REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Sending wire transfer to US bank

Anybody here who works in a bank know exactly what information I need to do a wire transfer to bank in the US?

I'm trying to purchase a watchwinder from the US, and they only accept wire transfer from international customers.

I was provided with:

Name/address of bank
ABA code
SWIFT Code
Account #

When I went to RBC today, after spending about 10-15 minutes trying to set up the wire transfer (they were apparently looking up the bank by name in their system and couldn't find it), they told me that it could not be done without the Bank # and Transit #. Now, I've done a wire transfer with this company 2 years ago without the Bank # and Transit # (I checked the info they sent me 2 years ago). But the RBC teller insisted they could not complete the transfer without this info, saying that the banking system has changed in the last 2 years. It just seems strange to me that the company would send a standardized document they send to all their customers for wire transfers and leave out pertinent information required to complete the transfer. Any idea how I can look up the Bank and Transit # if it is necessary, or do I have to call up the bank myself?
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
seems like the teller you talked to is an incompetent slob.

try to talk to someone else.
also it'll help if you have that banks phone# and a cell phone. so when u got rbc, and things go wrong u can get rbc to call them and initiate the fund transfer ..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Additional info:

I have the Name/address, ABA, SWIFT Code, and account # for the intermediary institution.
I have the Name/address and account # and DOMESTIC ABA for the beneficiary bank/customer.

I'm assuming the company's bank does not accept wire transfers and must be through the intermediary institution. RBC kept looking up the company's bank name, and not the intermediary institution...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
seems like the teller you talked to is an incompetent slob.

try to talk to someone else.
also it'll help if you have that banks phone# and a cell phone. so when u got rbc, and things go wrong u can get rbc to call them and initiate the fund transfer ..
Thanks, I figured as much...actually it was two tellers who told me the same thing. The bank's phone number was on the paper with all the info, but not once did they offer to call. Instead they tried googling the bank/transit #....they told me to call myself for the information and come back with the correct info...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Thanks, I figured as much...actually it was two tellers who told me the same thing. The bank's phone number was on the paper with all the info, but not once did they offer to call. Instead they tried googling the bank/transit #....they told me to call myself for the information and come back with the correct info...
which branch did u attend? i can have this escalated.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

^Check your pm
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,038 Times in 4,523 Posts
What you have is sufficient for a wire transfer. I transfered a few thousand with the bank, transit and account number to a Wells Fargo Bank in Boulder, CO earlier this year when I bought my Vespa just fine.

Looks like you were dealing with incompetent goof balls.

Edit: I was wrong - I was given the routing, account number and SWIFT code which was sufficient to perform the wire transfer.

The ABA number is the routing number (which you have.) You also have the account and SWIFT number. I don't see what the problem is. Now that I checked my records from my transaction, you most definitely dealt with some dimwits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i used to send money to japan on the regular. i never use the regular banks for any forgin exchange transfers as their rates are always higher.

I have used a place called globex out of Edmonton Alberta. Im sure they have offices all over. as well as XE.com. I talked to a guy named tod in the edmonton globex. they charge only $15 and the rates are much lower then your bank will offer you.
AllenPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote