REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #101
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
I'm just curious here but....

The article noted that the 2 cars blew past him at 200km/hr, meaning they would be out of his sight from the windy road going to the top, and the fact that the officer had to catch up with them when they were at the parking lot meant that he would have lost continuity.

It has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it was them. There could have been another Ferrari or BMW in another parking lot. Obviously we know there wasn't, but it could be argued, couldn't it?

I remember I bombed past a cop once at cypress at the lookout point on my bike, he radioed a lady cop at the bottom of the mountain and when I got there she pulled me over to only tell me to watch out and slow down. She even told me the loss of continuity and change of witness protected me.
exactly how you can get away with tickets in court. too bad they take your car away road side now. guilty until proven innocent??
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #102
Boost Lee

Last edited by 1BADMR2; 01-16-2012 at 06:15 AM.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #103
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADMR2 View Post
This new law is wrong, the fine(s) I agree with but to impound the vehicle is not right. If this was the only vehicle that the person owned and it gets impounded, how would they get to work if there is no transit, live in different city from work, etc. Do not tell me "just don't speed", even going 1 km/h over the speed limit is considered speeding. Many people speed and I agree that some people should never even drive but impounding the vehicle is not right. Guilty until proven inoccent. Why not fine them a very large amount instead?

A lot of the speed limits in BC are out dated. This gives the fuzz too much power, especially when they assume that they are always right or just having a bad day.
They don't impound your car if you go 1km over the speed limit they impound it if your caught doing 40+km/h over...
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #104
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
I'm just curious here but....

The article noted that the 2 cars blew past him at 200km/hr, meaning they would be out of his sight from the windy road going to the top, and the fact that the officer had to catch up with them when they were at the parking lot meant that he would have lost continuity.

It has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it was them. There could have been another Ferrari or BMW in another parking lot. Obviously we know there wasn't, but it could be argued, couldn't it?

I remember I bombed past a cop once at cypress at the lookout point on my bike, he radioed a lady cop at the bottom of the mountain and when I got there she pulled me over to only tell me to watch out and slow down. She even told me the loss of continuity and change of witness protected me.
I kind of understand what your argument is, but how often do you see a baby blue ferarri? It was pretty obvious. You go a 'rip', you accept all consequences for your actions...it just sucks for the people that try to not excessive speed. Like how that street race in Richmond way back when, started the whole awareness thing. I would love to drive in Richmond without being scared haha.

But yeah...rather have the car impounded than crushed like in certain places. *knock on wood*
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #105
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
This new law is wrong, the fine(s) I agree with but to impound the vehicle is not right. If this was the only vehicle that the person owned and it gets impounded, how would they get to work if there is no transit, live in different city from work, etc. Do not tell me "just don't speed", even going 1 km/h over the speed limit is considered speeding. Many people speed and I agree that some people should never even drive but impounding the vehicle is not right. Guilty until proven inoccent. Why not fine them a very large amount instead?

A lot of the speed limits in BC are out dated. This gives the fuzz too much power, especially when they assume that they are always right or just having a bad day.
Oh you can still speed, just don't go more than 40 over and you can keep your car.

Reading > you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #106
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post
I kind of understand what your argument is, but how often do you see a baby blue ferarri? It was pretty obvious.
Think of it this way, forget the Ferrari. Same situation but you drove the same car as the violator and you're sitting in you car, parked in the lot. Violator zooms past you out of sight, cop comes around the corner and sees you and the same car. What is the cop going to think?

And the fact that it is a Ferrari doesn't matter, it's the principle. Yes it's less likely, but a chance is still a chance.

I would think that although they can still tow your car away on the spot you aren't guilty yet. When you get your speeding ticket it doesn't mean you are pleading guilty so I don't see how this would be any different because in the canadian charter of human rights and freedoms it says:

"Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal".

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #107
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
We'll take my situation for example.

Was driving highway 1 and punched it, lo and behold it was an unmarked car behind me. Get pulled over, cop DOESN'T know how fast I was going. He says I was going more than 160km/h as he couldn't keep up with me (Wait, your police trim suv couldn't keep up with my bone stock Volvo 240? hahah). Puts on the ticket "more than 60km/h over"... Later, I get a letter in the mail saying that the ticket has basically been thrown out and that the cop has the right to issue a new ticket (that was a few months ago).

Moral of the story here, I woulda had my car impounded for "bad" ticket.

And no, i'm not saying I was in the right. But pretend I wasn't excessive speeding, maybe just accelerated really hard to 130km/h... Still not the 40km/h over... And I woulda lost my car for a week and been charged the fees for essentially the wrong offence.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #108
Boost Lee

Last edited by 1BADMR2; 01-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #109
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I know Porsches/Ferraris/BMWs *will* stop faster than most other cars, even at breakneck speeds, but if an animal jumps out 20' in front of you when you're doing 160+kph - you're fucked!
When I was growing up, in the Interior, a neighbor of ours left his driveway in his K-car... turned onto the highway... was up to a whopping 30 or 40km/h when a moose jumped out of the bushes directly in front of him.

Now, your average moose weighs in the vicinity of 1000 pounds and has long spindly legs that hold it a good three feet off the ground... so even just nudging this thing, it basically landed in his lap.

Dude lived... but he didn't walk for two months. Still doesn't have the use of one hand to this day, 20+ years later. His face was incredibly messed up from the glass that was embedded in it - even windshield safety glass can piece out when it has a several-hundred-pound chunk of flesh going through it. His jaw was wired shut for a good four weeks and he couldn't eat normally for almost a year.

So yeah... hitting a big animal is not something you want to do in your pasta or sauerkraut rocket.

Quote:
I'd argue it's safer to do those speeds on highways like the coquihalla that are designed for it. (even if it is illegal)
Not just that, but using Seymour or Cypress, you're trapped - once you get to the top, there's nowhere to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #110

Quote:
I already know that they will impound your vehicle if you do 40 km/h over the limit. If you acutally read what i am saying is that impounding a vehicle is NOT right. Many people speed (40+) and the speed limits in BC are outdated. Just because you do the speed limit, others do not.
So? Let the OTHERS lose their cars, then.

Quote:
If that was the only vehicle in that family and the car got impounded, how is that person(s) going to get to work, pay bills, kids to school, etc.????
How is that person to pay the fines if they can not get to work???
Shoulda thought of that beforehand. Duh.

Quote:
Looking outside of the box ownes you both.
When you choose to drive on the PUBLIC roads, you choose to put yourself in a very narrow box. Stay inside the box, and everyone gets along. Step outside the box, bad things happen. Don't like it... stay inside the box, stay home, or build your own fucking box with your own rules.
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #111

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
I already know that they will impound your vehicle if you do 40 km/h over the limit. If you acutally read what i am saying is that impounding a vehicle is NOT right. Many people speed (40+) and the speed limits in BC are outdated. Just because you do the speed limit, others do not.

If that was the only vehicle in that family and the car got impounded, how is that person(s) going to get to work, pay bills, kids to school, etc.????
How is that person to pay the fines if they can not get to work???
What if the person is doing 38 km/h over and the fuzz rounds it up to 40 km/h and they get their car impounded???

The Police are human beings, to be human is to error. I say that they just imply a very large fine and let the courts decide if the vehicle gets impounded not one policeman or woman. Not all Police are always in great moods.

Looking outside of the box ownes you both.
Most people barely ever leave city limits, where are they going 40 over on a regular basis? Yes most people speed, but it's typically 5-10 over, 20 at most.

"That person" shouldn't have been such a selfish prick and gotten the car impounded now should they? This should be pretty simple.

So, to play it safe, don't go more than 30 over. If you're around 40 over and it's up the officers discretion, your attitude probably plays a big part here as to whether they count it as excessive or not. If you think you're only going 38 over, changes in tire size and age means your speedo isn't that accurate, and you could very easily be going more than 38 over.

*actually
*owns
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #112
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Exactly

Quote:
"Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal".
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #113
Boost Lee

Last edited by 1BADMR2; 01-16-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #114

What happens if you lose your car and license and then when you go to court the judge finds you not guilty?
Who pays the impound fee?
Who pays for whatever form of transportation you need to use while you have no car and no license?

Do you just get credit for one free 40+ km/h over the speed limit in the future? lol
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #115
Boost Lee

[.

Last edited by 1BADMR2; 01-16-2012 at 06:13 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #116

Quote:
I would think that although they can still tow your car away on the spot you aren't guilty yet. When you get your speeding ticket it doesn't mean you are pleading guilty so I don't see how this would be any different because in the canadian charter of human rights and freedoms it says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribunal
"Tribunal in the general sense is any person or institution with the authority to judge, adjudicate on, or determine claims or disputes—whether or not it is called a tribunal in its title.[1]"

I would imagine in the course of dotting the legal i's and crossing the t's, they would have empowered the cops appropriately for these circumstances.

Consider that they're already permitted to tow your car for a number of other reasons: if you're impaired, if the vehicle is unsafe, if the driver is arrested on an outstanding warrant, etc. There never seems to have been a "Charter issue" with these... there's no reason there should be with this.

Quote:
But I think I need to simplify my statements. In my opinion, The courts should decide if the vehicle should be impounded, burnt, recycled, etc. NOT the Police.
The police are only deciding whether the car should be impounded. You still get it back afterward. Nobody is burning it or recycling it or doing anything else to it other than stowing it for the prescribed time period.

Tell us this: let's assume this was the case, that the court decides your vehicle should be impounded. That means the minute you pay your ticket, you're pleading guilty - you want the truck to come unannounced and tow your car then? Or say you dispute the charge, and lose - should they come and tow it then and leave you stranded at the courthouse? Or are you going to voluntarily go drop it off at the impound yard?

Quote:
I am stating that this new law gives the Police too much power
The worst they can do is take your car and store it for a while - this isn't Ontario where the courts can later decide to destroy your car. They already have the power to impound, and have had for a long, long time. All this does is add another circumstance where impoundment is an option.

That's not an opinion, BTW, that's just a statement of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
What happens if you lose your car and license and then when you go to court the judge finds you not guilty?
Who pays the impound fee?
Who pays for whatever form of transportation you need to use while you have no car and no license?

Do you just get credit for one free 40+ km/h over the speed limit in the future? lol
Quote:
Exactly what I am trying to convey. Think out side the box. No one will pay you back so it is up to the courts to decide about impounding the vehicle or whatever else they want to do NOT the Police.
Skidmark has stated numerous times in other threads that there are provisions in the law for compensation. Why don't you try looking them up, or ask over in PF for a pointer to them?

Try keeping your head inside the box long enough to learn the facts of what you're whining about.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #117
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The police are only deciding whether the car should be impounded. You still get it back afterward. Nobody is burning it or recycling it or doing anything else to it other than stowing it for the prescribed time period.
Jesus Christ Soundy, you're such a fucking fail.
I'm literally slapping my own forehead after reading your replies.

You may get your car back, you may also get your license back, but what happens in the meantime?

You could lose your job.
You could get the car back with damage.
You could be put in a bad financial situation when forced to pay the exhorbitant fines and fees.

Only to have a judge say "sorry, our bad".

You may like the gov't holding your hand, for whatever reason.
But most of us take personal responsibility for our own actions, and don't want the gov't looking over our shoulders.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #118
Banned (BBM)

you forgot to fail him dude
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #119
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Meh, he's a living fail.
It's doubtful that mine would even make a difference.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #120
Banned (BBM)

i wonna double thank you

dude is a wonnabe cop
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
You may get your car back, you may also get your license back, but what happens in the meantime?

You could lose your job.
You could get the car back with damage.
You could be put in a bad financial situation when forced to pay the exhorbitant fines and fees.

Only to have a judge say "sorry, our bad".
And again I ask, how is this any different than having your car impounded for being falling down drunk, or for it being a piece of shit, or any of a number of any reasons that cops have been allowed to tow your car for DECADES?

Here's how it's different: it's still cheaper. You don't have to worry about defending a criminal DUI charge. You don't have to put thousands into repairs before you're allowed to put it back on the road. You wait your seven days, you pay off the impound yard and the various fees, and you're on your way again.

Quote:
But most of us take personal responsibility for our own actions, and don't want the gov't looking over our shoulders.
That's actually almost funny... you know the law, you know the consequences... if you get busted, will you take the personal responsibility for your own actions? Or will you come into RS whining about it, and try to blame it on the cop having a bad day?

If you know that 40-over is the line, and that cops so far are only concentrating on people doing 50-over... how hard is it to keep it to 30-over?

Have a little fucking self control. Take some personal responsibility for your own driving habits, instead of blaming it on the speed limits, or the flow of traffic.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #122
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Now it makes sense why Soundy's so grumpy:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/attac...1&d=1286501819
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #123
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH, well done^^^
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #124
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post