REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #201
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
^dude cypress is the shit, disregarding other's gear, acquire joy. I learned how to ski there just by hitting the slope on my first day. Went skiing there for my second time of my life on Sunday and managed to go faster and do more crazy stuff than friend on a snowboard. Love skiing.

edit* mind you I used to snowboard but stopped 2 years ago and picked up skiing 2 weeks ago.
I'm not knocking cypress. It's just a really busy place to learn on. Mind you ALL the hills are busy on weekends.

and DUDE, i was sponsored by cypress for a number of years. why would i knock it?

oh, and, it's pretty easy to transfer skills from snowboarding to skiing, and vice versa. Glad you found what works best for you
Advertisement

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #202
HELP ME PLS!!!

grouse = good to learn on / the cut
cypress - better longer trails
seymour - also good to learn on, not good for trails, but great for parks
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #203
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Seymour is probably the worst to learn on. The rope tow is extremely difficult to use if you dknt how to go straight.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the yakima big powderhound ski rack. But its so loud... Does anybody know where to get a fairing that fits factory bars? The thule and yakima dont do factory bars....
Posted via RS Mobile
k2_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #204
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Whats the make of your car?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #205
MoD

97 mercury villiager gs
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #206
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Inno Fairings should work in your case.

Last edited by TOS'd; 01-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2_alpha View Post
Seymour is probably the worst to learn on. The rope tow is extremely difficult to use if you dknt how to go straight.

Posted via RS Mobile
if you don't know how to go straight to use a rope tow with a foot out, how would you learn how to get off a chair? since you have to use the same skills.

if you're anything like me, I hate it when the chair slows or stops.

and No I'm not pointing any figures, but for those that don't know how to get off the chair, a lifty does have to stop or slow it so that they can move quickly out of the way.

So if you don't know how to skate, or move yourself with one foot out of the board, how are you going to get on and off the chair?

I can imagine the look of disgust on some of your faces as you're reading it, but it's quotes for truth.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #208
MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
if you don't know how to go straight to use a rope tow with a foot out, how would you learn how to get off a chair? since you have to use the same skills.

if you're anything like me, I hate it when the chair slows or stops.

and No I'm not pointing any figures, but for those that don't know how to get off the chair, a lifty does have to stop or slow it so that they can move quickly out of the way.

So if you don't know how to skate, or move yourself with one foot out of the board, how are you going to get on and off the chair?

I can imagine the look of disgust on some of your faces as you're reading it, but it's quotes for truth.
Totally agree with you about the ski lift slowing down.
However, the chair lift is better. at least if you fall, you are already up at the top. if you fall halfway up the rope toe, youre pretty much stuck.
also, if you are at the bunny hill, you should expect the chair lift to be slow and will stop quite often.

Last edited by k2_alpha; 01-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #209
VLS Head Mod

Burton demo day today tried out the lipstick, then when I went back to my board I realized 2 inches can make a lot of difference
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #210

Ah FUCK today had the shittiest snow @ grouse... had to carve thru so much ice on my friend's board, feel bad for making his edges dull

Was about to pop a 360 off a jump on the side but my board caught edge on ice right before I initiated my turn and ended up falling with the back of my head first on straight ice going hella fast...
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Ah FUCK today had the shittiest snow @ grouse... had to carve thru so much ice on my friend's board, feel bad for making his edges dull

Was about to pop a 360 off a jump on the side but my board caught edge on ice right before I initiated my turn and ended up falling with the back of my head first on straight ice going hella fast...
were you wearing a helmet or no?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #212

Naw, I only wear helmets when I do exclusive park days but that was years ago when I used to be good =(

Gonna go to hospital soon I have reason to suspect my wrist is fractured, along with a minor concussion.

what's shitty is it's my first day at work tomorrow lol
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #213
x_x

^ I hope you learned your lesson. You're lucky you didnt split your head open. The back of the head is the most vulnerable and delicate part.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
^ I hope you learned your lesson. You're lucky you didnt split your head open. The back of the head is the most vulnerable and delicate part.
Yea when I go up to just do terrain park I wear a helmet but it was a spur of the moment thing
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Yea when I go up to just do terrain park I wear a helmet but it was a spur of the moment thing
but an entire mountain is a terrain park!

mind you i shouldn't talk.

I only wear a helmet when its mandatory in a park as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #216
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
I got a decent knock on the back of my head as well on Sunday. Been meaning to pick up a helmet but kept putting it off, but after the latest incident I am gonna pick one up before I go next time!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I got a decent knock on the back of my head as well on Sunday. Been meaning to pick up a helmet but kept putting it off, but after the latest incident I am gonna pick one up before I go next time!
Get one that fits. Some helmets I've bought in the past give me a headache after about 30 mins of riding because of pressure in random places and no pressure in other random places so really take your time in picking the right one just like when you picked out your boot!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #218
MoD

^+1 about trying different helmets to find one that fits.
try out MEC as they have Costco like warranties.
find one that fits and buy it. then try it on the mountain.
if you dont like it, you can return it no question asked.

I got my K2 clutch pro for cheap. Suppose to be 85 but if you find some scratches they give you 25% off.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #219
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Nevermind, Costco doesn't carry the Bolle helmets anymore...

Will check out MEC.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 01-10-2011 at 08:56 PM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #220
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Im going to Whistler this weekend to snowboard for the first time, and I know there are places where you can rent snowboards and the boots, but I was wondering if they also provide either helmets or goggles and if not where can i rent them in Whistler?
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
Im going to Whistler this weekend to snowboard for the first time, and I know there are places where you can rent snowboards and the boots, but I was wondering if they also provide either helmets or goggles and if not where can i rent them in Whistler?
at every base of whistler, they rent out all the gear. From the entry level learning gear all the way to the higher end stuff.

They most likely will offer rentals of helmets as well.

However if I were you, i'd bug anyone yo know that has skiied or snowboarded before to see if you can borrow goggles and any other accessories that aren't being used.

Goggles, and gloves are normally the things that aren't offered for rental....however you could rent clothing if you don't have any. [however i wouldn't bank on it]

Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #222
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post

I only wear a helmet when its mandatory in a park as well.
you should always wear a helmet as you never know when you're going to catch an edge wrong and go down. I ALWAYS wear a helmet after getting my concussion...

at the beginning of this season my friends were riding with this girl who ended up hitting her head in the wrong spot and started convulsing/seizuring and I guess was really close to dying. She wasn't even doing any tricks in the park, just riding regular runs...

Sure I may look like an idiot wearing one but at least I know I'm not going to wind up as a vegetable, or even dead just to look cool
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #223
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
you should always wear a helmet as you never know when you're going to catch an edge wrong and go down. I ALWAYS wear a helmet after getting my concussion...
I'm surprised they haven't made it mandatory for people to wear them. If you hit the slopes only a handful wear helmets and thats usually the people with families. Other than that, no one really does.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #224
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
I'm surprised they haven't made it mandatory for people to wear them. If you hit the slopes only a handful wear helmets and thats usually the people with families. Other than that, no one really does.
they really should make it mandatory, look at the actress who died after hitting her head while skiing a few years back. I used to be of the mind set then unless you were hitting the park or doing tricks you didn't need a helmet but after my bail I made sure to get one. Some of my friends are of that mindset too but for the ones with the girl that almost died it made them think a little harder
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post

at the beginning of this season my friends were riding with this girl who ended up hitting her head in the wrong spot and started convulsing/seizuring and I guess was really close to dying. She wasn't even doing any tricks in the park, just riding regular runs...

Sure I may look like an idiot wearing one but at least I know I'm not going to wind up as a vegetable, or even dead just to look cool
oddly enough, i have 3 helmets sitting in my gear bag.

I kept picking them up after my favorite helmet got stolen out of my car a few years back.

I used to wear them religiously when Protec made the silver chrome helmets in 97-98....used to wear one everyday, and everywhere.

Then i finally got a new one, and oddly enough, after it got stolen from my car, i refused to wear it.....got a couple given to me, and went and bought another helmet last summer, but only wear it when i need to for park sessions.

i blame no one for that, but myself.