REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources

Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources All Nissan & Infiniti Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
rust problem wit infinitis

any infiniti owners have rust problem with their car?

I'm quite disappointed with the paint job in general with my infiniti. It is barely 2 year old with about 27000km on it

first of all the paint is so soft, there is literally an avergae of 2 NEW paint chip per week. I can barely keep up with my touchup paint, not the mention i do not have the time nor the skill to do proper wetsanding -> touch up etc every week

second is the most concern to me. My almost 2 yr old car is showing little rust spot inside the door jam! some spot just looks like chip w/ surface rust but there is one where the paint it is bubbling up! there also seems to be rust between the door panel and the plastic weather stripping.

other than some fit and finish problem like the paint, seat some rattle etc, i love the rest of the car. The engine, the handling is superb for the price.

I've had toyota, land rover before and their paint job held up 4 yr of lease WITH abuse, i never baby my previous car due to its lease status.

but with this infiniti, i wash it as often as i can, i wax it, i clay bar it and it seems like its paint job deteriorating faster than any of the less expensive rides i had before.

It does something that infiniti has problem on? I'm thinking the paint on mine my be defect, i want to see if i will have a case with the dealership.

Guy with infiniti that are more than a few years old, any rust problems??????
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
any pictures of the rust at the door jam
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
that rust in the door jam may be from dirt and debris getting stuck in the weatherstripping at the bottom of the door and scratching the jam, clean it out, this is a common issue with Nissans/Infiniti's. You could also try putting a piece of scotch tape or clear bra in the jam/on the spot of rust, after you clean it, to help prevent further damage.

definitely take it in and complain because the paint should not be bubbling in places like u mention, regarding the rock chip i don't think they will do much.

Good Luck
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

The paint is bubble beside the rock chip in the first picture
yea does look like i scratch it and it rusted, i don't think the dealership is going to take my case.

I want to take care of the spots i have now and prevent more.

I've already dab a generous amount of touch up paint on both spot, would that be sufficient?

anybody know how much clearbraing the door jams will be?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Which model is it? Have you look at your warranty? It should be covered.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
here's a link on a Nissan forum i found I think it may be the same problem....and apparently Nissan is aware of the problem but has not released any fixes for it...
http://forums.nicoclub.com/dirt-unde...lit=door%20jam

ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

it seems in the past few years the paint on cars have gotten pretty shitty quality ive seen toyota tundra '09 hood just destroyed from daily commute to work on the highway!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yup Nissan is known for shitty paint jobs even on the 350z and G35 forums everyone knows it, that's one of the reasons I chose to repaint my whole car.

I personally if I ever saw a spec of rust on any of my panels would freak right the fuck out and go get that panel sanded, rust spots removed and re fckin painted !
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Which model is it? Have you look at your warranty? It should be covered.
its 09 fx35. has the "self healing" paint which i hate hate hate hate.

i was told that if there is any scratch/nick/chip like mine it won't be covered
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Nissan has always had shitty paint. Thats why id never buy a dark colored nissan/infiniti vehicle.

My dads G35 has no rust on it though, even underneath isnt too bad. definately rock chips on the front and it does seem to scratch fairly easy.