REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Getting rid of smell in hockey gear (https://www.revscene.net/forums/627786-getting-rid-smell-hockey-gear.html)

AzNightmare 10-17-2010 01:13 AM

Getting rid of smell in hockey gear

Edit on Dec 01, 2010.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7210645)
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between top loading and front loading washing machine in terms of "how it washes" ?

Because I bought the Sudz stuff, and I tried soaking it for an hour and rinsing in the bathtub but it didn't really work. It only helped a bit...

It says it's best to be used for front loader washing machines.
But I have one of those "Efficient Energy" top loader washing machines that
loads from the top, but it doesn't have that "fan" thing in the center. It's just
empty like a front loader and it spins. Would that work the same as a front loader?

Safe to put my gear in there? I was thinking of just testing with my elbow pads first...

I googled up some methods of getting rid of the smell in hockey gear,
and found a bunch of methods. But I'm not really convinced if they will
work in the long run, or if they are just temporary ways to mask out the smell
for a game or two.

I came across this site:
http://www.freshgear.com/ozone_fresh...view_gear.html

Using Ozone to clean the gear.
And the closest place with this service (according to the site) is the
Cyclone Taylor in Surrey.

Have anyone tried using this before?

Or any other cleaning services?
Feel free to share your experiences and what places you have cleaned your gear at, and how much it cost.

I only plan on getting it "professionally" done cause
I don't want to bother doing some in-house method that doesn't really
deep clean the bacteria out.

And is it even worth it to pay for cleaning service?

suprasian 10-17-2010 11:37 AM

i believe thay have a machine you can use at scoffs for like 20 bucks to wash gear. not 100% on the price

Jgresch 10-17-2010 11:47 AM

Why would you want to get rid of your man stench?

StrictlyD 10-17-2010 12:49 PM

For my goalie's hockey equipment, I heard steam washing is the best bet.

westcoastgsr 10-17-2010 01:28 PM

When the season ended I used to soak my gear with Simple Green overnight then spray it down and let it dry in the sun. I never wash my gloves because it takes away the power of the facewash.

Honestly the best way is to air your stuff out right away in a warm room so it can dry out. Ya I know thats the last thing you want to do after a game. The worst is when you leaving your bag in a cold garage...putting on cold wet equipment sucks ass!!!!

Berzerker 10-17-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastgsr (Post 7148812)

Honestly the best way is to air your stuff out right away in a warm room so it can dry out. Ya I know thats the last thing you want to do after a game.

If you have the space get one of those Gear Tree's that you hang your gear on after you get home. Works awesome for getting gear dry and keeping it fresh.

Berz out.

AzNightmare 10-17-2010 05:20 PM

Have the "tree", I air everything out after a game.

Smell still builds up eventually after 2 years... lol

SumAznGuy 10-18-2010 12:40 PM

After 2 years, I think it's time you bought new gear. Except for the gloves as westcoastgsr explained.

FN-2199 10-18-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrictlyD (Post 7148774)
For my goalie's hockey equipment, I heard steam washing is the best bet.

+1.

My grandparents have this funky steam cleaner, and it worked wonders for my unbelievably man-stenched goalie gear.

Spidey 10-18-2010 12:45 PM

2 years is a good timeline.. mine starts to smell after about 6 months even with regligious airing out... i throw everything in my front load washer. the thigns that will fit that is.. honestly your pants should not stink.. unless you really just leave it cooking with yoru other stank shit. the only things that may need washing even with airing out are yoru gloves, elbows shins and shoulder pads.. my biggest issue are the gloves. but my shins have detachable liners i throw in the wash.. elbows fit in the wash, and shoulder pads fit as well..

pants i never wash cuz i dont need to...

gloves i endup soaking it in a bucket of warm water with some kind of disinfectant... or antibacterial dish soap.. then i agigate it by wearing it in the bucket and wiggling my fingers around a bit.. let it soak some more... then i will throw the gloves in the washing machine to finish em off... usually does the trick. i generally go through gloves every 2 years or so, so i wash them maybe 3-4times in their lifetime and then ditch em.. never had a problem with them getting wrecked by the machine or soaps etc..

i would imagine steam cleaners would do a good job.. as long as the bacteria is killed, the smell should be gone....

simple green?? you might as well use lysol.. simple green may eat at your fabric

AzNightmare 10-19-2010 12:49 AM

Well. the thing is, the equipment itself is in good condition still. Buying new stuff seems like a waste. And I never played on a team either, so I actually haven't been using my equipment a lot within that 2 year time frame. I just go to drop ins here and there.

It's actually my gloves that don't smell at all. lol

Spidey 10-19-2010 06:14 AM

if your gloves don't smell you are gold.. those are the hardest to clean and keep clean... as for your other stuff, i think a good steam cleaning will do the trick, or do what i said with putting it in the wash.. as long as you are not cramming it into your wash you are not going to ruin anything.. also if you want to pay other people, 8 rinks offers equipment cleaning. i cant imagine it being that expensive..

my buddy did the ozone thing a while ago and i think they just shove the whole bag in there... he said the smell came back in his gloves pretty fast (which means it didnt kill the bacteria off well enough) but i didnt ask about the other gear.

RayBot 10-19-2010 08:22 AM

I bought myself a container of Hockey Sudz from Cyclone. 10 bucks a container.

Just dump the gear in the bathtub, let it soak for a good hour, then re-soak in cold water.

However, this is because i don't have a front load washer, which its made for.

Spidey 10-19-2010 09:42 AM

sweet...isnt the thing just a version of powder detergent/oxi clean? i use oxi clean sometimes for real rancid shit.. i take it, it's good for neutralizing odors

i also use gain :)

AzNightmare 10-20-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 7151342)
I bought myself a container of Hockey Sudz from Cyclone. 10 bucks a container.

Just dump the gear in the bathtub, let it soak for a good hour, then re-soak in cold water.

However, this is because i don't have a front load washer, which its made for.

I don't have a front load washer either.
Maybe I'll give this a try since I'm gonna go to Cyclone Taylor's soon.
So dump my gear with the sudz in a tub full of cold water, then an hour later, soak it in
clean cold water again for an hour?

Any scrubbing required?

Spidey 10-20-2010 09:59 AM

iimagine it would benefit from some agitation...

SumAznGuy 10-20-2010 10:01 AM

You need high heat to kill the bateria that is causing the smell.

Set your gear on fire and buy new gear. =P

RayBot 10-21-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7152854)
I don't have a front load washer either.
Maybe I'll give this a try since I'm gonna go to Cyclone Taylor's soon.
So dump my gear with the sudz in a tub full of cold water, then an hour later, soak it in
clean cold water again for an hour?

Any scrubbing required?

nah... no scrubbing required.

TheSalesman 10-21-2010 08:11 AM

doesn't 8 rinks have some sort of cleaning service? I see their ads all over the place.
Does anyone know how much it costs?
My friend got his goalie stuff done there awhile back and said everything came out looking brand new. All the yellow-brown stuff came off his gear.

after a quick search,
http://www.geardrop.ca/equipment-cleaning

Spidey 10-21-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 7154247)
doesn't 8 rinks have some sort of cleaning service? I see their ads all over the place.
Does anyone know how much it costs?
My friend got his goalie stuff done there awhile back and said everything came out looking brand new. All the yellow-brown stuff came off his gear.

after a quick search,
http://www.geardrop.ca/equipment-cleaning

im willing to tryout that place for gloves.. everything else, i can wash at home... gloves are a pain because i actually have to soak and agigate/takes forever to dry... i wonder if this place leaves gloves palms feeling crunhy and dry.. hate that feeling

TheSalesman 10-21-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7154255)
i wonder if this place leaves gloves palms feeling crunhy and dry.. hate that feeling

From what my friend told me, everything came out looking new and in good shape. No complaints and something like dry crunchy palms would definately suck. But a few games and some sweat will change that! :thumbsup:

punkwax 10-21-2010 09:58 AM

8 rinks is good, I've used there service.

Leopold Stotch 10-21-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7154255)
im willing to tryout that place for gloves.. everything else, i can wash at home... gloves are a pain because i actually have to soak and agigate/takes forever to dry... i wonder if this place leaves gloves palms feeling crunhy and dry.. hate that feeling

i hear after you wash them, you're supposed to put vaseline on the palms while before you leave it to dry.

cunninglinguist 10-22-2010 07:13 PM

I do what Raybot does and dump everything in the tub but I just soak with hot water and little bit of Tide.

Agitate it a bit and rinse well then hang dry

AzNightmare 10-23-2010 02:55 AM

maybe dumb question... but what does it mean to "Agitate" in this context?