REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Porter Cable 7424XP

I'm looking into getting a 7424 for taking care of the paint on my truck + the family's cars(Crapload of swirls). One of the cars is silver, the other two are darker (black, and deep navy blue).

What should I look for as far as pads? All the cars are swirled to shit, so I obviously want to rectify that, and it seems like a fun hobby.

Also, is a 6 inch backplate good or should I be looking for bigger/smaller? I realize I'll probably have to get a smaller one to get at the scratches behind the door handles. I've found the 7424xp for $100 refurbished online, and $120 new online.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,158 Posts
That's a good price for it. Usually Ken recommends a 5" backplate and a 3" backplate combination.

What you want is a set 3-4 of pads ranging from a finishing pad to one with good cutting power. Basically, if you're going with Lake Country pads... orange for heavy swirling, green for mild swirling, black for finishing up with sealant/wax. Wool if it's really bad but be careful with wool as it may burn through the paint.

Black - http://autowerkesexclusive.com/produ...Pad/index.html
Green - http://autowerkesexclusive.com/products/Polish-Accessories/Lake-Country-Flat-6-5--Green-Pad/index.html
Orange - http://autowerkesexclusive.com/produ...Pad/index.html
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
^^ where can i find one 120 new?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
^^ where can i find one 120 new?
Google it! It's in America though so I'm not too sure how much shipping would be + customs/duty.

thanks for the help roast puff. How long do those pads generally last? Are they one use only? Do I need a bunch of pads of the same type to do a single car (do they get worn out if I use one pad for the whole car) or I should be fine with just 1 of each?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You can reuse them over and over, just clean them.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered one to point roberts, should be arriving by next friday at the latest!

What do you guys use as far as polishes go? I want something that gives decent results and doesn't break the bank.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered one to point roberts, should be arriving by next friday at the latest!

What do you guys use as far as polishes go? I want something that gives decent results and doesn't break the bank.
I use Gloss-It One Step Machine Gloss because I'm lazy. It does a pretty good job! Ken stocks it. Fair amount of polishing ability, but you don't need a finishing polish afterwards. More aggressive/less aggressive products available as well.

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...oss/index.html

Menzerna Power Finish is a pretty standard product that a lot of people recommend.

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...3--/index.html

I like getting my polish from Ken because he will support you and help you learn how to use it. If you have questions he can answer them almost instantly as well because he's used every product he sells.
fml
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
The Brown Reason

Its pretty hard to tell what I'm gonna need. I think I may be better off just taking one of the more damaged vehicles out to him, and getting what he suggests. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #9

Yup - that's what I've found to be the best as well. Take the car out to Ken, have him take a look and recommend the next step to take.
fml