REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Are your late model imports safe when parked in public places?

Hey RS,

Up for discussion,

Recently I purchased a 2000 Honda civic SiR, this type of vehicles has sat atop the list of "most stolen vehicles in Canada" since it's introduction in 1999.

Years ago it was no secret that vehicle theft in Vancouver was a serious problem, especially in regards to sport compact cars (there is of course other targeted vehicles, but for the sake of this thread and this community, I would like to focus on sport compacts).

Lately it seems, to me, that vehicle theft has really slowed down in regards to older sport compact cars... I dont have the same fears I used to have when it comes to my car's being parked at mall's or being parked outside at night. I rarely see stolen threads pop up on the forums, friends of mine havent been victimized almost at all, i can remember years ago when many people I knew were victim to auto theft.

So I wonder, if this is in fact true that vehicle theft targetting late model sport compact cars has decreased, and what is the cause?

Is it partially due to an effective bait car program and good policing?
Is it due to owners practicing more dudiligence with parking cars indoors, having alarms, avoiding questionable locations to park?
Is it due to the price of the parts for these sport compact cars deteriorating over the last few years as they age?
Is it due to forums and large car communitys making it far more difficult to buy/sell stolen parts?

Lastly, how you feel about parking in public places, especially if you own a modified honda/acura, etc something that would have been a hot target to theft just a few years ago.

For me, I feel that the AGE of the vehicles many of us hold dear, our EG/EK/DC/EF etc chassis cars are possibly the main cause of theft decreasing (if indeed it is) as the value of the parts also decreases with time. Also, with newer cars sporting chipped keys theft is obviously much more difficult which is a major deterent in itself.

Also feel free to discuss the types of theft, whether you have experienced theft for profit or convenience IE: If you car was stolen and recovered from a joyride, or recovered missing all the parts (profit). Or even something as simple as Ipod or sunglasses being stolen.

So the big questions... Is it safe to park at metrotown? lol

Please discuss...
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

You are too paranoid. Buy a corolla. No one would steal those.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

If you're really that worried you should invest in a good alarm, use a club and install a fuel pump cutoff switch.
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
if you drive a car without immobilizer..if they want your car bad enough = it's gone. Just get GPS tracking so you can sleep better at night.

does anyone have stats on the effectiveness of bait car program? Is it still ongoing? I don't hear them promoting it anymore.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
There's an RS sponsor that's selling some device you put on your car, and if stolen it will show you exactly where it is or disable the car, something like that.....

So get one of those... track down a scum criminal with no soul and beat him down.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Banned (BBM)

drone mobile solves it all plus compustar 2 way
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
OP you are too paranoid. but i hear ya.

i hate it everytime i had to go to metrotown, i have to circle so many times before i find a spot i feel safe (close to the entrance)

touch wood havn't been victimize yet but my aunt had both of her cars stolen RIGHT IN FRONT of the security booth in metrotown!!!!

I'm also wondering about the real life effectiveness of something like drone or compustar.

say my car has factory immobilizer, it is unlikely that a theft will ran away with the car however crack fiends can still smash and grab whatever is in my car. Say your in a big mall like metrotown watching a movie or something, what are the chance that you will stop a theft in process even if ran as fast as you can to your car??

in that case is it good enough to just deck out the stock alarm system with all the possible sensor?

how does insurance work if one's ICE setup or aftermarket wheels were stolen?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #8

Just as a side note, we know there is deterents like the club, 2 way alarms, and even gps tracking, but you have to remember that those are deterents... they do not make your car impossible to steal.

Club can be cut off, alarms can be by passed, gps can be removed.

The major discussion here is the trend of theft, and chance of attempted theft more so than the debate of whether or not that attempt is a success.

I might be a bit paranoid... but can you blame me? lol
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
OP you are too paranoid. but i hear ya.

i hate it everytime i had to go to metrotown, i have to circle so many times before i find a spot i feel safe (close to the entrance)

touch wood havn't been victimize yet but my aunt had both of her cars stolen RIGHT IN FRONT of the security booth in metrotown!!!!

I'm also wondering about the real life effectiveness of something like drone or compustar.

say my car has factory immobilizer, it is unlikely that a theft will ran away with the car however crack fiends can still smash and grab whatever is in my car. Say your in a big mall like metrotown watching a movie or something, what are the chance that you will stop a theft in process even if ran as fast as you can to your car??

in that case is it good enough to just deck out the stock alarm system with all the possible sensor?

how does insurance work if one's ICE setup or aftermarket wheels were stolen?
$5g exterior $1g interior aka sound system etc
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

well just don't soup up your car to attract the wrong attention or piss someone off
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
$5g exterior $1g interior aka sound system etc
What about items without receipts but have pics of them bolted onto the car?
S1 S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Resident Bullshitter

a 2000 SiR is hardly a late model.... its 10 fucking years old
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1 S2 View Post
What about items without receipts but have pics of them bolted onto the car?
95% icbc wont accept it....

really need receit for them to actually approve
Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
a 2000 SiR is hardly a late model.... its 10 fucking years old
Lol kinda have to agree with hyde with this one, your model is 2 generations old and the next one is soon to arrive.

