REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
N sign replica= problem..?

i dont think there was this problem before...

is a vinyl'ed N sign replica legal...?

it looks just like the one issued by ICBC... cept its a vinyl sticker.

got pulled over last night and cop challenged me on it.?

it was clearly displayed and simply a green square with a black bold N on it..

(stating no fat chicks on the bottom in much smaller letters. but that has nothing to do with it.. he did like the idea though.)

does it still count as a proper N sign..?
Advertisement

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

The only official N signs required by your license restrictions come from ICBC or are printed from an ICBC supplied PDF for temporary display.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #3

so pretty much only the official ones could be used.?

tired of getting my N stolen.. i actually found out my N got stolen while i was driving in downtown once... (stuck in traffic..)

so i got the sticker, stuck it on the outside of the rear glass... got complained before for not displaying it clearly enough ( i drive a hatchback integra.. so its hard to see on the inside..)

Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Maybe the cop's mom is a fat chick and he didn't like you disrespecting his family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"must display official new driver's sign"....on the back of your DL....but as Skidmark said, as a genuine temporary measure you should have no problem.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #6

all the info i need..

thanks guys for clearing it up!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
tired of getting my N stolen.. i actually found out my N got stolen while i was driving in downtown once... (stuck in traffic..)
If that happens, immediately park the car wherever you are (leave it in the middle of the road if you have to) and find the nearest ICBC office to get a replacement N. Under no circumstances are you to move the car without the N on the back.

I suppose if you have to, flag down a pedestrian with a full class 5 licence to pull the car off to the side of the road and park it.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

haha i got the same N
aradi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
If that happens, immediately park the car wherever you are (leave it in the middle of the road if you have to) and find the nearest ICBC office to get a replacement N. Under no circumstances are you to move the car without the N on the back.

I suppose if you have to, flag down a pedestrian with a full class 5 licence to pull the car off to the side of the road and park it.
Let me guess... you have NEVER received a break from a peace officer.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Let me guess... you have NEVER received a break from a peace officer.
Never been in a situation where I have wanted one.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:

This made me LOL.

I've been followed by a cop while displaying a "Hot chicks Welcome" N sign and on another occasion displaying a cut up N sign.

Didn't get it trouble for it I'm assuming because I didn't break any other traffic laws to get myself pulled over.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #12

i got pulled over because of the apexi N1 fart can...

the car was on permit, and was supposed to get exhaust changed that day...

so i was like... problem officer...?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
I am grateful grapefruit

It used to be a problem when I had my class 7, back then, you had to pay to get a replacement one. Now - they give them away like candy - so I just tell anyone I know with a class 7, go to the licencing centre and get a couple.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:

OR, if you prefer to be smart, rather than an obtuse, reactionary, self-righteous git, you could just carry a couple extra N signs in your glove box... something that's been recommended by the resident cops here innumerable times.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
OR, if you prefer to be smart, rather than an obtuse, reactionary, self-righteous git, you could just carry a couple extra N signs in your glove box... something that's been recommended by the resident cops here innumerable times.
You never went to look for something you could have sworn you had a few of left? Then realized you used up the last one yesterday?

I'm sure most N drivers carry a couple of spares and my above example is a rare occurrence, but there will always be a few who run out at the most inopportune time.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The issue is that they don't allow you to get more than one at a time so it's a hassle

I don't feel like going to 3 different icbc in one day to get a new N sign and when you go inside icbc there is a big chance that it is stolen again.

Also don't give me the bullshit that "put it in your car when you leave"

Let's be honest you are very likely to forget to put it back out
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Also I have a few extras and they do run out at the wrong times, usually weekend and i don't have a printer built in my car to print one on the spot. And somehow I just get caught at the wrong time and the cops never believe me

Cops not believe me i don't blame them because I bet you so many people have used the someone stole it reason a million times so it turns out to be the boy who cried wolf
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #18

Quote:
You never went to look for something you could have sworn you had a few of left? Then realized you used up the last one yesterday?
Sure, who hasn't? Happens to most people with their gas tank at least once in a driving career. Happened to me recently with my driver's license.

Quote:
I'm sure most N drivers carry a couple of spares and my above example is a rare occurrence, but there will always be a few who run out at the most inopportune time.
So what's your point? "I'm sorry officer, I normally carry 200 spares but I used the last one just yesterday" isn't an excuse.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
The issue is that they don't allow you to get more than one at a time so it's a hassle
Well then sebberry must be mistaken, since he's "sure most N drivers carry a couple spares". Couldn't be that difficult to procure extras.

Quote:
I don't feel like going to 3 different icbc in one day to get a new N sign and when you go inside icbc there is a big chance that it is stolen again.
So... if you have three of them get stolen, you'll have to go back to ICBC three times for replacements... either all in the same day, and keep the extras on-board, or try to find a source when it actually happens, and hope you don't get caught first. Works out to the same number of visits either way.

Or is it also too difficult to print a couple of the "official" temporary replacements? It's not hard - you go to www.icbc.com, and right there on the front page is a link, "Lost your "L" or "N"?" Click that and it takes you to a page where you can download and print either. And yes, you'll still need to make the same number of trips back to the license office for the proper replacements.

Quote:
Also don't give me the bullshit that "put it in your car when you leave"

Let's be honest you are very likely to forget to put it back out
And that's an excuse? "Officer, it was stolen because I didn't put it safely inside my car because I was afraid I'd forget to put it back on"? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? That's like explaining to the nice tow truck driver that he should get your keys out of the car for free, because you locked them in there on purpose so you wouldn't forget them somewhere.

Seriously, if you can't handle the responsibility of looking after that sign, you may not be ready for the responsibility of driving in the first place. It's really not that complicated.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Also I have a few extras and they do run out at the wrong times,...
This is the thing: if you only keep one around, and it disappears on you, you'll have to go get another one ASAP, right?

So if you carry one spare... and you have to use it... would it not be the smart thing to do to go get a new one ASAP, and keep that as a spare?

Either way, you have to go get another... but the second way, you're covering your ass. In the real world, it's called "taking responsibility for yourself."
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Also I have a few extras and they do run out at the wrong times, usually weekend and i don't have a printer built in my car to print one on the spot. And somehow I just get caught at the wrong time and the cops never believe me
Back when the graduated licencing first came out, I had to pay to replace N signs. I was barely working, so I couldn't afford to lose an N sign, so everytime I borrowed the car, I placed the N sign on the back, and when I stopped - I made sure I took it off. I never lost a sign.

People obviously complained that they had to pay something like $10 or $15 to get a replacement, so slowly, they made it free. There's also the argument that if it's free, you HAVE no excuse. But you can see from a lot of posts from the forums - that when something is free - they take it for granted and don't take care of it.

I couldn't afford a ticket - if I had a ticket, I couldn't afford to drive - so I made sure I never lost my sign, never sped, etc....
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Certified Troll: Access Removed

my friend had same problem went to court to dispute and failed to do so but got an discount on the ticket. N signs can only be used if ICBC logo is on it only. Any other custom made N sign is consider as decoration not as a official N display
jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
B&S Sexy mod

The best way to stop it from getting stolen:
Rip it or cut it up into lots of little pieces and reapply it to your car (leave itty bitty gaps so they can see its torn)

People will take a chunk ocassionaly, but the trophy factor (or whatever idiocy you want to call it) is severly diminished if they have to work to take 35 or 40 pieces of magnet off the back of your car. It worked great when I had my N (people used to steal N's off of cars in the traffic jam at the 4-way stop just leaving my school). Plus: The entire approved sign is there, never got any grief from officers (and drove through roadblocks a few times a week), plus it wont fall off as easily because they follow weird contours better (they dont turn rigid/lose their curve when they get cold in the winter)

Last edited by stevo911_; 11-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
Rip it or cut it up into lots of little pieces and reapply it to your car (leave itty bitty gaps so they can see its torn)

People will take a chunk ocassionaly, but the trophy factor (or whatever idiocy you want to call it) is severly diminished if they have to work to take 35 or 40 pieces of magnet off the back of your car. It worked great when I had my N (people used to steal N's off of cars in the traffic jam at the 4-way stop just leaving my school). Plus: The entire approved sign is there, never got any grief from officers (and drove through roadblocks a few times a week), plus it wont fall off as easily because they follow weird contours better (they dont turn rigid/lose their curve when they get cold in the winter)
be careful though that shit melts onto the car itself if you leave it on...it actually happened to my old car during the summer when i left it on for 3 days, pain in the ass to get it off too
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #25
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post

Good idea, will look pretty ugly up close but still good, I carry 3 spare N's and one is split in half, I think from one of those icy days ><

@ruthless what makes you think a cut up N is any more vulnerable than a single solid one?

Do the N sign laws have anything to do with the reflective nature of the orange/green parts?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote