REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Mixing aftermarket /w stock shocks

Hi guys,

I've got a question that might sound crazy, but I want to know if it's ok to have after-market shocks up front (e.g. Koni sport) and stock rear shocks.

The reason I ask is because I have A-spec suspension on my TSX. I like the height in the rear, but I want to lower the front of the car by another 3/4". I heard you can achieve this by using the Koni sport or SP3 shocks with adjustable spring perches. By placing the A-spec springs on the lowest perch, I heard you can get another 20mm lower (approx 3/4").

Or should I just save up for all 4 shocks and replace them? I'm thinking I'd be wasting 4 perfectly fine stock shocks if I did this.

Please let me know if any of you had experience with combining different shocks like what I'm proposing here. Thanks for any input guys!

Pally777
Advertisement
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

There may be handling issues. Since you lower your front and not your rears, your front spring rate will be a lot higher.

So to answer your question.
People don't recommend that you do this. Your car will handle like a LOL.
I'd save up and replace all four at the same time.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

It sounds like you are changing only the damper, but not the springs. If that’s right, spring rate won’t be changing.

The problem here is that you will have one tune up front, and another out back. The oem damper will control the spring a specific way. The rear will be a different tune, giving you a different feeling and rate of control. Depending on the setup, it may be vastly different. The front end may then feel controlled and tight, while the back end may feel like its rolling over in comparison. Then again, you may not notice it much. Its hard to say as I have zero erxpereince with the TSX suspension.

In general though I’d say it’s not a good idea. Shock manufactures (if they are any good) build a damper set with a specific tune that works on a car. By only installing half of it, you may get an odd feeling car as a result. I really don’t think the dampers you are talking about will make it night and day, but I am sure you will feel the difference while driving.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Thanks for the tips guys.

To be more clear, I'm planning to reuse my A-spec springs on the front Koni-sport or SP3 dampers while keeping my rear unchanged from my stock A-spec springs and dampers.

I'm not too familiar with valving, but I'm guessing it's to do with how fast/slow the motions are damped? If that is the case, won't the Konis, which have adjustable damping (both rebound and compression using one knob) allow me to adjust the damping to match my rears? Just throwing it out there, not that I really want to swap out the front dampers only.

I think I might have to just save up for the whole set or maybe a spring/shock combo.
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote