REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
SardaukarMod

Your car's gonna get hacked!

No, seriously. All these electronic nannies and network systems built into our new fancy cars nowadays make our lives totally convenient: Ford's Sync, GM's OnStar, etc. plus internal networks within the vehicle itself. They do not have robust protection from network intrusions however.

The actual paper (from UW and UCSD) might be a bit boring for those of you not technically minded but here's the abstract and conclusions:

Quote:
Experimental Security Analysis of a Modern Automobile

Abstract - Modern automobiles are no longer mere mechanical devices; they are pervasively monitored and controlled by dozens of digital computers coordinated via internal vehicular networks. While this transformation has driven major advancements in efficiency and safety, it has also introduced a range of new potential risks. In this paper we experimentally evaluate these issues on a modern automobile and demonstrate the fragility of the underlying system structure. We demonstrate that an attacker who is able to infiltrate virtually any Electronic Control Unit (ECU) can leverage this ability to completely circumvent a broad array of safety-critical systems. Over a range of experiments, both in the lab and in road tests, we demonstrate the ability to adversarially control a wide range of automotive functions and completely ignore driver input—including disabling the brakes, selectively braking individual wheels on demand, stopping the engine, and so on. We find that it is possible to bypass rudimentary network security protections within the car, such as maliciously bridging between our car’s two internal subnets. We also present composite attacks that leverage individual weaknesses, including an attack that embeds malicious code in a car’s telematics unit and that will completely erase any evidence of its presence after a crash. Looking forward, we discuss the complex challenges in addressing these vulnerabilities while considering the existing automotive ecosystem.
Quote:
VII. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS

Although we are not the first to observe that computerized automotive systems may present new risks, our empirical approach has given us a unique perspective to reflect on the actual vulnerabilities of modern cars as they are built and deployed today. We summarize these findings here and then discuss the complex challenges in addressing them within the existing automotive ecosystem.

• Extent of Damage. Past work, e.g., [19], [24], [26], [27], [28], discuss potential risks to cyber-physical vehicles and thus we knew that adversaries might be able to do damage by attacking the components within cars. We did not, however, anticipate that we would be able to directly manipulate safety critical ECUs (indeed, all ECUs that we tested) or that we would be allowed to create unsafe conditions of such magnitude.

• Ease of Attack. In starting this project we expected to spend significant effort reverse-engineering, with non-trivial effort to identify and exploit each subtle vulnerability. However, we found existing automotive systems—at least those we tested—to be tremendously fragile. Indeed, our simple fuzzing infrastructure was very effective and to our surprise, a large fraction of the random packets we sent resulted in changes to the state of our car. Based on this experience, we believe that a fuzzer itself is likely be a universal attack for disrupting arbitrary automobiles (similar to how the “crashme” program that fuzzed system calls was effective in crashing operating systems before the syscall interface was hardened).

• Unenforced Access Controls. While we believe that standard access controls are weak, we were surprised at the extent to which the controls that did exist were frequently unused. For example, the firmware on an ECU controls all of its critical functionality and thus the standard for our car’s CAN protocol variant describes methods for ECUs to protect against unauthorized firmware updates. We were therefore surprised that we could load firmware onto some key ECUs, like our telematics unit (a critical ECU) and our Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), without any such authentication. Similarly, the protocol standard also makes an earnest attempt to restrict access to DeviceControl diagnostic capabilities. We were therefore also surprised to find that critical ECUs in our car would respond to DeviceControl packets without authentication first.

• Attack Amplification. We found multiple opportunities for attackers to amplify their capabilities—either in reach or in stealth. For example, while the designated gateway node between the car’s low-speed and highspeed networks (the BCM) should not expose any interface that would let a low-speed node compromise the high-speed network, we found that we could maliciously bridge these networks through a compromised telematics unit. Thus, the compromise of any ECU becomes sufficient to manipulate safety-critical components such as the EBCM. As more and more components integrate into vehicles, it may become increasingly difficult to properly secure all bridging points.

Finally, we also found that, in addition to being able to load custom code onto an ECU via the CAN network, it is straightforward to design this code to completely erase any evidence of itself after executing its attack. Thus, absent any such forensic trail, it may be infeasible to determine if a particular crash is caused by an attack or not. While a seemingly minor point, we believe that this is in fact a very dangerous capability as it minimizes the possibility of any law enforcement action that might deter individuals from using such attacks.

