REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #126
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
Which primer do you guys recommend before applying automotive paint (should be acrylic lacquer I think)?
Advertisement
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #127
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
Just a reminder for those who care. The 41st Annual IPMS Show and Swap Meet is tomorrow. I don't care about the show, but will be at the swap meet. So many bargains there. Must get there early and line up, though, 'cause all the good stuff goes within minutes.

Burnaby Hobbies usually has their 20% off sale during the IPMS show. They don't attend, but make it a point to have a sale on the same date.

On a side note, I just received my Tamiya Thin Blade Craft Saw and Handy Craft Saw (no longer available in NA). I ordered them off eBay from a seller in HK. Arrived within a week. So cheap. I love Tamiya Craft Tools. I needed to remove some plastic from one of my ship models in order to put on some photo etched parts and this stuff is exactly what I needed to do the job right. Yes, I am a Tamiya Brand Whore/Fan Boy and proud of it.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #128
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
a model of the Yamato from the Star Blazers anime.
They can be had from eBay. They aren't cheap, though.

Over 600 bucks shipped, for the 1/350 scale model.

Very, very impressive.

1/350 Space Battleship Yamato | HobbyLink Japan
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #129
MG1

This year's IPMS show was awesome. OK, not the show part, but the swap meet was very good. So many bargain hunters, and there were definitely bargains to be had. I picked up a few models for 5 bucks each and picked up a BNIB Hasegawa 1/350 scale IJN Mikasa kit for 35 bucks. Toward the end the vendors were giving stuff away.

I bought a few raffle tickets and won twice. My winning tickets were picked at the end, so there wasn't much to chose from. I picked a box of aftermarket resin parts for a Tamiya Marder III kit worth about 50 bucks and a Revell bike kit.

Last edited by MG1; 10-11-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #130
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

MG1 did you enter any of your work in the show?
Posted via RS Mobile
asian_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #131
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_speedster View Post
MG1 did you enter any of your work in the show?
Posted via RS Mobile
Nope. My work is for my eyes only, LOLOLOL.

They sit in this custom made glass enclosure under lights in my den.

Some of the stuff being judged is way over my head - different league altogether. I build for enjoyment. Competitions kill any kind of enjoyment.

I'm sure I could place..... in the junior division (under 16), hee hee.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #132
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Burnaby Hobbies usually has their 20% off sale during the IPMS show. They don't attend, but make it a point to have a sale on the same date.
Went there on Saturday, hoping to buy a RC car... but their 20% sale doesn't apply to those, because the margins are too low.

Oh well... guess I'm going to buy on eBay.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #133
MG1

Fucking hell.......... those bastards. And a lame excuse at that.

There's always Boxing Day Sale. Imperial Hobbies and Magic Box have their 20 - 25% off sales then. Christmas money, FTMFW!!!!!

Last edited by MG1; 10-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #134
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Ugh, i won't be in Van for boxing day. Kelowna christmas

Atleast this weekend I got to do a tiny, tiny bit of work. Back to work on real airplanes now..sigh.
materials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #135
MG1

Nice................. a coworker of mine is into large scale commercial airplanes. Amazing stuff.

There must be some hobby shops in Kelowna. One of the shops in North Van relocated to the Interior.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #136

in kelowna there's only really two shops, with not much selection. mainly rc stuff. the shop you mentioned, from north van, is located in penticton- tried to check it out last summer but he wasn't open yet. I hear it's a good store though.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #137
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Fucking hell.......... those bastards. And a lame excuse at that.

There's always Boxing Day Sale. Imperial Hobbies and Magic Box have their 20 - 25% off sales then. Christmas money, FTMFW!!!!!
Well, to be fair, he wasn't being discriminatory... most of the RC stuff were marked with "ND" on the labels for "No Discount". They're probably not lying about the margins being too low.

I'm looking to buy a Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL. The cheapest online price I can find is $279. Their price is $329, so 20% off that would be $263, so they would definitely not make much off that sale.

I would suspect that it will be the same for those other stores...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #138
I STILL don't get it

anyone know where i could find a good f-22 fighter plane model? price isn't an issue and i want the best one possible.

thanks guys
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #139

1/48 - academy
1/72 - academy or fujimi

I've seen the fujimi one at imperial, academy is probably there too, as well as burnaby hobbies.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #140
MG1

Ah, Penticton........ same difference. Kelowna/Penticton/Kamloops = all the same.......

J/K

I heard it was a good store. Never had the chance to visit it while it was in the Lower Mainland.

Model building isn't as popular as it once was. Like I mentioned before somewhere, kids these days can't read, let alone follow directions from pictures. Oh well, shit happens.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #141
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates View Post
anyone know where i could find a good f-22 fighter plane model? price isn't an issue and i want the best one possible.

thanks guys
f-22 Plastic Model Store

I love Hobby Search. They often have pictures of parts and scans of intructions/colour guides. I think I've only bought one item from them. The IJN Ayanami by Fine Moulds in 1/350 scale.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #142
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Well, to be fair, he wasn't being discriminatory... most of the RC stuff were marked with "ND" on the labels for "No Discount". They're probably not lying about the margins being too low.

I'm looking to buy a Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL. The cheapest online price I can find is $279. Their price is $329, so 20% off that would be $263, so they would definitely not make much off that sale.

I would suspect that it will be the same for those other stores...
Yeah, I know the dude at Burnaby Hobbies......... he's a good guy.

I've seen the Traxxas 1/16 ones going for a bit less in other Asian places.

So you're into RC, cool.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #143
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
Quote:
Model building isn't as popular as it once was. Like I mentioned before somewhere, kids these days can't read, let alone follow directions from pictures. Oh well, shit happens.
I noticed this too, not too many new kits coming out in the car world. Discontinued, discontinued everywhere...
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #144
MG1

I hate that word, "Discontinued." Half of Tamiya's new catalog is full of "no longer available" kits.

Tamiya distributors like the Borg in Canada, Great Planes and Horizon down south. Frick!

Production runs are limited or something like that. Dealers can explain it, but to consumers like you and me, it doesn't mean squat. And you wonder why so many people are buying stuff from HK. I don't like to buy out of country, but when the stuff you want isn't available in your country, what else can you do?

Thank god for eBay.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #145

Apollo hobbies by production way (I think) sells lots of RC stuff. I got my Traxxas slayer there.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #146
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
And you wonder why so many people are buying stuff from HK. I don't like to buy out of country, but when the stuff you want isn't available in your country, what else can you do?

Thank god for eBay.
ebay's awesome for rc parts. most of the sellers i buy from are from hk or japan though, especially for tamiya hop ups.

have you tried tower hobbies? they're fairly decent with their promos especially if you group buy and ship to point roberts.
zonda_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #147
MG1

Funny thing you mention Tower Hobbies. Anything Tower Hobbies has and for whatever price, HobbyTown USA in Bellingham will match and bring in. So, no shipping charges and you pick up whenever you are down in Bellingham. They are just north of Bellis Fair.

BTW, Go Go Hobbies in Coquitlam orders stuff from the US distributors and pass the savings on to their customers. I'm not into RC, but it might be worth it for some of you to check them out.

I've had Go Go bring Tamiya craft tools and models in for me and the shit arrives within a week. No shipping costs, hassles, etc. The models I bought from them ended up cheaper than if I had purchased them from HK or Japan via eBay.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #148
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by materials View Post
Apollo hobbies by production way (I think) sells lots of RC stuff. I got my Traxxas slayer there.
The dude from Apollo sent me to Go Go Hobbies when I was looking for Tamiya paints. I think the two shops know each other. Dude knew I was a static model person, so he didn't mind sending me to Go Go. I'm glad I found Go Go Hobbies. Can't say enough good things about them.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #149

Damn, coquitlam is pretty far for me. What kind of stuff does Go Go hobbies carry?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #150
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Funny thing you mention Tower Hobbies. Anything Tower Hobbies has and for whatever price, HobbyTown USA in Bellingham will match and bring in. So, no shipping charges and you pick up whenever you are down in Bellingham. They are just north of Bellis Fair.

BTW, Go Go Hobbies in Coquitlam orders stuff from the US distributors and pass the savings on to their customers. I'm not into RC, but it might be worth it for some of you to check them out.

I've had Go Go bring Tamiya craft tools and models in for me and the shit arrives within a week. No shipping costs, hassles, etc. The models I bought from them ended up cheaper than if I had purchased them from HK or Japan via eBay.
thanks for the heads up! i go to coquitlam regularly so i'll definitely give Go Go a shot.
zonda_s is offline   Reply With Quote