97 Mercedes C36 AMG.
I just got my license, had saved up some money; and not going to lie, had funds from family. I hadn't done much research on what kind of car I really needed/wanted and honestly, bought it on impulse from a small dealership.
I did not get it checked by a mechanic, and lo and behold it had a plethora of problems.
Anywho, after spending over 5 grand I got it to full functioning order. And of course, me being a wonderfully good driver I got into a minor parking accident that knocked off my front bumper, which thanks to my car's rarity cost over 1g to replace.

Okay, so I've spent almost 18g on this car. I know if I tried to sell it, Id get at best 10g, less with the damage I've done to it. Thing is, now that I've lived with it, I definitely know I do NOT want a premium gas using lux car that costs thousands to fix.

My question is: Would it be best to cut my losses and sell the car before it bleeds me even further? Or to hang onto it seeing as I've spent so much to get it running?

THANKS.

Notes:
I don't drive it as a daily commuter. I use it on weekends and for errands such as groceries.
Also, the radio is locked. Merc Dealerships and the dealership I got it from claim they have no way of obtaining the radio code. Any ideas?
Advertisement
whynot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

sell it . cut your losts.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
You sound like you have a decent head on your shoulders so I hope you don't get ripped apart here like S500 vs 745li guy.

Your best bet would be to cut your losses. Buy something reliable. Cheap to run and fix. Save up some cash for more important things in your life right now like education or buying a place.

If I had to do it all over again, that's how I would have managed my money. Your mielage may vary.

Kev
Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I would have sold if i were in your shoes. It's too expensive of a car to own if you're young.

And +1 for being honest. Too many people with too much ego nowadays
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,824 Times in 983 Posts
Although it's a hard decision, I would sell it and cut your losses. In addition to saving on gas and maintenance, you also want to have a car that you like and are excited about driving, not one where you worry more about the next thing that will fail.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
shitty deals, i would at least hold on to it for a bit till the sting of all the repair bills wears off. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong with it and you can make a more objective decision in a few weeks/months.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,048 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot22 View Post
bought it on impulse from a small dealership
Too many have made this mistake.

Cut your losses. Find the weasel who sold you this POS (and full well knew it), put his smoke out in his greasy hair and move on.

Sorry to hear OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
You are an honest person and like mentioned seem to have a decent head on your shoulders. Good on you.

You don't seem too attached to the car so I would sell it. Those Merc's definitely aren't cheap to fix, like it's been mentioned sell it for what you can and get something.

You can get a $5000 that's in really awesome condition and then still have money left over to put away/use as you please.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Go with used Japanese cars. Good on budget, easy to maintain. Like you said, it's just a commuter for getting groceries and such, so you don't really need a fancy luxury car.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot22 View Post
Hello, new to the forum. Apologies if this sort of thread is not allowed or in the wrong section.

I have a 97 Mercedes C36 AMG.
I just got my license, had saved up some money; and not going to lie, had funds from family. I hadn't done much research on what kind of car I really needed/wanted and honestly, bought it on impulse from a small dealership.
I did not get it checked by a mechanic, and lo and behold it had a plethora of problems.
Anywho, after spending over 5 grand I got it to full functioning order. And of course, me being a wonderfully good driver I got into a minor parking accident that knocked off my front bumper, which thanks to my car's rarity cost over 1g to replace.

Okay, so I've spent almost 18g on this car. I know if I tried to sell it, Id get at best 10g, less with the damage I've done to it. Thing is, now that I've lived with it, I definitely know I do NOT want a premium gas using lux car that costs thousands to fix.

My question is: Would it be best to cut my losses and sell the car before it bleeds me even further? Or to hang onto it seeing as I've spent so much to get it running?

THANKS.

Notes:
I don't drive it as a daily commuter. I use it on weekends and for errands such as groceries.
Also, the radio is locked. Merc Dealerships and the dealership I got it from claim they have no way of obtaining the radio code. Any ideas?
Hahaha I own exactly the same car.

There are a few pointers for you.

In 2 years your car will be eligible for collector's insurance status...with the number of C36s imported into Canada (with the Canadian spec DRL and extra high rideheight) you will most likely be able to get yourself a collector's plate insurance (which is only apprximately 250 a year), which will allow you to drive the car for pleasure any time of the day.

But in order to do that you will need
1) another car that's insured in a regular way
2) the C36 being entirely stock and not modified, but your stereo is not required to be working. If you want an OEM stereo you can easily pick one up from the local Mercedes junkyard.....any model W202 C class head unit will do, given there's a way to get a radio key off it.

Of all the C36s I spot out there would your car be...
1) silver with some really weird eBay tail lights
2) black one that's always outside Foot Spot in Richmond
or 3) a completely stock gunmetal one?

Unlike what everyone is saying above, my suggestion is to keep it. For 18k you aren't ever going to get something nearly as good to drive anyway. Your bumper can be easily remedied with a eBay fiberglass AMG replica, and no one will be any wiser.

Coz if you think about it, after you fixed that "plethora of problems" do you feel like it's going to break down on you again really soon? I would think not because W202 are really simple and well engineered machines imo and if you have already dropped the coins to fix the mechanical problems you'll be enjoying a lot of happy miles from here on. Your engine has the same base as a C280 (cheap parts) and your transmission is ripped out of a SL600 (so it'll likely not die in another 30 years with the hamster of an engine you have there compared to the SL600) and then you have SL series brakes....it's a very unique situation where you can do most maintenance or even repairs on this AMG model with regular Mercedes parts...

I can drive my C36 into the dealership tomorrow and they'd report it's problem free, I haven't fixed anything on it since the MAF that was fouled when I first picked up the car in 2005, and perhaps a few wear and tear items.....They are just that well engineered. My car is already at 167xxxkm and I wouldn't sell it for anything under a 10k. Even though, like you said, 8k is probably as good as anyone can manage.

Anyway give us more details as to what you NEED to deal with now and see if we can point you somewhere that will keep your car happy and kosher for cheaper than dealership - although a dealership oil change with 8L of full synthetic+filter is $85 or something I wouldn't take it anywhere else myself, but I can help you out where you can to save money on things you might be needing immediately on the car.

The sad fact is, unlike a 190E 2.5-16 Cosworth, the C36 doesn't have the legendary status, but it is a classic in its own right (it's the first ever AMG model sold under the Mercedes moniker, hell it's faster than a 190E by a whole lot too) so if you are trying to keep a car for its beauty or just for hobby it's not a bad idea. If you go on the freeway the car will happily do 7.6L/100km too, which is exceptionally good for a 280bhp car.

If you need a daily commute car (which I assume you aren't looking into it) then yes of course a 90s lil Japanese econobox will be cheap to buy and own....But if you have a place to keep the W202, then you might as well keep it. It's just going to get more rare as time goes on.

Actually Mercedes replied to me that the official figures of 1997 C36s imported into Canada is 51. Now you know you own a car that's a lot more rare than a lot of rich people's Ferraris LOL.

Give me a PM and we can chill and talk about our Mercs over some bubble tea or something. Cheers.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 09-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

u already spent so much on it! u should just keep it and enjoy
or u can cut ur losses and get something else....
it really is a dilemma but with 18g's invested already id just keep it unless u really dont wanna spend another dollar on this car
Jackwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,312 Times in 1,650 Posts
if you can fathom enjoying this car on any level after this ordeal you've been through, keep the car. if not, sell it, cut your losses and move on (as most people have already suggested). best of luck to you for whichever direction you choose to go.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

real question is can you afford to live with it?

1) Yes, keep car
2) Yes but I hate this car now keep it for 2 years and sell it to someone using the Collectors plate thing to get better price
3) No, sell car

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 09-24-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If i were you, I would do a bit more research into the car and find out exactly where I am with the maintenance and upkeep. If everything is in good shape and doesn't have any big expenditures in the next year or two. I'd say keep it. But, if estimated yearly maintenance and repairs are expected to be +2000 each year, It would probably be better to lease a new car. for example, sticking with mercedes, 2011 c250 with 10,000 down (roughly what your car is worth) as trade in is $220 a month according to the mercedes benz canada website.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
real question is can you afford to live with it?

1) Yes, keep car
2) Yes but I hate this car now
3) No, sell car
What do you suggest that he does if his answer is "2"?

Ya leasing a more modern and cheaper Mercedes is probably not a bad idea, except the fact that you are going to go straight to the bottom of the pile for luxury and performance....Your car as it stands is at least equivalent to a C350 in every measurable way. Though a W204 is not a bad choice at all for commute and looking good either.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^fixed

I would say get a japanese car something 2000 for the more update interior
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #17

^ But to sell the car at any reasonable value NOW is going to be harder than ever....you are just between a rock and a hard place at this time.... 2 years later a little easier, 5 years ago probably easier too before the big economy crash....

Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #18
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

The thing u have missed is the fact that the 18k u put into the car is a sunk cost. U r not gonna recover it. Therefore it should not influence ur decision of whether to sell or keep. U simply have to compare ur cash flow of the 2 scenarios. Sell: money u sell for minus cost of new car plus future maintenance cost. Keep: future maintenance cost. Very simple.
Posted via RS Mobile
TomBox_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,407 Times in 3,476 Posts
Keep it even if you hate it. You have already put lots of money into it and fixed all the problems and it will get you from point a to point b.

My first car was a hand me down Chevy Beretta and it wasn't that great but many good times were had with it.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

sell it, get a honda
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #21
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Thanks so much for all the input everyone, did not expect so many replies so quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Hahaha I own exactly the same car.

There are a few pointers for you.

In 2 years your car will be eligible for collector's insurance status...with the number of C36s imported into Canada (with the Canadian spec DRL and extra high rideheight) you will most likely be able to get yourself a collector's plate insurance (which is only apprximately 250 a year), which will allow you to drive the car for pleasure any time of the day.

But in order to do that you will need
1) another car that's insured in a regular way
2) the C36 being entirely stock and not modified, but your stereo is not required to be working. If you want an OEM stereo you can easily pick one up from the local Mercedes junkyard.....any model W202 C class head unit will do, given there's a way to get a radio key off it.

Of all the C36s I spot out there would your car be...
1) silver with some really weird eBay tail lights
2) black one that's always outside Foot Spot in Richmond
or 3) a completely stock gunmetal one?

Unlike what everyone is saying above, my suggestion is to keep it. For 18k you aren't ever going to get something nearly as good to drive anyway. Your bumper can be easily remedied with a eBay fiberglass AMG replica, and no one will be any wiser.

Coz if you think about it, after you fixed that "plethora of problems" do you feel like it's going to break down on you again really soon? I would think not because W202 are really simple and well engineered machines imo and if you have already dropped the coins to fix the mechanical problems you'll be enjoying a lot of happy miles from here on. Your engine has the same base as a C280 (cheap parts) and your transmission is ripped out of a SL600 (so it'll likely not die in another 30 years with the hamster of an engine you have there compared to the SL600) and then you have SL series brakes....it's a very unique situation where you can do most maintenance or even repairs on this AMG model with regular Mercedes parts...

I can drive my C36 into the dealership tomorrow and they'd report it's problem free, I haven't fixed anything on it since the MAF that was fouled when I first picked up the car in 2005, and perhaps a few wear and tear items.....They are just that well engineered. My car is already at 167xxxkm and I wouldn't sell it for anything under a 10k. Even though, like you said, 8k is probably as good as anyone can manage.

Anyway give us more details as to what you NEED to deal with now and see if we can point you somewhere that will keep your car happy and kosher for cheaper than dealership - although a dealership oil change with 8L of full synthetic+filter is $85 or something I wouldn't take it anywhere else myself, but I can help you out where you can to save money on things you might be needing immediately on the car.

The sad fact is, unlike a 190E 2.5-16 Cosworth, the C36 doesn't have the legendary status, but it is a classic in its own right (it's the first ever AMG model sold under the Mercedes moniker, hell it's faster than a 190E by a whole lot too) so if you are trying to keep a car for its beauty or just for hobby it's not a bad idea. If you go on the freeway the car will happily do 7.6L/100km too, which is exceptionally good for a 280bhp car.

If you need a daily commute car (which I assume you aren't looking into it) then yes of course a 90s lil Japanese econobox will be cheap to buy and own....But if you have a place to keep the W202, then you might as well keep it. It's just going to get more rare as time goes on.

Actually Mercedes replied to me that the official figures of 1997 C36s imported into Canada is 51. Now you know you own a car that's a lot more rare than a lot of rich people's Ferraris LOL.

Give me a PM and we can chill and talk about our Mercs over some bubble tea or something. Cheers.
Wow, thanks, that's a lot of information. I knew my car was rare, but I didn't realize it was thaaat rare. Mine is not the one with weird lights. It's silver, and no exterior mods that I know of. Huhn, I had no idea a car this young could qualify as collector, but I doubt I could do that, the previous owner put in aftermarket suspension and air filter (i promptly replaced them with normal ones).

Hmm, if I can "collector" it, I'm still not certain whether to hold onto it. The reality is, if I _need_ a car, I'm certain my mother would lend me her minivan.

And a really lame aside, but I regret how conspicuous a Merc is. Like, I think this is one of the handsomest cars out there. It's got the box shape I like and it's just shaped like what a car ought to in my mind. HOWEVER, it's a Mercedes, the very name is associated with luxury. I know I shouldnt care what others think, but it definitely paints me as a bit of a douche. It's not exactly understated.
whynot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #22
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,824 Times in 983 Posts
For the collector's status, keep in mind that you only get the discounted collectors insurance if you already have another vehicle insured under your name, which means more $ as well, even if you have base insurance.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
tough tought...

if you feel the car is nothing but fixing all the time, i would sell it.. im sure there are lots of merc fans out there..

if you like the car, you should keep it...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Rs200 View Post
sell it, get a honda
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
straight from the fields of squamton

keep it, have fun with it!
it'll be expensive, but you knew that buying a mercedes.