REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hagen's of Blaine VS Pacific Mail and Parcel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/627102-hagens-blaine-vs-pacific-mail-parcel.html)

illicitstylz 10-09-2010 07:07 AM

Hagen's of Blaine VS Pacific Mail and Parcel

I frequent the U.S. (once every two weeks) to pick up items I've shipped over there ( clothing, car parts, etc ) as well as filling up on cheaper gas as a secondary reason.

Always been with Hagen's of Blaine but now that they've increased their prices, it's not as competitive anymore, so I'm considering switching.

Hagen's of Blaine

-3.50 / package (up to 50 lbs), includes phone call to notify that your parcel is received and ready for pick up
- top notch quality, maybe it's just because I'm a regular so they let things slide sometimes like not needing to wait till 3PM to pick up the item if it arrived that same day.
-hold for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks, every additional day is $0.50

Pacific Mail and Parcel

- 13.00 / year
- 2.50 / small package ( To be considered a "SMALL" package, it must be...
(A) A Priority Mail type of document envelope, OR,
(B) SMALLER than 9 inches in length and 2-1/2 inches thick. )

-2.90 medium (6-50lbs)
- email notification of a received parcel
- hold for 2 weeks, every additional 3 weeks is $2

note: not considering Pt. Roberts / TSB since all the customs know that when canadians cross to Pt. Roberts, chances are they will be bringing back goods into Canada, therefore higher chance of getting taxed.

I know there has to be other members here that have gone through this or have insight on one or the other, any insight would be appreciated.

StylinRed 10-09-2010 07:31 AM

i prefer package express over at the abbotsford border cross into sumas

might be too far out for you i guess... but the owner lives in abby and he'll even bring your packages through customs for you if you want (there's a fee of course but if your a regular its not all the time)

im not sure about the other places but PE is also able to refrigerate goods for you if its needed (i imagine thats not exactly unique but its good to know) i order wagyu steaks and cheesecakes lychees etc at times from places in the states and they're able to store it in case i cant make it sameday

syee 10-09-2010 07:43 AM

One more thing you might want to consider:
*When are they open? If you can only go on weekends, are they open Saturday or Sundays? If not do they have an option for a drop box where you can pick up anytime?

I'd probably say most packages fit in the "medium" category so it seems maybe Hagens is the better bet. Plus you've used them before and they've been good to you so why switch?

I personally use Security Mail Services in Blaine. They're a little pricier than what you mentioned but I also keep a mailbox with them (for my US mail) which gives me no charge on USPS deliveries and $2.50 on everything else. They charge $5 for larger items like tires, etc. The mailbox costs me $8/mo. They're open Saturdays from 10-2 and offer drop box option for $4 (they lock your items in a larger cabinet and leave a key in your mailbox)

1BADMR2 10-09-2010 07:53 AM

illicitstylz 10-09-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7137528)
One more thing you might want to consider:
*When are they open? If you can only go on weekends, are they open Saturday or Sundays? If not do they have an option for a drop box where you can pick up anytime?

I'd probably say most packages fit in the "medium" category so it seems maybe Hagens is the better bet. Plus you've used them before and they've been good to you so why switch?

I personally use Security Mail Services in Blaine. They're a little pricier than what you mentioned but I also keep a mailbox with them (for my US mail) which gives me no charge on USPS deliveries and $2.50 on everything else. They charge $5 for larger items like tires, etc. The mailbox costs me $8/mo. They're open Saturdays from 10-2 and offer drop box option for $4 (they lock your items in a larger cabinet and leave a key in your mailbox)

Hours are the same essentially.
Economically, prices are better at Pacific Parcel and Mail. Key thing I'm honing in on would be customer service and experience that other people have had. Not talking about the " Hey again, how are you doing?" type of customer service, but in regards to lost packages/damaged goods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BADMR2 (Post 7137538)
I really like Hagens of Blaine, never had a problem and once they know you, they help you out. By how much have they increased their prices now?
NVM, just read on it.
Still sounds reasonable to me.

It used to be $2 to receive/store for 2 weeks, $1 for the call to notify you personally that you can pick up the item.

Now it's up $0.50 to $2.50 per package, and still $1 for the call. $0.50 seems negligible but adds up.

I have to agree with you that they have a very friendly staff and quick to get your packages so you're on your way asap.

bootymac 10-09-2010 08:58 AM

Gh0stRider 10-09-2010 09:18 AM

I always goto Hagens.

wheres pacific mail and parcel?

illicitstylz 10-09-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootymac (Post 7137582)
I don't pick packages up from Blaine that often, but when I do I use Hagen's because they don't have any registration fees. I know they're trying to implement email notifications right now but it'll still cost the extra $1.

