REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
ddr
Snapping away

MemX will build your computer for you for free

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/no-ch...chmond-961127/

woah. curious to see what ncix will do.

after buying parts for 2 systems from memX, i'm never going back to NCIX. Their customer service is top notch, makes you feel like you've been bullied before lol. Only gripe is their limited selection compared to NCIX. but that can change later on and they carry enough of the mainstream stuff for the average consumer.

last time i wanted a quickmount from ncix, i had to ask for it, and i had to sound like i was begging for it.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
ncix is cheaper, and it takes 30 minutes to put together a comp. and I have fun doing it.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
MemoryExpress will beat NCIX's price by 5%.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
yea on the same boat not even because of building a free comp, heck anyone can do that but when I went to buy my new video card, the customer service was wayyyy better. Also can't beat the 5% price BEAT.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
MemoryExpress will beat NCIX's price by 5%.
It's just too bad they don't carry all the stuff that NCIX has.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Once they have a website that isn't a pain to navigate or to look at, I'll shop with them.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
Once they have a website that isn't a pain to navigate or to look at, I'll shop with them.
A website's design stops you from having better customer service and saving money?
MaximalLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
What's better? I've constantly gone to NCIX for the past 2 years and I've dealt with 3 people. Tony, Marco and Nambin. Notice how I know their names? Because I've been recieving great customer service from them.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

NCIX I found to have knowledgable staff, but they aren't as willing or available to help you. When you go, it's usually so busy that they never actually approach you. When you ask them questions, sometimes they can help, sometimes they can't.

Memory Express I would definitely say is better for the average consumer, because they more staff on hand, who are there to answer questions, and they actually seem more willing to help you out.

and NCIX bugs me because if an item is on sale, and you haven't checked their sale list, you could very well be paying regular price for it. Memory express - while I'm not a huge fan of their website, they always show their sale price on their site. I know people will say that you should always check the sale listing - but not everybody knows that, and I'd feel cheated if it seems that they knowingly charged me the regular price when it is on sale.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
NCIX I found to have knowledgable staff, but they aren't as willing or available to help you. When you go, it's usually so busy that they never actually approach you. When you ask them questions, sometimes they can help, sometimes they can't.

Memory Express I would definitely say is better for the average consumer, because they more staff on hand, who are there to answer questions, and they actually seem more willing to help you out.

and NCIX bugs me because if an item is on sale, and you haven't checked their sale list, you could very well be paying regular price for it. Memory express - while I'm not a huge fan of their website, they always show their sale price on their site. I know people will say that you should always check the sale listing - but not everybody knows that, and I'd feel cheated if it seems that they knowingly charged me the regular price when it is on sale.
Really? every time I get my # @ NCIX and a customer service guy approaches me, it seems that we always get into a discussion on what parts I should pick, and the guys are quite knowledgeable and make some great suggestions like "this ram is cheaper and has less DOA, and better of OC'ing compared to the one you're getting" and I went home and read some reviews on the ram, everything the guy was saying seemed like it was true..

I donno, I've been a pretty satisfied NCIX customer over the years, and I like going to pick up parts at the actual location rather than getting it shipped over.. MemX is all the way in Richmond which is kind of far for me as well but I definitely want to go check out their store sometime soon.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
ncix, hassle free, best pricing especially with their PM system, IZ BEST BRO.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Really? every time I get my # @ NCIX and a customer service guy approaches me, it seems that we always get into a discussion on what parts I should pick, and the guys are quite knowledgeable and make some great suggestions like "this ram is cheaper and has less DOA, and better of OC'ing compared to the one you're getting" and I went home and read some reviews on the ram, everything the guy was saying seemed like it was true..
Maybe it's just different experiences. There's one guy at the broadway one I really like, but most of the chinese guys there i haven't really taken to. I think NCIX has improved over the years (anybody ever go to Atic Computers? That place was a shithole...) but I've ever only had good experiences at Mem Express. It is further for me - but they have such long hours, so if you're there for dinner on the weekend, it's not hard to stop by. PLUS, there's actually free parking there!

and I think it's cool that Mem Express will just open up websites to check prices for you to PM. I've never PM'd at NCIX, because they were always cheapest in Vancouver...
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post

and I think it's cool that Mem Express will just open up websites to check prices for you to PM. I've never PM'd at NCIX, because they were always cheapest in Vancouver...
that's where you're wrong. locally it may be, but they PM with online places too.

find item and plug it into shopbot.ca and it'll find the lowest price among all the retailers. then just use that to PM to an even lower price.

i'd say a good portion of the items i buy from ncix can be PM'd to even lower through bestdirect.ca or canadacomputers, all by using shopbot.ca
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I've always been a longtime customer of NCIX. They have the better website and better weekly deals. However, I've been to Memory Express 3x now and each time they've provided excellent service and gone farther than needed to help me find what I need.

Since they price BEAT anyone by 5%, I'm going to make all future purchases at Memory Express. They're customer service is great and they don't charge restocking fees on returns!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
ddr
Snapping away

I know enough about the products I purchase that technically I do not need customer service. but now memX is cheaper... what's there to think about? ... customer service?

MemX will beat NCIX, or anyone locally by 5%, and pm online ones, and I feel like I've been treated as a customer. I know someone that works at NCIX too, but on average everyone else is not very friendly. This is just my experience. And it's nice that some of you build your own computers, so do I, but i mean.... does this statement translate to the person who made it building comps for free for the general public?

like i said, the times i will go to ncix from now on is when they have something memX doesn't. and I agree, the NCIX's online PM system is a lot easier, but i've never been turned down for a PM or a 5% P-beat at memX, not to mention it's instant and i do not have to wait for an email approval. last time i shopped there i printed a list of parts for two systems i needed to build, along with the urls + prices i generated from shopbot, and just waited for them to grab the parts from the back. i don't know what's quicker, the person serving u grabbing the parts for you, or 1-2 person at a counter taking care of all the parts grabbing. I like ncix's online pm system in that after i pay for it online I'm guaranteed stock when i receive the email to go pick it up; i'm not sure how accurate memX's stock system is.

i just don't understand all this fan-fare. i think it's great though that ncix has so many loyal customers. I just feel bullied into shopping from them because there weren't any other cheaper places in town until MemX came.

Last edited by ddr; 11-07-2010 at 06:16 PM.
ddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,842 Times in 8,204 Posts
I always shopped at NCIX until I moved.. I never found their service to be particularly unfriendly... Go in, get a number, tell them what you want, pay for it, done.

Anyone remember ATIC?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I don't know what some of you guys are complaining about in terms of service. But I've always only dealt with one guy at the Vancouver location. Great guy and he's always helpful. I don't even need to be at the computer to purchase an item, I'll call the guy up directly and he'll set it aside or if they don't have it in stock he'll put an order in for me and call me when it's arrived so I can go pick it up and pay. Never had to wait longer then 2 days to get an item to the store.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #18
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I always shopped at NCIX until I moved.. I never found their service to be particularly unfriendly... Go in, get a number, tell them what you want, pay for it, done.

Anyone remember ATIC?
I never found them to be rude, I just never found them to be super friendly either. They do their job competently, but it's nice to just chit chat every once in a while. When I'm at Mem Express, the guys seem happy, and they ask you about your day, what build you're doing, stuff like that. I don't care too much because I just want a cheap price - but I would recommend Mem Express to most people because I've gotten more pleasant experiences from them - on top of being competent.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,842 Times in 8,204 Posts
Ugh I hate chit chat.. NCIX it is!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
ddr
Snapping away

r u guys totally missing the point?

5% less for local stuff. or customer service optional. and back to the original topic, if u don't know how to build a computer someone will do it for u.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Had too much poor service at NCIX lately. I'm switching to Memory Express for my next computer related purchase regardless of the 5% beat. Going simply because I've heard good things from people who've visited the store.

Just two weeks ago, I bought a DVD RW for someone at NCIX but had to refund it the next day. They had the nerve of charging me restocking fee because it was missing a clear plastic bag and some two page manual or warranty paper. The ironic thing is, they didn't even include said items when I bought the drive; the product never even left the bag when I returned it.

Good luck NCIX. It's the last straw, and you just lost a customer over two fucking dollars.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
I've always gotten all of my computer related stuff from NCIX. I've never had a problem with them at all. I usually do my research at home and don't really. I have the SKUs ready when I go in the store, tell them what I need, then they get it ready for me and I'm good to go.

Sometimes I ask them what they feel about what I'm buying but they usually don't sway me away unless there's a really good deal going on that week.

I've dealt with Tony a few times at Richmond and Daniel in the vancouver one but haven't been there in ages since the richmond one is a lot closer to my house.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #23
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I haven't really had to buy any computer stuff in a long time... certainly not since MemoryExpress opened up. Although I've been buying almost exclusively from NCIX since they were a tiny little dinky location, can't argue with 5% price beat... so if I were to buy something now, I would definitely see if MemEx has it for less first.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,846 Times in 1,781 Posts
NCIX gave me free shipping on my last couple of internet pick up orders when I couldn't pick up my stuff last time I was in Vancouver because some C-Lai crashed her Benz into the power pole that fed the Kingsway location's building (Cutting out power all day).

Although since all my items were pre-paid and ready, it was disappointing I couldn't just pick it up (Something with their system I guess).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I need a new mobo I screwed upmine trying to overclock it would mem express instal mobo for me? Or is it free install when u buy a whole system
Posted via RS Mobile
rubencruz is offline   Reply With Quote