REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The thing about buying slightly used starter bikes (250cc ninjas, 500cc gs500s, etc), is that you can easily sell the bike for what you paid, if not more (if you spot a good deal).
Advertisement
//RacingSpirit>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Anything else like a 250r?
BoostedSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I think it's the only bike in its class that is readily available.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
B&S Sexy mod

If you're not hung up on sportbike style supermoto's are a great way to go, they're WAY more fun IMO (plus you can do sweet jumps! [/napoleon dynamite]), plus the suspension is far more forgiving (you get more warning before any traction loss happens) and they can still fall in the cheaper insurance bracket (ie) drz400sm. Once you modify the DRZ they wake up pretty quick (theres a HUGE difference between a stock drz and one with cams/exhaust/airbox mod/rejet)
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #30
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

the the gsx-r600/750 are pretty good beginner bikes imo. i noticed they're not as bulky as the newest gen r6's. i got a gixxer as my first bike and have had no problems whatsoever, and i'm about 5' 8". but it's not really about how much power the bike has to offer, you just need to be responsible and not immediately be an idiot on the bike.
unkicrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkicrackie View Post
the the gsx-r600/750 are pretty good beginner bikes imo. i noticed they're not as bulky as the newest gen r6's. i got a gixxer as my first bike and have had no problems whatsoever, and i'm about 5' 8". but it's not really about how much power the bike has to offer, you just need to be responsible and not immediately be an idiot on the bike.
I want to say that this is bad advice, but a gixxer 600 is my first bike too xD
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
B&S Sexy mod

In an emergency situation (or when you start getting close to your limit) its not necessarily as simple as "not being an idiot", on the bigger supersports like that the brakes are snappier, compression braking is more pronounced along with the touchier throttle.
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
In an emergency situation (or when you start getting close to your limit) its not necessarily as simple as "not being an idiot", on the bigger supersports like that the brakes are snappier, compression braking is more pronounced along with the touchier throttle.
Yep, one of the first things after you get your bike is to learn the threshold of your bike doing "stoppies".. Like increase pressure on break while going slow (cuz breaking force is not affected by your speed) and judge up to what pressure you feel is safe, and develop that muscle memory onto that sweet spot where the threshold lies.

Btw, I think the new cbr600's come with ABS options, or was it just the 1000's?

should be a great feature for any rider, imo..
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Yep, one of the first things after you get your bike is to learn the threshold of your bike doing "stoppies".. Like increase pressure on break while going slow (cuz breaking force is not affected by your speed) and judge up to what pressure you feel is safe, and develop that muscle memory onto that sweet spot where the threshold lies.

Btw, I think the new cbr600's come with ABS options, or was it just the 1000's?

should be a great feature for any rider, imo..
the 2011 gixxer's come with 4-piston brembo's, lots of potential for stoppies
unkicrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Anyone that starts on a 600cc four cylinder supersport fits one of the following categories: a statistic fatality, still learning, in constant mortal danger, OR absolutely extraordinary and fitted with really big ones.

...but hey don't take my word on it, I've only been riding for 45 years.
Cota4RT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #36
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I started on a 600rr in august/sept.. after ignoring everyone saying not to start on a 600cc sport bike like the usual dumbass.. I realized why people say this. It's really not a good place to start. They're (really fucking) fast, not comfertable and hard to control on good days never mind in shitty situations. I wish I would have got a supermoto.

That being said I wouldn't give it up my 600rr now...
Canadian Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Rider View Post
I started on a 600rr in august/sept.. after ignoring everyone saying not to start on a 600cc sport bike like the usual dumbass.. I realized why people say this. It's really not a good place to start. They're (really fucking) fast, not comfertable and hard to control on good days never mind in shitty situations. I wish I would have got a supermoto.

SmokeyTheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #38

Quote:

Doesn't that give you more incentive to get out there and master it? At a steady pace of course

Give the twist of the wrist 2 video a try it really set my fundamentals up for cornering this past season and for future track days!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #39
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i started on a 750 a few years back and im lucky enough to say that i was just fine. but in retrospect, there were definitely a few times where i had gotten myself into some hairy situations where my abilities as a rider could not keep up with the abilities of the bike. if i had a choice to start over, i would swallow my pride and get the 250.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Doesn't that give you more incentive to get out there and master it? At a steady pace of course

Give the twist of the wrist 2 video a try it really set my fundamentals up for cornering this past season and for future track days!
Oh don't get me wrong, like I said I wouldn't trade it for anything now. Love the bike. Puts a HUGE smile on my face everytime I ride. And I'm already all over twist of the wrist. Stoked for track days next year. Just need some frame sliders...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #41
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong, like I said I wouldn't trade it for anything now. Love the bike. Puts a HUGE smile on my face everytime I ride. And I'm already all over twist of the wrist. Stoked for track days next year. Just need some frame sliders...
not doing any this year cdn rider???

SmokeyTheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #42

You kelowna jerks with your great windy back roads!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #43

Come up for a ride
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #44

Will do when I get my license back in oct
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #45
RS Veteran

Uhh...what happened?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Uhh...what happened?
I don't want to say what it is, but I'll say what it isn't!

wasn't speeding or DUI :P
Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #47
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Take a riding course ! I went to PRS they are good !! and as far as for the type of bike start off with a 500cc will treat you well. A 250cc is just too damn slow and you'll get bored out of it in no time !!! a 600 would be too damn much power for a rookie.. I have seen many bails cause riders always under estimate their bikes specially on turns..

First thing you should do is get proper gear !! don't ever cheap out for you'll pay for it dearly in the end!! and don't invest in a brand new bike.. buy a cheap basic starter one, just until you can get used to the weight and power of it before you move on up!

My toys:
97 DSM AWD turbo
93 honda del sol SI
02 Suzuki GSXR 600 *stunt/track bike*
05 Buell lightning XB12Scg
QuietStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #48
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

+1 for PRS, Hands down best training you can get this side of the border. Depending on your previous experience with bikes if any, I would suggest a smaller bike to start. I've been riding dirt my whole life and made the transition to street bikes a few years back. I ended up buying a cbr600rr (2007) right after I got my liscense. Some say it was a rash/bad decision,but im more than comfortable on just about any bike I sit on. The new CBR design is quite a bit smaller and thinner then the previous model,which means its lighter and easier to manuever. If your dead set on a 600, take a look at the new cbrs. With any bike you choose,be safe and take every peice of advice thats been given to you. Even if you think some of this advice doesnt apply to you, at some point your bike will put you in a situation where it will. Happy riding!
d00zie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #49
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
want to get into riding and get my license this year.. do u guys all have ur gear already prior to taking a riding course? thinking about going to PRS as well...
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #50
RS Veteran

PRS will provide you with all the gear you need for the lessons with the exception of boots.

This post thanked by: