REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
shenmecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,857
Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
How are Raybestos Rotors and Pads?

How do they perform in comparison to OEM? Im talking about the "Professional Grade" ones not the "Advance Technology" ones. Anyone using them for their cars?
Advertisement
__________________
2014 Honda Civic Si
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 9,441
Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Pads are gay.

Rotors are okay.

Go OEM for the best.
__________________
Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
うに
 
PK-EK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 403
Posts: 1,272
Thanked 895 Times in 375 Posts
i can get almost any raybestos rotor for under 50/each
that give you an idea?
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 3,463
Thanked 814 Times in 319 Posts
go hawk pads. oem rotors
__________________
P H O T O G R A P H E R
www.jacksonzhao.com
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,142
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
lordco sells them.....

its........ average, nothing special
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
keifun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: VANcity East
Posts: 3,175
Thanked 274 Times in 132 Posts
Hawk HPS pads...perfect for just street driving.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
skylinergtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 569
Thanked 279 Times in 105 Posts
pad's are okay, but rotors are crap.

I used to use them on my dad's ford explorer and we kept getting warped rotors because its a heavy car. The braking performance was shitty, and i always thought it was just because ford's usually have crappy brakes and its a truck. When it was due for brakes again i decided not to cheap out (althought the raybestos QS pads i got last time were the most expensive brakes) i got PBR rotors (good quality ones, not the chinese made ones) and akebono ceramic pads. So far no warpage and it actually stops great now. personally, if its available i suggest to spend the extra money on akebono pads and quality rotors. I run akebono on all my cars, and they last long, show very minimal dust, and the performance is great.
__________________
-Rod

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 9,441
Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
.
__________________
Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.

Last edited by Alphamale; 11-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
death_blossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,064
Thanked 179 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
pad's are okay, but rotors are crap.

I used to use them on my dad's ford explorer and we kept getting warped rotors because its a heavy car. The braking performance was shitty, and i always thought it was just because ford's usually have crappy brakes and its a truck. When it was due for brakes again i decided not to cheap out (althought the raybestos QS pads i got last time were the most expensive brakes) i got PBR rotors (good quality ones, not the chinese made ones) and akebono ceramic pads. So far no warpage and it actually stops great now. personally, if its available i suggest to spend the extra money on akebono pads and quality rotors. I run akebono on all my cars, and they last long, show very minimal dust, and the performance is great.
I'm pretty sure it's the brakes pad that were crap in your dad's situation. personally, I think rotors are just rotors. rotors get warped cuz of excessive overheating. they can overheat due to a bunch of ways; like riding on brakes too much, shitty pads that overheat, or a driving style that does not match the performance provided by a given pad.
__________________
Nullify the Vegetarian crusade!
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 21,064
Thanked 14,306 Times in 3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the brakes pad that were crap in your dad's situation. personally, I think rotors are just rotors. rotors get warped cuz of excessive overheating. they can overheat due to a bunch of ways; like riding on brakes too much, shitty pads that overheat, or a driving style that does not match the performance provided by a given pad.
Not true at all. Cheap rotors are poorly cast (more porous/ less dense) and many times don't run true, right out of the box. If you look at a cheap, vented rotor and compare it to an OEM one, you'll notice that the vented section is wider, even though the overall thickness is the same, meaning less mass.

__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 11-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Leopold Stotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,044
Thanked 315 Times in 149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Not true at all. Cheap rotors are poorly cast (more porous/ less dense) and many times don't run true, right out of the box. If you look at a cheap, vented rotor and compare it to an OEM one, you'll notice that the vented section is wider, even though the overall thickness is the same, meaning less mass.

so is the aftermarket one with less mass better, due to weight and the size of the vents, or is the OEM bigger because it has more steel to take the heat?
__________________
1996 Honda Accord
1995 Nissan 240sx
2004 Infiniti G35
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
oldsnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4,192
Thanked 375 Times in 180 Posts
for rotors.. ive been using brembo blanks for the last 3 cars..
they average around 30 each for my hondas
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch
 
fliptuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 21,064
Thanked 14,306 Times in 3,935 Posts
OEM spec and high quality aftermarket are made with better quality steel and more mass - they'll absorb and dissipate heat better and more evenly, preventing warpage.

Compare a dollar store frying pan to one that's the same size but made of cast iron. The cheap one will distort easily and the heavier cast iron will remain the same and distribute heat better - same principle.
__________________
feedback

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad


RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: No.
Posts: 25,412
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,852 Posts
I think what death_blossom was inferring is that most people (on this forum alone probably) will never use their rotors to the full capability they are designed for, hence his suggestion that rotors are rotors.
__________________
Posted from my Nokia E71
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
skylinergtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 569
Thanked 279 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I think what death_blossom was inferring is that most people (on this forum alone probably) will never use their rotors to the full capability they are designed for, hence his suggestion that rotors are rotors.
not exactly the point. If you want them to last longer (be still good for a next set of pads), be easily machinable, and to cause less vibration then don't cheap out and get cheap rotors. Depending on how you drive and where you live, you'd be surprised how hard we are on brakes. Considering I live on the hills and admit to drive aggresively. I've had my share of brakes that work vs brakes that dont work. I have to agree witl fliptuner and his example is a very good one.
__________________
-Rod

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net