If you're picking packages up frequently, there's also SMS near Hagen's:

Do you have experience with SMS? Seems like their rates are the most reasonable, surfed their site but they don't have any notification options, so that's why it's probably cheaper.

Do you know if they allow multiple people to be assigned to one "address" ? I know Pacific Parcel and Mail does not which is one of the reasons I'm not fully convinced to go with them yet since it's usually me and a few friends that will be using it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 7137591)
I always goto Hagens.

wheres pacific mail and parcel?

No more than a 2-3 minute drive from Hagen's

http://www.pacificmailandparcel.com/...NedREDUCED.jpg

shenmecar 10-09-2010 09:49 AM

When is the best time to go during the week to avoid traffic at the border?

smoothie. 10-09-2010 10:35 AM

the last 3 times i've picked up from pt roberts + letter carrier, I was completely honest with invoices ready at the window. no tax.

last two trips were $200 and $320

1BADMR2 10-09-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 7137618)
When is the best time to go during the week to avoid traffic at the border?

Amuse 10-09-2010 04:11 PM

Pacific Mail and Parcel has a good registration system. Parcels are organized better as they have a section for you. So they won't give them to another person with the same name.

Amuse 10-09-2010 04:13 PM

TSB Shipping in Point Roberts emailed another guy with the same name to pick MY parcel up. Unbelievable.

InvisibleSoul 10-09-2010 04:36 PM

Amazingly I haven't been pulled in to pay duties the last 5-6 times I've gone to Point Roberts. Went today and brought back a pair of shoes and a bunch of novelty t-shirts for like $120, but he just waved me through. :D

RCubed 10-09-2010 04:41 PM

I normally goto TSB at point bob; but when I had a weird work schedule where TSB hours couldn't accomodate me, Hagens came through with their 8PM closing times on Wednesdays.

Edit:
I just realized Pacific mail started opening late on wednesdays too. Started Aug 11.

Energy 10-09-2010 05:01 PM

I use TSB at Pt Roberts and getting taxed is a hit or miss. I've been taxed for items costing $130 (Mugen bushings) and not taxed for items that cost up to $300.

optiblue 10-09-2010 05:58 PM

I just pay the tax at the letter carrier... worked fine for years!

Are Hagens and Pacific Mail and Parcel exactly the same type of service in blaine or do you need to register a box with them?

illicitstylz 10-09-2010 06:04 PM

Don't need to register for Hagens, you do with Pacific Mail and Parcel (PMP) but PMP ends up being cheaper in the long run if you use it frequently

syee 10-10-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illicitstylz (Post 7137599)
Do you have experience with SMS? Seems like their rates are the most reasonable, surfed their site but they don't have any notification options, so that's why it's probably cheaper.

Do you know if they allow multiple people to be assigned to one "address" ? I know Pacific Parcel and Mail does not which is one of the reasons I'm not fully convinced to go with them yet since it's usually me and a few friends that will be using it.

I use SMS. They don't have any notification options but if you call them, they will check if your package is there. Personally, I just use the shipper's website to find out if it has been delivered rather than calling them.

As for multiple people, I don't know for sure. I know they allow other family members on the account but I'm not sure if they'll allow friends on the same account. I'll ask them next time I'm down there.

illicitstylz 10-10-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7138947)
I use SMS. They don't have any notification options but if you call them, they will check if your package is there. Personally, I just use the shipper's website to find out if it has been delivered rather than calling them.

Well it's different from using your shipper's tracking and it actually being PROCESSED and ready to be picked up at said location.

eg. delivered 8am but it needs to be processed so if you show up at 10am, it might not be ready yet due to volume or any other complications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7138947)
As for multiple people, I don't know for sure. I know they allow other family members on the account but I'm not sure if they'll allow friends on the same account. I'll ask them next time I'm down there.

Do let me know, that'd be great.

skholla 10-10-2010 08:58 AM

PMP is run by a nice family, service is great, been using the service for the last 18 mos, no problems what so ever. I've shipped tons of packages there, the email notification is really handy, especially when a package isn't trackable. I've left packages there for over a month, no problems or late fees.
Posted via RS Mobile

JBT 10-15-2010 12:24 AM

I used Hagen's many times for online purchases without any problems.

JunFan 12-06-2010 08:15 PM

hagens is charging $12 annual fee now

JunFan 12-06-2010 08:17 PM

and hagens just misplaced my package today too! >.<

ilvtofu 12-06-2010 08:20 PM

Now hagen's has some sort of web thing for tracking they gave me a number last month to add to my purchases

If they do start charging annual fee I will be switching for sure