REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

LED lightbulbs worth the extra money?

I have never used energy saving bulbs but lately I feel like saving a few bucks and get some energy saving bulbs. I see there r CFLs and LEDs. LEDs are more expensive but they claim to be better. Which kind of bulb should I choose?
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I would use LED as accent lighting, but not a main source of light. I believe LEDs shoot straight out in a more concentrated beam, so you should also expect shadows.

For a main source of lighting + flood lighting I would use either incandescent or fluorescent.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
If you want actual light output, use regular Incandescent/Flourescent.
LEDs are just fancy. Use them as ambient lighting, or Nightlights.

SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

What kind of fixture's are they for? Had a European light fixture manufacturer come in with some amazing fixtures available.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

icic, well, i guess CFL it is then. I'm using it as main light

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
^Yeah CFLs give good white lighting. You may also consider using incandescent if you want to install dimmers.

Kinda off topic, I'm an apprentice electrician and I've worked in a lot of high end custom homes... Anyways one customer wanted LED valance lighting to go around the perimeter of each room. It's basically a roll of little LEDs on a line of 3M tape, which costs $50/foot. Not to mention each line needs to be hooked up to a driver. Expensive!
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

CFL's are bad for you. stick with normal bulbs untill LED's get cheaper and brighter.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
^Yeah CFLs give good white lighting. You may also consider using incandescent if you want to install dimmers.

Kinda off topic, I'm an apprentice electrician and I've worked in a lot of high end custom homes... Anyways one customer wanted LED valance lighting to go around the perimeter of each room. It's basically a roll of little LEDs on a line of 3M tape, which costs $50/foot. Not to mention each line needs to be hooked up to a driver. Expensive!
LMAO Is it the same stuff that is selling for $2 a foot on ebay?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm a LED lighting supplier. There is a whole crap load of LED resellers out there. You get what you pay for. There is a huge difference between a $30 bulb and a $12 bulb. Colour output also varies on what brand and type of LED is being used.

$50/foot of strip lighting is roughly the retail cost, wholesale is usually around $70 for a 5meter roll. Yes, power supplies are extra.

If anyone is interested, just let me know. We have over 20 products that qualify for BC Hydro's incentive program. ie, $30 for a LED bulb, our retail price on it is $30, so your getting it free, but it must be purchased under a business.

We only carry quality products, that is why we were selected to supply for Pacific Centre's new outdoor lighting, North Van Civic Centre, Coastal Hotel, etc.
kalekain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Hi Kalekain.. .i bought a track lighting system from home depot... and right now they are using 50W halogen bulbs. Is there a way for me to change it to LED bulbs without compromising the warm colours I am getting?

Thanks.
J
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsup View Post
Hi Kalekain.. .i bought a track lighting system from home depot... and right now they are using 50W halogen bulbs. Is there a way for me to change it to LED bulbs without compromising the warm colours I am getting?

Thanks.
J
what type of bulb is it? MR16?
what base type is it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifaceted_reflector

assuming they are mr16's which are pretty common for track lights, heres a bi-pin they have at home depot
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

not sure about how the colour temperature is tho
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
CFL's are bad for you.
That's just horseshit. They're the exact same technology as has been used in full-sized fluorescent lights for DECADES now... you know, those long tubes in the ceilings of stores, factories, schools, kitchens, workshops...

They all have flicker, they all contain mercury... they've been in commercial use since *1938* and the world hasn't come to an end because of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
what type of bulb is it? MR16?
what base type is it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifaceted_reflector

assuming they are mr16's which are pretty common for track lights, heres a bi-pin they have at home depot
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

not sure about how the colour temperature is tho
They are GU10 Base... i cant find them at homedepot.ca any idea where I can find these locally?? i searched on google.. and they seem to be about 50 bucks per bulb... argh.. i have 5 lights to replace..
Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
They are GU10 Base... i cant find them at homedepot.ca any idea where I can find these locally?? i searched on google.. and they seem to be about 50 bucks per bulb... argh.. i have 5 lights to replace..
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~led-lightbu...!mr16-led_shop
$8.47 each

4100 K
not sure of the lumen output tho

and heres another:
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~led-bulb-gl...!mr16-led_shop
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
just my opinion...

I don't think using those flourescent bulbs will cause any change in your electric bill. They give off very very little heat so in the winter time it may feel colder around the house with these bulbs. which will cause u to probably turn the heat up.

I have done some research on my own with my own electric bill and found out that with regular use, you do not end up saving any money what so ever, the electric bill was the same amount as before, and this was after changing every bulb in my house to flourescent bulbs. The only difference i saw was that the flourescent bulbs give off more light.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
just my opinion...

I don't think using those flourescent bulbs will cause any change in your electric bill. They give off very very little heat so in the winter time it may feel colder around the house with these bulbs. which will cause u to probably turn the heat up.
That's a silly argument - unless your whole house is lit up by a bunch of 500W flood lights, the amount of heat contributed by incandescents is negligible to the overall heating of the house.

Quote:
I have done some research on my own with my own electric bill and found out that with regular use, you do not end up saving any money what so ever, the electric bill was the same amount as before, and this was after changing every bulb in my house to flourescent bulbs. The only difference i saw was that the flourescent bulbs give off more light.
Did you measure the actual difference between the bulbs, or just look at your electric bill? Running the dryer a couple more times, using the oven a couple more times, the fridge running longer because you stocked more beer in it... there are lots of things that could take more power and balance out the readings. Unless you're tracking the usage and consumption of EVERY appliance, you can't make a valid comparison by simply looking at the electric bill.
Quote:
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:

Thanks.
J
Yup, you just have to find one that is between 2800k to 3000k, that is warm white.

Also, for 50W you need to get a 7W MR16 or GU10 bulb, or a really high quality 5W to be similiar to the 50W output of halogen. 3W will look dim.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
I am Hook'd on RS

You are only going to notice a huge difference in electric bills if your lights are on 24 hours. As for the lights heating your house, most of your lights are up high, and heat rises, so it's pure fiction that your heater will run less.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~led-lightbu...!mr16-led_shop
$8.47 each

4100 K
not sure of the lumen output tho

and heres another:
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~led-bulb-gl...!mr16-led_shop
That bulb will give you 70 lumens if your lucky.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You really shouldn't notice a difference until a few months later or the year after. Way I see it is that a meter reader must first confirm your power use. Hydro bills us from past historical use and does not have the ability to tell what power you use daily... least not until they install the new meters with wireless connectivity.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
You really shouldn't notice a difference until a few months later or the year after. Way I see it is that a meter reader must first confirm your power use. Hydro bills us from past historical use and does not have the ability to tell what power you use daily... least not until they install the new meters with wireless connectivity.
True if your on the pro-rated plan. If your on the actual month to month plan, then you can compare. You can also purchase a digital meter monitor and see what your power usage is, i think they are like $100. There are wireless ones available as well.

As with anything that's own by the government, 1 year might be 2 years.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #22

The other thing is, again, watching your OVERALL power usage isn't really an accurate indicator of savings JUST from swapping light bulbs - you still have everything else using varying amounts of power that can throw the average off. You may save a few KWh on the bulbs over the course of a month, but cook one more frozen pizza than you did last month, and running the oven bumps the overall usage back up. Remember, there are plenty of appliances that use WAY more energy than ALL the lights in the house combined - stove, dryer, water heater... electric heat, if applicable.
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #23

I found some LED lights at superstore but they are not bright enough...

Does anyone know where I can find a GU10 bulb in LED or even halogen that is brighter than the stock 50W halogen it comes with ??? I've searched home depot, crappy tire, and rona.. and the max seems to be 50W
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #24
I am Hook'd on RS

GU10 halogen max is 50W, there is nothing higher.

LED max in a standard fitting is 7W, there are higher ones, but they are not in standard sizes and are fugly.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The heat factor housewise, you are right, its not noticeable.

However, the heat factor does come into play in smaller rooms(halogens in a small kitchen drive me nuts) and most important, brown marks on the ceiling. If you get people putting 100watt incandescents in a flushmount it cooks the paint and looks like crap.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote