REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Outdoor storage

Can anyone tell me the best way to store a car outside?? And outside during the winter? I was thinking of covering it with a tarp or an outdoor car cover but figured mildew and mold would build up underneath it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement

Last edited by SkydiveDan; 10-04-2010 at 10:12 AM.
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
hmm how long you planning on storing it for? only for winter? maybe this if you got the extra cash :P
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

89' Skyline GTS-T - Big Turbo Widebody
1990 FC RX7 - Tap Walls, Bang Limiters

1998 Integra - RIP
1992 Celica GT -
SOLD
1985 Trans Am Firebird - SOLD
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiCii View Post
hmm how long you planning on storing it for? only for winter? maybe this if you got the extra cash :P
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Don't have room for that!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you don't have room for a canopy, then i would suggest a couple coats of a very durable wax like collinite 476 or 845, Autoglym Hi Def or something along those lines. Do all the jambs and wheels as well. Get a good trickle charger like a CY TEK so your battery doesn't die on you. ALso, get some fuel stabilizer for the gas tank. If you put a tarp over top, there is a good chance that the moisture trapped between the tarp and your roof could cause the paint to go cloudy. Safer just to wax it.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
If you don't have room for a canopy, then i would suggest a couple coats of a very durable wax like collinite 476 or 845, Autoglym Hi Def or something along those lines. Do all the jambs and wheels as well. Get a good trickle charger like a CY TEK so your battery doesn't die on you. ALso, get some fuel stabilizer for the gas tank. If you put a tarp over top, there is a good chance that the moisture trapped between the tarp and your roof could cause the paint to go cloudy. Safer just to wax it.
Thanks Ken, that's what I was planning to do since there is no way I could get a tent over it. And a car cover is a bit of an eye sore in the area where it's currently parked.
I bought the Collinite 476 from you for my black MR2 and ended up putting a couple coats on my new CR-V. Easy to apply as long as you don't let it sit too long. It hasn't rained yet but I'm sure it will be well protected when it does. The CRV looks GREAT too... very slick. I will put a couple of coats on the MR2 and hopefully it doesn't snow too much while I'm storing it outside.
Do you have more 476 in stock? I'm going to pick up a couple more tins for Christmas gifts.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

I have a couple tins in stock but can get more on short notice. If I'm out, you could always get RG55. Its only $90 more per tin! Two coats of 476 will last forever without a doubt. Don't be surprised if its still beading next June. No shit.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Get a car cover. They're like 30-100 bucks at Canadian Tire or Lordco or wherever.
caviani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

just make sure your car is on private property and not the street otherwise you will be ticketed. Storage policies are not valid if the car is on the street.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviani View Post
Get a car cover. They're like 30-100 bucks at Canadian Tire or Lordco or wherever.
When buying a car cover, dont cheap out and buy the cheapest one. Reason why is because the the cheap covers can scratch your car and cause swirl marks. Remember to wash your car before you cover her up as well.

Personally i rather buy a portable carport, but unfortunately i dont have enough room in my driveway =[
Heres a good place to buy your carport from. They can adjust the Width or Length.
http://www.midlandcanopies.com/
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote