REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Uneven tread wear problem? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626928-uneven-tread-wear-problem.html)

wasabisashimi 10-07-2010 10:21 AM

Uneven tread wear problem?

My 2000 honda odyseey van (all stock, non modified) has uneven tread wear on the front two tires

On visual observation, I can see that the inner treads are as good as new, while the outer treads are nearly bold. Tires are 3 yrs old now

I am planning to replace the front two tires for safety season.

My question:

What is causing this? is it the alignment/camber??,,,, I check tire pressure regularly and they are set at recommanded 35 psi all the time.

Is there any other problem that can cause this?,, how come only the front tires get outside treadwear.

SumAznGuy 10-07-2010 10:25 AM

Check the alignment first.

Could be the camber is wrong, or a something is bent.

When you are driving, does the car pull to one side or does it track pretty straight on it's own?

Berzerker 10-07-2010 10:25 AM

Sounds like a camber/toe problem. Go get an alignment and it will sort out your problem. Get the alignment at the same time you get the new tires put on for best results.

If it was a camber problem you would notice a significant push in the rims. Meaning the top of the rim would be sticking further out than the bottom. If it is a toe problem then your wheels may be pointing slightly away from each other and causing uneven wear.

Berz out.

wasabisashimi 10-07-2010 11:44 AM

car doesnt pull particular to either side.

Is there alignment shops in Surrey that are good, so i dont have to take it to Advance in Richmond? (they are quite pricy too).

p.s. I dont want to take it to Sears for alignment and have some kid do it for 5 mins and tell me its ok.

!Aznboi128 10-07-2010 11:47 AM

Best aligment shop imo is dale' in langley.

with no pull it could be a camber problem. But the aligment guys will take care of you. Generally around 100 bucks
Posted via RS Mobile

the shocker 10-07-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !aznboi128 (Post 7135031)

with no pull it could be a camber problem. But the aligment guys will take care of you. Generally around 100 bucks
Posted via RS Mobile

it could be a camber problem but only if it was even camber on both sides, then it would not pull. Might be a Toe - in problem

Holeshot 10-07-2010 11:58 AM

its from a lack of tire rotations. most vehicles will do this to the front tires, either inner or outer. turn the steering wheel all the to the left or right and look how the wheels and tires are. they are not at 0 degree camber, it should be positive camber in your case.
your tire wear is just from a lack of rotation, even then it will still wear the outer tread more than the inner, on all 4 tires not just the fronts. extending the life on your tires. proper rotation intervals will wear all 4 tires evenly, even if it wearig the outer tread more.

wasabisashimi 10-07-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holeshot (Post 7135043)
its from a lack of tire rotations. most vehicles will do this to the front tires, either inner or outer. turn the steering wheel all the to the left or right and look how the wheels and tires are. they are not at 0 degree camber, it should be positive camber in your case.
your tire wear is just from a lack of rotation, even then it will still wear the outer tread more than the inner, on all 4 tires not just the fronts. extending the life on your tires. proper rotation intervals will wear all 4 tires evenly, even if it wearig the outer tread more.

what if the tires have the "directional arrows " that prevents you from rotating certain way?
Mine are hydroedge from michelin, I think they have arrows to indicate certain orientation of its installation

Berzerker 10-07-2010 12:24 PM

You still rotate front to back and then switch them on the rims after that for maximum tread life.

Berz out.

wasabisashimi 10-07-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !aznboi128 (Post 7135031)

Posted via RS Mobile

what is the full business name for Dale's alignement ..?? Dale's langley? I need to look it up on yellowpage

nelo 10-07-2010 07:07 PM

This might help you:

http://www.dalesalignment.com

impulseX 10-07-2010 09:37 PM

was going to point out, but other's already have. it's probably because you haven't rotated your tires?

shenmecar 10-09-2010 10:07 AM

Some cars are like that. Like for my IS300 which was aligned when I bought it. Put on some low tire wear rating Potenzas right after. 1 year later. I noticed the rear tires were wearing out on the inside and the front tires were wearing out on the outside. You just need to rotate the tires often. My car didnt pull to either side, and it drove straight as an arrow. On the alignment sheet when I got it, it said caster, toe and camber was all in spec too.