REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Buying stocks with savings

Me and my co-worker discussed a lot of about stocks and he said that I should use my RRSP to buy stocks. Right now, I don't have much in there.

Is it wise to use money from my savings account to buy stocks? How much of a disadvantage with taxes? Does every buy their stocks with RRSP?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
yes, same idea as tfsa but with rrsp u can deduct from taxes but get taxed when taking it out
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

RRSP is for retirement. Individual stocks are way too risky for that in my opinion, because companies can indeed go out of business. Better way is go to your local bank and start investing in a TFSA. TFSA is a great way to start investing for someone new, and best of all, all of your capital gains, interests, dividends are shielded away from government.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
The Fiesta Dipper

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by E_Fahlman; 01-18-2011 at 10:38 AM.
E_Fahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
I don't get it

You can shift your RRSP account into a self directed RRSP account. In a normal rrsp account you hold mutual funds or whatever your financial adviser directs. In the self directed RRSP account, you do whatever you want with your money - buy/sell stocks AND buy/sell mutual funds.

A easier way to ensure you don't lose your nest egg is to start small. Liquidate your mutual funds slowly into cash.

I'm going to assume your RRSP is in a work plan or through your bank so another avenue to play it relatively safe is to seek the advice of a independent wealth manager as they can put you into some sexy investments - land holding deals in areas slated for re-zoning, landlord deals in low end apartments in other regions, leverage funds, golf course development etc.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote