REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Stunting (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626548-drivesmartbc-stunting.html)

skidmark 10-03-2010 09:27 AM

DriveSmartBC - Stunting

"stunt" means circumstances in which, taking into account the condition of the highway, traffic, visibility and weather, the driver or operator of a motor vehicle is driving or operating the motor vehicle without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that is likely to cause harm to an individual or likely to distract, startle or interfere with users of the highway by doing any of the following: causing any or all of the motor vehicle's tires to lift from the road surface; causing the motor vehicle to lose traction while turning the motor vehicle; driving the motor vehicle in a manner to cause the motor vehicle to spin; driving the motor vehicle in a lane intended for oncoming traffic for longer than necessary to pass another vehicle; slowing or stopping the motor vehicle in a manner that prevents other motor vehicles from passing or in a manner that blocks or impedes other motor vehicles; without justification, driving as close as possible to another motor vehicle, a pedestrian, or a fixed object.

"Or in other words," I overheard someone say, "all the things that I used to do when I was a teenager!" We knew it wasn't the proper thing to do then and as of September 20, 2010 the penalties for doing these things on our highways have gone up, reminding us that it still isn't the right thing to do now.

When police intend to charge a driver for driving without due care or driving without reasonable consideration for others using the highway for performing a stunt, they are required by the Motor Vehicle Act to impound the vehicle as well. The impound period is 7 days if it is a first offence, 30 days if it is a second offence or 60 days if it is a third offence within 2 years.

Towing and storage charges are the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

Reference Links

sebberry 10-03-2010 09:36 AM

"slowing or stopping the motor vehicle in a manner that prevents other motor vehicles from passing or in a manner that blocks or impedes other motor vehicles"

I had an incident this morning that I would like to know if it falls under "stunting".

We're always taught in driver's ed that if you are being tailgated, slow down a bit or if possible pull off the roadway.

I was the only car on a two lane road, driving at the speed limit. At least 200 meters behind me, a Toyota SUV turned onto the road and proceeded to speed up and tailgate me. Now he easily saw that I was doing the speed limit and should have had no problem maintaining that 200m distance, but instead sped up and latched onto my rear bumper.

I slowed down to 40 to express my displeasure (and increase my reaction space should I need to stop suddenly) as there wasn't anywhere safe and convenient for me to pull off to. Once he figured it out, he backed off and I resumed my previous speed.

Was I impeding traffic in such a way that this law would have applied?

(Apologies in advance to Soundy for another preposterous example.)

skidmark 10-03-2010 12:42 PM

I learned the same thing and still think that it is a valid strategy for dealing with other drivers who follow you too closely. Slowing to 40 in a 50 or 60 zone is appropriate, but slowing to 40 in an 80 or 90 zone might not be. At any rate, I would like to hope that an explanation of the circumstances would prevent an officer from applying a stunting impound.

Soundy 10-03-2010 02:02 PM

I find a more effective strategy in such an instance is to push the brake pedal just enough to light up the brake lights, without actually slowing the car. Gets the message across without physically slowing or impeding traffic, or creating a real safety hazard.

Quote:

(Apologies in advance to Soundy for another preposterous example.)
It's really quite amazing how, no matter what Skidmark posts about new laws, penalties, etc... you always seem to have JUST had an incident on the road related to that topic.

Perhaps if you're having so many close calls or questionable circumstances, the real danger on the road is YOU, and you'd be safer just staying home.

lowside67 10-03-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7129701)
We're always taught in driver's ed that if you are being tailgated, slow down a bit or if possible pull off the roadway.

Seriously, slow down further? Seems like a no-brainer way to increase road rage and increase the chances of them doing something stupid to get around you. We were taught to maintain your speed but not to antagonize them, just to try and get them by you either by pulling over, changing lanes, etc.

gars 10-03-2010 03:58 PM

i don't know about slowing down, i would definitely flash my brake lights a few times just to let them know, and then maintain the speed. If it was a really bad tailgate, as in a few feet away, then i would slow down.

Inaii 10-03-2010 04:38 PM

I was never taught to slow down. As someone already said, that increases chances of a road rage incident. I was told to pull over if safe or allow them enough passing room. But if I'm in the right lane (already designated for slow drivers) I just ignore them. They can change lanes if they're in such a hurry.

Would passing on the right be considered stunting? It follows the same criteria if I'm not mistaken. I had it happen to me a couple days before my road test, and my instructor couldn't provide any clarification.
Posted via RS Mobile

Oleophobic 10-03-2010 06:51 PM

It bugs me how some of you guys were "never taught" to slow down when tailgated when it is clearly stated in the ICBC Roadsense book? It's been a little over 6 years since I read the book (ok maybe to some of you guys this isn't long) and I still distinctly remember that the book tells you to slow down so you leave more space in front in the event you need to stop suddenly. More space in front means you can stop more gradually and the tailgater is less likely to hit you.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3947/spacevz.jpg

Soundy 10-03-2010 06:58 PM

Some of us predate the "RoadSense" program itself, let alone the current version of the book.

Oleophobic 10-03-2010 08:01 PM

I'm pretty sure this is stated in the older driving manuals too.
I dug up my dad's driving manual back in the early 90s (small white rectangular book) and a lot of the rules in there were the same.
including the turning left on a red light onto a one-way street = legal

anyhow if this tailgating response strategy really wasn't stated in the older manuals then I apologize.
Oh well. But one thing I know is that there are a ton of 20something year olds who were around when this roadsense thing started, who have forgotten about this already, not to mention teenagers who've already forgotten despite the fact they should've "read" the book recently.

stevo911_ 10-04-2010 02:38 PM

Slowing down is to increase your safety buffer in front of you so that if you have to stop suddenly you have more room to stop without being rear-ended by the tailgater

Fuhrėr-Z 10-04-2010 07:15 PM

Honestly, if someone slowed down to 40 km/h infront of me I'd probably develop road rage from that fact alone.

Usually when I get tailgated, I just push down enough to light the brake lights, if that doesn't work, I start tapping the lights randomly... Works every time, driver behind me figures that I'm potentially out of my mind :D

snowball 10-06-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 7131346)
Slowing down is to increase your safety buffer in front of you so that if you have to stop suddenly you have more room to stop without being rear-ended by the tailgater

While that is true, if there aren't any cars in front of you there's no need to slow down to 40 in a 50 zone. Some people do it in purpose just to annoy you.

Nicotine 10-06-2010 10:57 AM

i was taught to flash ur hazards if u start to feel like buddy behind u is getting to close.

TheNewGirl 10-06-2010 12:43 PM

I was taught to slow down as well. But I usually tap my breaks once or twice as a warning to who ever is glued to my bumper first. THEN if they don't back off I slow down.

I'm curious if passing on the right qualifies as "stunting" as well.

stevo911_ 10-06-2010 02:38 PM

Heres a question, saw a guy get pulled over after riding over the brick part of a traffic circle on a dirtbike today. think this but on a smaller scale, basically cut the corner over the brick portion): http://www.westhamptonbeach.org/imag...fic-circle.jpg
Is something like that going to be considered stunting now? Regardless seems like a pretty dumb move to do when you're riding in front of a cop car :p

Soundy 10-06-2010 05:15 PM

Did anyone actually READ the original post?

Quote:

"stunt" means circumstances in which, taking into account the condition of the highway, traffic, visibility and weather, the driver or operator of a motor vehicle is driving or operating the motor vehicle without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that is likely to cause harm to an individual or likely to distract, startle or interfere with users of the highway by doing any of the following:
Simply riding over the brick area of a roundabout, or passing on the right, wouldn't really qualify *on their own*.

sebberry 10-06-2010 05:56 PM

When it snows around here a lot of people like to go play in the Costco parking lot. They either do donuts or simply brush up on their snow handling skills.

If a cop drove by, this probably would have only resulted in a "go away".

Would this now be considered stunting?

Soundy 10-06-2010 09:46 PM

I was coming home really late the other night... going a little fast, whipped around the corner from the highway onto our main street. Musta caught a rut, because the car went up on two wheels... then halfway down the block, there was a flatbed hauler with his ramp down, well... I couldn't turn in time, and I went up the ramp, launched in the air, did a full barrel roll, and actually landed on my wheels.

There was NO other traffic around, so I wasn't distracting or affecting anyone else... it wasn't intentional at all, just the result of going a little too fast around the corner... no harm, no foul, right? Would this still be considered "stunting"?

stevo911_ 10-06-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7133916)
Did anyone actually READ the original post?
Simply riding over the brick area of a roundabout.

I was wondering because there are some potentially key words that may (or may not be) overlooked, and am wondering if something like that would be considered a fixed object or something of the like, as it seems kind of stuntyish but from the wording doesnt quite seem to fit. (unless you did a wheelie up onto or off of it)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7129692)
... by doing any of the following: ...without justification, driving as close as possible to ... a fixed object.

sho_bc 10-07-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7133977)
When it snows around here a lot of people like to go play in the Costco parking lot. They either do donuts or simply brush up on their snow handling skills.

If a cop drove by, this probably would have only resulted in a "go away".

Would this now be considered stunting?

I dealt with a similar situation involving 6 people/3 cars, in rain instead of snow, last year. They "borrowed" traffic cones that weren't in use from a nearby gravel lot. Wide open industrial parking lot (think of the Silvercity Riverport lot, with fewer lamp poles) on the weekend at ~2am. Young kids in their first cars taking turns learning the limits in relatively low-speed conditions. I explained the dangers, the concerns of the property representatives who called it in and the alternative (legal) locations and venues. I sent them on their way after a 5 minute lecture.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I pulled over one of the cars from that incident for something completely unrelated. Spoke with the driver who remembered the way the situation was handled and had positive feedback. He hadn't had a ticket or police file since.

Would I do the same today? If the circumstances were identical, yes. I left them with a positive experience with a lesson learned instead of a "stupid cops giving tickets even though no one was around" bitterness from the $1000+ tickets I could have given and a lesson not likely learned because of it.

Soundy 10-07-2010 04:52 AM

"...and the alternative (legal) locations and venues."

Yeah... like the Driving Center parking lot! :D

sebberry 10-07-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7134567)
I dealt with a similar situation involving 6 people/3 cars, in rain instead of snow, last year. They "borrowed" traffic cones that weren't in use from a nearby gravel lot. Wide open industrial parking lot (think of the Silvercity Riverport lot, with fewer lamp poles) on the weekend at ~2am. Young kids in their first cars taking turns learning the limits in relatively low-speed conditions. I explained the dangers, the concerns of the property representatives who called it in and the alternative (legal) locations and venues. I sent them on their way after a 5 minute lecture.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I pulled over one of the cars from that incident for something completely unrelated. Spoke with the driver who remembered the way the situation was handled and had positive feedback. He hadn't had a ticket or police file since.

Would I do the same today? If the circumstances were identical, yes. I left them with a positive experience with a lesson learned instead of a "stupid cops giving tickets even though no one was around" bitterness from the $1000+ tickets I could have given and a lesson not likely learned because of it.

Thanks for sharing.

I will admit to having fun in the snow at Costco once. I wasn't doing the usual hooligan donuts, I was simply practicing some steering and stopping. The next day I bought winter tires. I would really hope that nobody gets a stunting impound for brushing up on winter driving skills.

sebberry 10-07-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7134319)
I was coming home really late the other night... going a little fast, whipped around the corner from the highway onto our main street. Musta caught a rut, because the car went up on two wheels... then halfway down the block, there was a flatbed hauler with his ramp down, well... I couldn't turn in time, and I went up the ramp, launched in the air, did a full barrel roll, and actually landed on my wheels.

There was NO other traffic around, so I wasn't distracting or affecting anyone else... it wasn't intentional at all, just the result of going a little too fast around the corner... no harm, no foul, right? Would this still be considered "stunting"?

Only if you were wearing an Evil Kenevil costume.

Oleophobic 10-07-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7134319)

:rofl:
I was picturing the whole thing as I was reading it XD.