REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Police procedure question

Hey guys, I'm trying to find some answers about police procedure in a hypothetical scenario (for a law class), to find out if any of the officers procedures were out of line/against a code of conduct, and if there are any (even slight) procedural discrepancies. Here is the scenario:

Quote:
One night, while cruising down Granville Street in his marked police cruiser, and in full uniform, Sgt. Abe Able, a twenty-five year veteran of the Vancouver City Police, received a call from his dispatcher asking him to investigate a theft at the Pizza Patio on Hornby Street, two blocks to the west.
Upon arrival Able saw that eight or ten persons were seated in the restaurant and that two persons were standing near the cash register talking to a person who appeared to be the cook. One of these two persons was Sly Furtive, a young male dressed in dirty jeans, expensive runners, and a "hoody" that was much too large for him. The other person was Chris Crackhead, a man Able knew had a criminal record for dealing drugs.
As Able entered the restaurant, Furtive looked around, saw Able, and immediately began walking at a fast pace down a hallway which led to the rear exit of the restaurant.
Able had enjoyed pizza in the restaurant before, and he knew that the hallway led to the exit. He also knew that it led to the men's washroom.
Able followed Furtive down the hallway and told him to stop as he wished to speak to him regarding "a theft". Furtive did not respond. He kept walking in the direction of the rear door. He later asserted that he did not hear Able, due to the loud music the restaurant had playing throughout the premises. Before Furtive could exit the building Able ran up and forcibly prevented him from doing so.
Furtive resisted Able's attempt to subdue him. He also shouted obscenities at Able. It was only with great difficulty that Able cuffed Furtive and forced him into a chair, in full view of the other restaurant patrons. Able then spoke to the cook. It was only then that the cook informed Able that the "theft" had been a dine and dash, and that the thief had long since disappeared into the night. Able then released Furtive, and told him to be on his way. Furtive shouted that Able would hear from his lawyer.
Furtive suffered only minor injuries, but decided to sue Able. The trial judge dismissed Furtive's lawsuit. Furtive appeals.
Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Well there is probably some information missing here...

What other information was the Sgt. provided with about the call?

Did the Sgt. detain or arrest Furtive?

-If I was only told that a theft occured, and when I arrived a guy took one look at me and headed for the rear door, I'd probably detain the guy as well. If I had more information, such as a suspect description and the time of the theft, I'd arrest that guy if he matched the description provided.
In either case, if he turned out to be an unrelated person, I would have no problem explaining the situation to the guy.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I guess the whole idea of furtive purposely avoiding the officer even being asked to cooperate would be enough reasoning to cuff him
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I guess the whole idea of furtive purposely avoiding the officer even being asked to cooperate would be enough reasoning to cuff him
IIRC .. Furtive would not be required to answer any of the officers questions. He could simply say "I do not wish to answer any of your questions" with his back turned to the officer.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
Well there is probably some information missing here...

What other information was the Sgt. provided with about the call?

Did the Sgt. detain or arrest Furtive?

-If I was only told that a theft occured, and when I arrived a guy took one look at me and headed for the rear door, I'd probably detain the guy as well. If I had more information, such as a suspect description and the time of the theft, I'd arrest that guy if he matched the description provided.
In either case, if he turned out to be an unrelated person, I would have no problem explaining the situation to the guy.
Sadly, this is all the information given. Personally I think it's pretty weak, as (to my understanding) the dispatcher would provide a lot more information to the officer, so this is a crummily made scenario.

If any of the officers on here could provide some insight, as well as their reasoning, that would be fantastic.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"Sadly, this is all the information given. Personally I think it's pretty weak, as (to my understanding) the dispatcher would provide a lot more information to the officer, so this is a crummily made scenario.":

Not in the real world. The amount of info provided by the dispatcher is often lacking...and for many different reasons. Often the callers are under stress and leave out lots of important stuff, witnesses are mistaken in what they saw, some witnesses lie to obstruct the Police and sometime you have dispatchers who just want to move on to the next call they are getting. You go with what you got, knowing all these things probably happened in your call. That is why you may get stopped if you or your car etc. don't match the exact description (whatever it may be) given to dispatch. This is also why, in court cases and in the media specially, Police get slammed for harassing "innocent" and innocent people.

Last edited by zulutango; 11-09-2010 at 07:09 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
User Number 7

The scenario is pretty weak in it's detail..

1. If you're running from police, common-law has established police have the duty to investigate and powers to apprehend you. (While watching COPS you know those guys who see the police and run for no reason?, yeah the police can chase you down for doing that.. whereas if you just stood there they probably wouldn't have grounds to be searching you for drugs etc.. only for officer safety)

2. the scenario doesn't say how the officer tries to stop the guy, rather it just goes into a bloody fight (ie.. put hand on shoulder and tell him to stop)

Since the scenario just says he went up and then the crackhead resisted his attempts to subdue him, that is a big hole in the story.. that area would be the area of complaint if any..

Everything else was reasonable as it was a unfolding situation, ie.. he just lets crackhead walk off and the officer speaks to the manager to get more information.. now the bad guy is scott free.. police are allowed to detain people and stop things to slow down a fluid situation to figure out whats going on.

It comes down to

If you were going to investigate a theft and someone makes a b-line to an exit, it would be reasonable for police to stop that person briefly to determine whats going on. If that person fights, police can use whatever force is reasonable to stop the aggression and neutralize the threat he poses.

Now the last part, I would not handcuff someone then sit them on a chair.. because guess what.. now they have a chair to clobber you with... even when handcuffed you can do a lot of damage.

In real life.. it'd be like this..

Go to call... see shady people..they start walking away... ask staff loudly.. these the guys?.. yes you arrest.. no you continue talking to staff for more info.. no need for a paragraph of what ifs that are stupid. Better to just let the bad guys go then getting a lawsuit anyways, since no one will ever back the police.
Volitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Thanks gents, from the looks of it there's no way to win this from Furtive's side of things.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Seriously... someone who goes around with the name Furtive is just BEGGING for unwanted attention from the cops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I remember that old "Far Side" cartoon of one deer talking to another deer with the bullseye design on his back..."What a bummer Hal"..
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote