REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Where to test drive 2011 subaru STi? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626571-where-test-drive-2011-subaru-sti.html)

LanEvoMR 10-03-2010 02:05 PM

Where to test drive 2011 subaru STi?

I am seriously considering getting the 2011 subaru STi, but so far I have had no luck with finding anywhere to test drive. The salesmen just say that no one test drives the STi, they just buy it. But I find it pretty difficult to buy a car that I have not even test driven.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

I am deciding between regular WRX and the STi. The payments on the WRX are considerably lower. Is the STi worth the extra money?

twitchyzero 10-03-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvoMR (Post 7129968)
The salesmen just say that no one test drives the STi, they just buy it.

sounds like a load of shit to me
they probably get many young guys pretending to be prospective buyers but just abuse the car during test drives..it probably helps if you go in with your parents or sthing

TOS'd 10-03-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvoMR (Post 7129968)
it. But I find it pretty difficult to buy a car that I have not even test driven.

Well, take a look at the new Evo(as an example), you can't test drive that either, Yet ppl still buy it.

J-Chow 10-03-2010 03:36 PM

wear a business suit and walk into Richmond Subaru.

LanEvoMR 10-03-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 7130066)
wear a business suit and walk into Richmond Subaru.

I hope you're not serious with that advice. I'm not there to impress anyone; if anything, the salesmen should be there to impress me.

6insomnia9 10-03-2010 03:46 PM

What a bunch of bullshit, who doesn't test drive the car they want before they buy it.

DavidNguyen 10-03-2010 03:58 PM

I remember when the honda civic si came out. They wouldn't let people test it either. LoL
Posted via RS Mobile

ilvtofu 10-03-2010 04:01 PM

Test drive the hatch instead?

LanEvoMR 10-03-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7130107)
Test drive the hatch instead?

They said they don't have any STi's to test drive, regardless of sedan or hatch. There were ones on the lot, but they said no one is allowed to test drive them because no one wants to buy a car with mileage on it. And there are no dedicated demo STi's.

TRD Rs200 10-03-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvoMR (Post 7130110)
They said they don't have any STi's to test drive, regardless of sedan or hatch. There were ones on the lot, but they said no one is allowed to test drive them because no one wants to buy a car with mileage on it. And there are no dedicated demo STi's.

I call BS!

TOS'd 10-03-2010 04:15 PM

^^ which is understandable. Just go test drive a WRX. if they still say no, then maybe you should wait till the demand is less? i thought they were still fulfilling preorders.

Jgresch 10-03-2010 04:18 PM

Each subaru store only gets a couple STIs which are usually spoken for anyways. I've been in twice to the subbie dealer in North shore while my car was being serviced and both times they didnt have any stis, and all the ones on the way were already spoken for...

if you were the sales person, what woudl you rather:
A) a person who buys it over the phone 6 months early and picks it up with no questions asked.
B) A younger guy coming for a test drive who is gonna ask a million questions and possibly not even buy the car...

oldsnail 10-03-2010 04:21 PM

i was looking to drive one few years ago.. dealer indicated that they are low demand vehicles and do not have demo sti's for people to test drive. people usually know what it is when they buy it..

but they let me drive a used one instead back then..

CivicS 10-03-2010 04:21 PM

I've been to several dealerships and none of them let you test drive the STI. I think unless you are deeply connected to the dealership or you have purchased several cars from them then maybe the chances are higher.

They used to do it and then realized that the car wont sell, because no one wants to buy a demo STI.

Good luck!

LanEvoMR 10-03-2010 04:27 PM

Good to know that it seems to be the consensus among all the dealerships. Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile

van_driver 10-03-2010 04:32 PM

It's true, performance cars are harder to get out on the road for a test drive. Salesman at Brian Jessel told me he's been on some crazy test drives in M3s.

LanEvoMR 10-03-2010 04:34 PM

Funny you say that because I've found it easier to test drive M3's than the STI, considering the M3 sticker price is double
Posted via RS Mobile

Euro7r 10-03-2010 04:36 PM

Damn, that's retarded then. Dropping $40K for an STI and can't even test drive it. How the hell are people suppose to know how it drives if they have never driven a subaru before. The hell is this, they make it seem like the car is made out of gold, that it's not allowed to be touched or driven.

If it's a luxury sportscar, then I would understand.

TOS'd 10-03-2010 04:41 PM

It's not JUST subaru with STIs..like I said, go to Mitsubishi and ask them to test drive an EVO X.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 7130153)
Damn, that's retarded then. Dropping $40K for an STI and can't even test drive it. How the hell are people suppose to know how it drives if they have never driven a subaru before. The hell is this, they make it seem like the car is made out of gold, that it's not allowed to be touched or driven.

van_driver 10-03-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvoMR (Post 7130146)
Funny you say that because I've found it easier to test drive M3's than the STI, considering the M3 sticker price is double
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm guessing it's because BMWs line up consists of much more pricier cars then the M3. Whereas Subaru's most expensive car is the STi (correct me if i'm wrong). I'd assume it would be harder to take out an M6 or 760 out for a drive.

CivicS 10-03-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 7130153)

Think of it from the dealership point of view, if you wont buy it because you cant test drive, then they will just tell you to move on, because the next person in line will buy it without requesting a test drive.

They don't have problem moving STIs at MSRP.

FerrariEnzo 10-03-2010 05:09 PM

it makes sense.. ask yourself this, would you buy a demo STi? even tho you know its been on numerous test drives??? and its the only STi left???

Jgresch 10-03-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7130158)
It's not JUST subaru with STIs..like I said, go to Mitsubishi and ask them to test drive an EVO X.

I test drove an X... they were pretty hesitant though, but they went for it.

flagella 10-03-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvoMR (Post 7130087)
I hope you're not serious with that advice. I'm not there to impress anyone; if anything, the salesmen should be there to impress me.

That is salesman's job, but they deal with plenty of shit people every day and being a human, they can't always give 100% satisfactory services to anyone, especially with years of experiences he can sort of tell whether you are a potential buyer or not. If you are just a young guy wearing casually, and just go in for a test drive, the first thing that comes to their head is that this guy is just gonna take a joy ride.

You can complain all you want like there's no way you're gonna buy a car unless you can test drive, or that it's not like this particular car is an exotic, but if they don't want to give you a test drive, you can't do shit about it.

Just like once I was visiting clothing shops in downtown with a formal wear, sales people just kept coming to me with an attitude better than when I go with casual wear. It's all about perception.

6thGear. 10-03-2010 06:26 PM

Don Docksteader has 2 2011 STI's. I asked about the WRX, which they don;t have any in stock, and I was told they won't even bring any in unless I buy one. None to test drive or even to look at. i was also told all the WRX's coming in are sold already. I never asked, but made me wonder how many people really did buy a WRX before seeing it. I wouldn't make that choice until I'm on a test drive.

And no, I wasn't looking to joyride one either. I do drive a 07 WRX