I don't know I feel like my car is relatively safe it's pretty late model, then again my car probably had more standard security features

Metro does have security but it's pretty massive, still makes it a little better though
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Lol kinda have to agree with hyde with this one, your model is 2 generations old and the next one is soon to arrive.
My definition of late model is obviously not accurate lol.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #16

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
95% icbc wont accept it....

really need receit for them to actually approve

they accept paypal receipt???? lots of car guys buy second hand off of forums?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Banned (BBM)

^ that i never tried

probably
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Well, I knew what I was getting into since I purchased my car.
But with that in mind, I had already looked for what I can do to prevent theft.
A 2-way, imm, removable steeringwheel + hub lock, wheel clamp etc etc.
Now I don't worry about my car getting stolen, but rather vandals. (cause we've seen the "Revscene Fail" on that Civic)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Just as a side note, we know there is deterents like the club, 2 way alarms, and even gps tracking, but you have to remember that those are deterents... they do not make your car impossible to steal.

Club can be cut off, alarms can be by passed, gps can be removed.
i think tracking systems having pretty good retrival rates. Just hide it strategically and make sure it has ways to circumvent jamming.

but yeah to return to your original topic, i do think it's just that it's not ideal for thieves to steal and strip for parts and try to sell them online...cause the car communities are on the look out.
i can't find the latest icbc one (only 2008), but here are the top 10 stolen cars in US.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...mentid=1085873
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #20
10psi aint enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Hey RS,

Up for discussion,

Recently I purchased a 2000 Honda civic SiR, this type of vehicles has sat atop the list of "most stolen vehicles in Canada" since it's introduction in 1999.

Years ago it was no secret that vehicle theft in Vancouver was a serious problem, especially in regards to sport compact cars (there is of course other targeted vehicles, but for the sake of this thread and this community, I would like to focus on sport compacts).

Lately it seems, to me, that vehicle theft has really slowed down in regards to older sport compact cars... I dont have the same fears I used to have when it comes to my car's being parked at mall's or being parked outside at night. I rarely see stolen threads pop up on the forums, friends of mine havent been victimized almost at all, i can remember years ago when many people I knew were victim to auto theft.

So I wonder, if this is in fact true that vehicle theft targetting late model sport compact cars has decreased, and what is the cause?

Is it partially due to an effective bait car program and good policing?
Is it due to owners practicing more dudiligence with parking cars indoors, having alarms, avoiding questionable locations to park?
Is it due to the price of the parts for these sport compact cars deteriorating over the last few years as they age?
Is it due to forums and large car communitys making it far more difficult to buy/sell stolen parts?

Lastly, how you feel about parking in public places, especially if you own a modified honda/acura, etc something that would have been a hot target to theft just a few years ago.

For me, I feel that the AGE of the vehicles many of us hold dear, our EG/EK/DC/EF etc chassis cars are possibly the main cause of theft decreasing (if indeed it is) as the value of the parts also decreases with time. Also, with newer cars sporting chipped keys theft is obviously much more difficult which is a major deterent in itself.

Also feel free to discuss the types of theft, whether you have experienced theft for profit or convenience IE: If you car was stolen and recovered from a joyride, or recovered missing all the parts (profit). Or even something as simple as Ipod or sunglasses being stolen.

So the big questions... Is it safe to park at metrotown? lol

Please discuss...
First, congrats on the newly bought car.

One reason why 99-00 Civic SiR was a " popular most stolen vehicle" is mostly because back in 1999 when the SiR was introduced it had specific parts that were OEM straight from the factory. The front lip, mid-high spoiler, SiR rims, the headrest (I think it was different from Si, not sure.), gauge clusters, B16A2 DOHCVTEC motor was a big factor, and other goodies as well.

Remembering when a stock 1999 SiR came out, it was easy to spot from the exterior compare to a stock 1999 Si. The grey stickers on the side, color painted side skirt flare vs. unpainted black, and the red/clear taillights.
(I remember SiR had color painted side mirrors...but Si was unpainted black?? Not sure, maybe Civic gurus can chime in. )
And dont forget, 1999 came out with the unique Electron Blue...and further into the Red and Black.

Continuing into 2000, I think Silver was the new color that replaced Electron Blue...still continuing with Red and Black.
Then Honda released 2000 Civic DX and Si Coupe with Electron Blue.

But remembering when AJ crews had 2-3 SiRs in 1999/2000, it was so much fun seeing what Honda had provided under the hood and looks.
Even my mechanic (not AJ), had a 1999 black SiR got his car stolen (and recovered back 3 times)...got his OEM parts stolen from front lip, RIMS!!!, seats, spoiler, etc... All this happened was in 2001.
But most concern was always the motor...ppl always wanted to steal it.

Anyways, sorry for ranting. But it was during 1999 when I started working on my car, no its not a civic lol, and you would hear ppl saying that SiRs were high targets. Most of the details are what I remembered, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone can correct me LOL...

I'm sure with any vehicle, modified or not, there will always be theft. Just park in lit public places, invest in a good alarm, snap off wheel/hub, gps tracking, insurance, and dont draw too much attention...it should be fine.
Again, be safe and good luck.

Thanks!! Just my 2 cents.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith

One of the best theft deterent devices I ever purchased was for a measly $10,It works so well,the theives have yet to figure it out.Almost all my friends cars are equipped with one too.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #22

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Is your fuel pump relay easily accessible? Best theft prevention right there.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

My 1992 Passat station wagen was stolen from my house 2 weeks ago, in an area that hasn't had crime in like 8 years.

If somebody wants your car, they'll take it. One way or another. Clubs, fuel cut-offs, etc. only slow them down.
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

^ ouch. the thief probly thought, no one will suspect this is a stolen car!
whynot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The price of a b16 has fallen along with the demand. Just dont draw attention to your car and park it in a garage. Like others have said; If someone wants your car they'll take it. All you can do is avoid giving anyone a reason to take it.
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote