REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Vancouver 5Speed Trans Swap for 99 Prelude

Hello, Im new here, so im not 100% where its best to post this question. Honda/Acura section? or Vancouver section? so i apologize in advance if this is the wrong place! ;p

Anyway...

I have a 1999 Honda Prelude, Auto SS (Sport shift) trans. And im hoping to find trusty mechanic(s) who can do a 5Speed swap for my car in the Vancouver region.

for something as complicated as this, I am hoping for a mechanic who has done many manual trans swaps for hondas/acuras, and hopefully 5 Speed swap SPECIFICALLY for 5th Gen Preludes (97-01), because from my research, some parts are very tricky for this car.

I have talked to a place called Drive Hard in Richmond. and they tried talking me out of it (understandably), however, from their tone, it sounds as if they wouldnt be able to do it even if i had paid them.

Thanks for your time!
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
I have talked to a place called Drive Hard in Richmond. and they tried talking me out of it (understandably), however, from their tone, it sounds as if they wouldnt be able to do it even if i had paid them.
DH tried to talk you out of this idea because it is not worth the trouble and money.

Once upon a time, I was in plan to a tran. swap for my Acura TSX as well (AT->MT).
My friend talked me out of it since it won't be my last car.

He was right and now I ditched the TSX and own 2 MT cars.

my 2cents
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

garage5
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Sell your current autotragic prelude and buy a 5 speed one.
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

hi, thanks for the replies.

i understand its not "efficient" to do a 5 speed swap. however, i am currently working 7 days a week... which means shopping for another prelude would be rather difficult. (also, incase it wasnt obvious, i still want a prelude ;p)

money... obviously is an issue, but... to me, time = money. the time i spend looking for another decent, clean, well taken care of, prelude may end up taking longer than the time i make the money to do a swap.

HOWEVER, i WILL be shopping around on the internet for any potential decent manual preludes to buy.

I will check out Garage5 too.

Thanks again guys! if anyone else has any other shops too, please feel free to post. the more places i can quote for prices the better ;D
Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Do it yourself...not very hard. LOTS of guides and manuals, and these sites will help www.preludepower.com www.preludeonline.com in the end you will get to know your car alot better and save a ton of money.
cityvanluder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
A friend of mine went with Garage 5 for his Prelude AT/MT swap; seemed like they did a pretty good job and I think their pricing was reasonable.

That said, if you can possibly spare the time, selling and buying an MT is honestly a lot more cost effective. The few thousand dollars you would save has to be more than you make in the couple days' worth of time you'd have to dedicate to showing your old car to sell, and checking out a new one.

I think it only really made sense for my friend because he felt that his car was pretty mint and that he'd probably never find another like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvanluder View Post
Do it yourself...not very hard. LOTS of guides and manuals, and these sites will help www.preludepower.com www.preludeonline.com in the end you will get to know your car alot better and save a ton of money.
You're kidding me right? If he doesn't even have time to sell his car then how would he possibly have time to do a tranny swap?

Ontop of that, he might not have a garage, he likely doesn't have tools, and he likely has little experience working on his car. It'll take him 1-2 weeks to do it if he has none of these. And he'll likely fuck something up in the process and wind up taking even longer and incurring even more expense if he doesn't have a mechanic buddy he can consult.

Last edited by RabidRat; 10-09-2010 at 02:15 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
basic conversion would require:

- 5speed tranny
- 1 new axle (forgot if its driver side or passenger side)
- ecu (dont remember if they can manipulate the automatic one to work)
- clutch pedal assembly
- clutch master, clutch slave, line that runs between them
- clutch, flywheel, pressure plate (usually comes with clutch as a "clutch kit")
- manual shifter assembly w/ shift linkage cables
- plugging the mini auto tranny cooler part on the auto radiator

they would have to disable the P lock, which shouldnt be too hard.

additional parts if u want to look oem or upgrade while ur at it.
- new gauge cluster, otherwise ull have the PRND in the cluster, most ppl dont care.
- better clutch kit
- optional oem lsd tranny, or even an aftermarket lsd.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
just sell ur lude and get another one.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...994560367.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...994322526.html
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Just sent you a PM.
Mz3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
basic conversion would require:

- 5speed tranny
- 1 new axle (forgot if its driver side or passenger side)
- ecu (dont remember if they can manipulate the automatic one to work)
- clutch pedal assembly
- clutch master, clutch slave, line that runs between them
- clutch, flywheel, pressure plate (usually comes with clutch as a "clutch kit")
- manual shifter assembly w/ shift linkage cables
- plugging the mini auto tranny cooler part on the auto radiator

they would have to disable the P lock, which shouldnt be too hard.

additional parts if u want to look oem or upgrade while ur at it.
- new gauge cluster, otherwise ull have the PRND in the cluster, most ppl dont care.
- better clutch kit
- optional oem lsd tranny, or even an aftermarket lsd.
don't forget interior trim bits around the shifter.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Selling his autotragic would take a longggg time, anyone whos knows anything about auto ludes will stay away lol
cityvanluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #13

hi guys, thanks for the replies!

yes, im aware some people do the swap themselves. but rabidrat is correct. i dont have a garage or the necassary tools. and of course time is limited. i am very ok with just paying someone lol...

@Mz3X: thanks for the PM, i emailed you.

currently awaiting garage5 to reply my email.

i have found lists of everything required for the full swap, so thats fine.

selling my prelude would also take a long time, i agree. swap is probably the best way to go right now for me. not to mention how picky i am about color. (i only want black/white), mine is currently black.

selling and buying another prelude kinda sounds like a hassle due to going through insurance etc again. not to mention i JUST bought my prelude in JUNE. (i was rushed to buy it for job hunting). however, i wont rule out rebuying, i WILL still shop around just incase. and maybe sell my car to a dealer? (and take a larger loss, but save time?)

thank you again everyone, for your comments/suggestions!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

call kevin at evolution auto performance in maple ridge. they did my auto/manual swap and they did a great job.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #15

^hi, thanks for the referral!

this may be a dumb question, but is your car a 97-01 prelude?
just want to be sure, as i prefer mechanics who have done the swap for specifically 5th gen preludes.

thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
hm, how long do you work a day? perhaps if you've found another prelude that satisfies you, maybe you can find time before or after work to take a look/insure? or even try to ask them to come to your workplace so you can take a look at it on your break or something i understand you want to save time and money, but the swap will burn both! wouldn't it be better to take 1-2hours out of your day to get that prelude? cause an auto>5spd conversion takes much longer than 2 hours. instead of blowing a few grand just for the conversion, you can spend a few hours to get the prelude you wanted. you'll also get some money back once you sell the prelude that you currently own good luck though!

89' Skyline GTS-T - Big Turbo Widebody
1990 FC RX7 - Tap Walls, Bang Limiters

1998 Integra - RIP
1992 Celica GT -
SOLD
1985 Trans Am Firebird - SOLD
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #17

^thanks for the feedback ;D

i work 9 hours (8 with a 1 hour lunch) on weekdays. i get off work at 6pm, get home at 6:30s, plus fall is here, and it gets dark pretty quick now ~6 hours on saturday (1 student, then drive to the next student). and 4 hours on sunday (2 hours +~2 hour driving to and from).

sundays may be the only time i get to shop... however, sundays are kinda... family time. plus its sunday... no one does anything productive on sundays xD im getting lazier and lazier, not to mention super tired from all the work, to want to go out and shop for cars on the weekends ;[

i was hoping to maybe ditch my car at a mechanic for the swap, and pick it up whenever they finish. if they take more than a weak, i may take transit to where i need to.

i am still weighing my options. i have emailed garage5, and evolution auto, currently awaiting their reply. still looking at local ads etc for any decent ones. (however, from experience i shopped alot before i bought my current prelude, and most advertisements are BS, "good condition" is actually "not very good, but not horrible" ;s
Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
still not worth it for swap.

just get a buddy to shop for you..?

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
it sounds like you already know that selling the auto and buying a manual is a better route to go. you're just trying to find reasons to justify not doing so. something this major on a car is not something i'd " settle " for (in regards to the swap)
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
I don't get it

a guide to the parts you will need:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=302157

Last edited by Tillerz; 10-14-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Tillerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #21

^hi, thanks. i'll definitely keep that in mind, if i proceed with the swap.

so... i know this sounds "bull" and too "scripted", but JUST today, when washing my car, the tranny started showing its first signs of dying. when i went from D to R, it CLUNKED really hard. from my research, thats one of the signs.

what are the odds of it happening RIGHT when i decide to change it? ;( its like my prelude is psychic and is punishing me...

on that note, i think selling my car is gonna be harder than i thought... if i sell to a dealer, i gotta pray they wont notice it (lol... yeah right). and i would feel to guilty to sell it to non dealers, because its like purposely selling a broken car ;s

now i gotta pay to repair this, and sell/buy new one. or swap...

ASKJDHASKJHDAKSLHDAKSHDAKLSJDHSLAK no one has replied my email regarding the swap yet ;(
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,063 Times in 554 Posts
its the long weekend.. be patient man =.=
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #23

^yeah i know. *awaiting patiently!*

it just... kinda hit me really fast. didnt think it would start dying on me so soon. to be honest, it was running perfectly for a few months, and i was only "planning ahead" for when the day comes that i need to switch to manual. this is my first car too... so it hurts twice as much. worked my ass off to pay for the car too ;s

i bought it from a honda dealership. so im gonna contact them on tuesday (when long weekend is over), and HOPE *HOPE! they will consider that a "warranty" situation. even though second hand cars are often "as is", a dealership hopefully will maintain some kind of decent customer service ;(
Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Any warranty should have been disclosed when you bought the car. Other than that it is sold as is. They aren't the salvation army lol.
If you plan to keep this car for awhile, just do the swap.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
I don't get it

if you use it as a daily driver, be carefull as sometimes the transmission will "lose gears"

this is what happened to my 97 auto lude before i converted to manual.
I was driving and all of a sudden i noticed my transmission lost 2nd gear. so it would go from 1st to 3rd then 4th. and then later down the road, about a week later, i lost reverse! it was so hard planning my day without having to use my reverse gear. sometimes the gear would come back and be used by the transmission, but would end up going out again.

by the time i had it swapped, i only had 1st gear left. i could only go from 0-60 km/h in a forward direction, it was horrible, and 60km/h was revving at like 7k rpm.

if you depend on it a lot, get it done before it becomes a pain in the butt.
Tillerz is offline   Reply With Quote