In reflecting on our overall experiences, we observe that while automotive components are clearly and explicitly designed to safely tolerate failures—responding appropriately when components are prevented from communicating—it seems clear that tolerating attacks has not been part of the same design criteria.
the actual paper is here: http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-oakland2010.pdf
Advertisement
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
I'll be good I promise.

Thanked 1,551 Times in 329 Posts
So hide yo Ford's Sync, hide yo GM's OnStar cuz they hacking errbody out here.

Last edited by Kim Jong Un; 11-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Kim Jong Un is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
That's why my 92 runner is too new for me...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
So vehicles don't have secure networks. Who cares? It's not like people can pull up beside you and compromise your car wirelessly. These guys had full access to the vehicles (including removal of computers to bench test them). They even built custom interfaces to connect to the vehicle networks.

If someone broke into my house, sat down at one of my PC's, turned it on and started screwing with my system, are people going to say my PC had poor protection because I didn't use a password to prevent the burglar from using my PC?

Are people going to break into your car and spend hours hacking into and scrambling your cars networks just for fun? Do you think someone would go through this much trouble just to screw around with your car?

What did these guys really prove? That by sending large amounts of random data messages and packets that they were able to disrupt your cars operations? Gee, a bit of sugar and water in your gas tank would be so much easier.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It's already happened once, a dealership in the states had a disgruntled ex-employee wirelessly disable all of the cars they sold.

That wasn't even through hacking, just lax security.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

High tech version of cutting one's brake lines? Wow.. too much time on someone's hands!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
So vehicles don't have secure networks. Who cares? It's not like people can pull up beside you and compromise your car wirelessly. These guys had full access to the vehicles (including removal of computers to bench test them). They even built custom interfaces to connect to the vehicle networks.

If someone broke into my house, sat down at one of my PC's, turned it on and started screwing with my system, are people going to say my PC had poor protection because I didn't use a password to prevent the burglar from using my PC?

Are people going to break into your car and spend hours hacking into and scrambling your cars networks just for fun? Do you think someone would go through this much trouble just to screw around with your car?

What did these guys really prove? That by sending large amounts of random data messages and packets that they were able to disrupt your cars operations? Gee, a bit of sugar and water in your gas tank would be so much easier.
lol. well, the paper wasn't meant to be some sort of dire warning; that we needed to do something about it right away like not drive our cars anymore.

just an FYI. interesting perhaps for those that didn't realize that cars had internal networks that could be tampered with.

i wonder if perhaps fancy cars with built-in GPS units could be hacked into by police/government surveillance. ie: they could put a GPS tracker on the vehicle to see where it goes, but if they could hack into the built-in GPS system, they could see where the vehicle has been. a history of the vehicle's recent travels. would be interesting for intelligence gathering.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post

^^With most vehicles today, there's no way to wirelessly access the vehicle's software systems. This doesn't mean this will always be the case. Through WIFI, or cellular, it is not inconceivable that an automaker can download data logs about your vehicle's usage patterns or operating parameters from any vehicle. Te manufacturer could also update software controlling various subsystems. A black hat would be able to infiltrate your car's system the same way and upload any type of malicious program that takes control of your vehicle's subsystems. This is the risk that the paper is referring to.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
It's already happened once, a dealership in the states had a disgruntled ex-employee wirelessly disable all of the cars they sold.

That wasn't even through hacking, just lax security.
Those cars had aftermarket GPS systems installed (the ones where you can log in to a website and disable your own car if it's been stolen). However, the reason they installed the devices was so they could disable cars if people didn't make their payments. It's one of those "we finance anybody" places.

He didn't do it to factory stock vehicles.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Finally, we also found that, in addition to being able to load custom code onto an ECU via the CAN network, it is straightforward to design this code to completely erase any evidence of itself after executing its attack.
I've got one word for this statement: checksum

I call BS on their "erase evidence" claim.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
hmmm but you do have to remember OnStar has the ability to cut off your car's engine power, work its signal lights and other instruments when requested by the police....

so no OnStar?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote