REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   How are Raybestos Rotors and Pads? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/629157-how-raybestos-rotors-pads.html)

shenmecar 11-02-2010 10:59 AM

How are Raybestos Rotors and Pads?

How do they perform in comparison to OEM? Im talking about the "Professional Grade" ones not the "Advance Technology" ones. Anyone using them for their cars?

Alphamale 11-02-2010 11:59 AM

Pads are gay.

Rotors are okay.

Go OEM for the best.

PK-EK 11-02-2010 12:27 PM

i can get almost any raybestos rotor for under 50/each
that give you an idea?

J____ 11-02-2010 04:21 PM

go hawk pads. oem rotors

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-02-2010 07:06 PM

lordco sells them.....

its........ average, nothing special

keifun 11-02-2010 09:01 PM

Hawk HPS pads...perfect for just street driving.

skylinergtr 11-02-2010 10:39 PM

pad's are okay, but rotors are crap.

I used to use them on my dad's ford explorer and we kept getting warped rotors because its a heavy car. The braking performance was shitty, and i always thought it was just because ford's usually have crappy brakes and its a truck. When it was due for brakes again i decided not to cheap out (althought the raybestos QS pads i got last time were the most expensive brakes) i got PBR rotors (good quality ones, not the chinese made ones) and akebono ceramic pads. So far no warpage and it actually stops great now. personally, if its available i suggest to spend the extra money on akebono pads and quality rotors. I run akebono on all my cars, and they last long, show very minimal dust, and the performance is great.

Alphamale 11-02-2010 10:50 PM

death_blossom 11-03-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinergtr (Post 7170602)
pad's are okay, but rotors are crap.

I used to use them on my dad's ford explorer and we kept getting warped rotors because its a heavy car. The braking performance was shitty, and i always thought it was just because ford's usually have crappy brakes and its a truck. When it was due for brakes again i decided not to cheap out (althought the raybestos QS pads i got last time were the most expensive brakes) i got PBR rotors (good quality ones, not the chinese made ones) and akebono ceramic pads. So far no warpage and it actually stops great now. personally, if its available i suggest to spend the extra money on akebono pads and quality rotors. I run akebono on all my cars, and they last long, show very minimal dust, and the performance is great.

I'm pretty sure it's the brakes pad that were crap in your dad's situation. personally, I think rotors are just rotors. rotors get warped cuz of excessive overheating. they can overheat due to a bunch of ways; like riding on brakes too much, shitty pads that overheat, or a driving style that does not match the performance provided by a given pad.

fliptuner 11-06-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 7172170)
I'm pretty sure it's the brakes pad that were crap in your dad's situation. personally, I think rotors are just rotors. rotors get warped cuz of excessive overheating. they can overheat due to a bunch of ways; like riding on brakes too much, shitty pads that overheat, or a driving style that does not match the performance provided by a given pad.

Not true at all. Cheap rotors are poorly cast (more porous/ less dense) and many times don't run true, right out of the box. If you look at a cheap, vented rotor and compare it to an OEM one, you'll notice that the vented section is wider, even though the overall thickness is the same, meaning less mass.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/rotor_warning.jpg

Leopold Stotch 11-06-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 7175324)
Not true at all. Cheap rotors are poorly cast (more porous/ less dense) and many times don't run true, right out of the box. If you look at a cheap, vented rotor and compare it to an OEM one, you'll notice that the vented section is wider, even though the overall thickness is the same, meaning less mass.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/rotor_warning.jpg

so is the aftermarket one with less mass better, due to weight and the size of the vents, or is the OEM bigger because it has more steel to take the heat?

oldsnail 11-06-2010 03:29 PM

for rotors.. ive been using brembo blanks for the last 3 cars..
they average around 30 each for my hondas

fliptuner 11-06-2010 05:33 PM

OEM spec and high quality aftermarket are made with better quality steel and more mass - they'll absorb and dissipate heat better and more evenly, preventing warpage.

Compare a dollar store frying pan to one that's the same size but made of cast iron. The cheap one will distort easily and the heavier cast iron will remain the same and distribute heat better - same principle.

bcrdukes 11-06-2010 05:56 PM

I think what death_blossom was inferring is that most people (on this forum alone probably) will never use their rotors to the full capability they are designed for, hence his suggestion that rotors are rotors.

skylinergtr 11-06-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7175690)
I think what death_blossom was inferring is that most people (on this forum alone probably) will never use their rotors to the full capability they are designed for, hence his suggestion that rotors are rotors.

not exactly the point. If you want them to last longer (be still good for a next set of pads), be easily machinable, and to cause less vibration then don't cheap out and get cheap rotors. Depending on how you drive and where you live, you'd be surprised how hard we are on brakes. Considering I live on the hills and admit to drive aggresively. I've had my share of brakes that work vs brakes that dont work. I have to agree witl fliptuner and his example is a very good one.