REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Where to buy goalie gear online?

Where's the best place to buy equipment online?
I'm looking for a goalie chest/arm protector (new, not used), and the prices are a lot cheaper
online compared to the local hockey stores.

But I hear stories from people that sometimes when you order online,
you get charged duty fees after.

I'm just wondering, based on your experiences, which places are good
to order online from, possibly places located in areas were I won't get charged duty fees after?

Please list some web sites.... and your shopping experience from them.
but don't list sites that you personally haven't shopped from, otherwise I could have done that myself.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
buy used on craigslist IMO.

also goalie store is good.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
I personally have only shopped locally for my goalie gear, but in regards to shipping, if it's from the US, just get it shipped to Point roberts to save you a bunch of money. You may or may not have to pay duties, but it's always worth a trip down there to get some gas
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
most sporting goods are made in canada (brians and some rbk i know is)
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

What's your price range?

Brown makes the best C/A's but if you can't afford it I'd go for a McKenney (aka poor man's Brown.) They carry both at The Hockey Shop. I'd much rather buy McKenney locally (and be able to try it on) instead of a shitty off-shore product over the internet.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

goaliemonkey.com.

i bought all my latest gear there. bought a chest for $350+ and customs didnt to tax me so they let me go.

bought pads/blocker/trapper for $1800+ and customs taxed me, but it was just HST. still cheaper than buying the set locally by $500.

the HST will be the only thing you pay when crossing if the customs officer sends you in. buying locally, you still pay HST so no difference there.

set up an account here http://www.tsbshipping.com/ and when your stuff comes, they email you to come pick it up. cost like $3-$5 and only 30min-45min drive.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
goaliemonkey.com.

i bought all my latest gear there. bought a chest for $350+ and customs didnt to tax me so they let me go.

bought pads/blocker/trapper for $1800+ and customs taxed me, but it was just HST. still cheaper than buying the set locally by $500.

the HST will be the only thing you pay when crossing if the customs officer sends you in. buying locally, you still pay HST so no difference there.
That's only if your gear is made in North America. If it's made off shore then you may have to pay Duties as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #8

I've bought on 5 different occassions from goaliemonkey and never once when I crossed did customs ask me where my stuff was made. When u buy online, all u know is that you bought it from an American online store. Who goes shopping on a US site and asks the retailers where the stuff is made?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #9

They asked me when I imported my pro stock Tacklas. Whoever was working sure knew I had a nice pair of pants. I bought a brand new pair of Tackla 5000 Pro off a forum for $110US shipped.

I got pulled in and they asked me where the pants were made in. I kept saying "Canada" and they didn't believe me. Maybe perhaps American Retail Tacklas are Made in Thailand? Anyways, after I pointed out the "MADE IN CANADA" phrase on the label and just paid the 12% tax, no duty.

I thought I could go after that then they started to play games. They claimed I undervalued how much the pants cost. The customs officer said she looked them up online and said the pants were worth $300 (they are worth $200 at most), despite me having my Paypal receipts. She kept going on and on about me not having a store receipt after I repeatedly told her I bought it from an individual, not a store therefore I would not have a store receipt.

To drag this on longer, she said she would need to see my Private Messages with this seller. Obviously I didn't print this out but I gladly offered to show her if only she gave me internet access. She denied my request and said she can't give me internet access. What a joke. Once they were done playing games I finally went on my way. That was the only time I've ever been hassled at Pt. Roberts. I'm not blacklisted or anything and I was fully co-operating the entire time I was in the office.

Canadian customs, what a joke.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #10

^ damn that sucks. knock on wood that they never have to ask me where my stuff is made from.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
They asked me when I imported my pro stock Tacklas. Whoever was working sure knew I had a nice pair of pants. I bought a brand new pair of Tackla 5000 Pro off a forum for $110US shipped.

I got pulled in and they asked me where the pants were made in. I kept saying "Canada" and they didn't believe me. Maybe perhaps American Retail Tacklas are Made in Thailand? Anyways, after I pointed out the "MADE IN CANADA" phrase on the label and just paid the 12% tax, no duty.

I thought I could go after that then they started to play games. They claimed I undervalued how much the pants cost. The customs officer said she looked them up online and said the pants were worth $300 (they are worth $200 at most), despite me having my Paypal receipts. She kept going on and on about me not having a store receipt after I repeatedly told her I bought it from an individual, not a store therefore I would not have a store receipt.

To drag this on longer, she said she would need to see my Private Messages with this seller. Obviously I didn't print this out but I gladly offered to show her if only she gave me internet access. She denied my request and said she can't give me internet access. What a joke. Once they were done playing games I finally went on my way. That was the only time I've ever been hassled at Pt. Roberts. I'm not blacklisted or anything and I was fully co-operating the entire time I was in the office.

Canadian customs, what a joke.
dude that's a shitty experience.

my only experience with customs, this wasn't hockey related, was when i bought some car stuff.

the lady asked me for my receipt and stupidly i didn't print one out so i just took out my phone and looked up my paypal invoice and she let me on my way, only charged HST on $1350 worth of stuff. odd.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote