REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Most usefull air tools to have?

I've been looking around for a christmas present for my dad and figure i'd buck up this year and get him something good, he does all his own work on his 993 but his air tools are pretty lacking using shitty princess auto air gun, and he has no air hammer etc. a fairly limited air tool selection considering the other tools we have

so in general, what would be the best mid-high quality air tool/tools i can give him? and where are the good prices/selections?

i'm leaning towards a new gun, or maybe even a high precision torque wrench, but im torn on what to buy, and dont really want to ask him because id like it to be a surprise, any recommendations?
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The most important tool to have, at least from the POV of someone who works on cars, is a very good 1/2" impact gun. My suggestion for brand is Ingersoll Rand, but expect to pay between $75 and $300, depending on features.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

I'd recommend getting him a Blue Point impact gun. Same company as Snap-On but not as expensive. I've had mine for 6-7 years now and still works like a charm. Just got to make sure to use some pneumatic tool oil to keep everything lubed up. Another useful tool is a 3/8 air ratchet.

Hope that helps.
jungle168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Circle Stick Square Mod

1/2 impact or 3/8 air ratchet. depends on what he does,

does he like taking off big bolts?
take off lots of small stuff?

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The most important tool to have, at least from the POV of someone who works on cars, is a very good 1/2" impact gun. My suggestion for brand is Ingersoll Rand, but expect to pay between $75 and $300, depending on features.
Exactly what I would have recommended.
Those are probably the best guns I've used.

Other things to consider, hoses, and quick fittings. The small stuff can really help with making a job go faster.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I use IR Ti impact wrench.. KMS usually have the high end IR at substantial discount a few times a year, I think the one I have was originally $500 and it was on sale for $300.. Though I don't think you will find a IR for under $200 and they go all the way up to $500. Another brand you can consider is Chicago (I just find IR lighter and quieter), I think Chicago can stand more abuse than IR. In the end it really depends on how often you use the tools. Most of the time I don't use impact tools on wheels etc, just because it easy mars the finishing on wheels, even with impact sockets w/ silicone sleeves.

For air tools, I find 90 degree tools like drills, sabre saws etc more useful, since it is hard to find an electric analog, especially in close quarters. eg I used a 90 drill / angle grinder to drill out a stuck sensor etc. Also you have to check what is the CFM of the compressor. I don't find air impact wrench all that useful for home mechanic unless you are in a real hurry, tearing down engines or have a paint shop. I still think if you can't budge a part using a breaker bar (I have a 5 feet long one), an impact wrench won't help you much (In my experiences it usually makes matter worse).. Besides in all likelihood, you are approaching the problem wrong.

I would say if your father doesn't have a torque wrench, get him a Proto one from KMS. It should set you back about $250 or so but well worth it. I would get a 1/2 drive and a 1/4 one with appropriate extension bars. A good alternative would be a Gearwrench digital ones. I used to use a Proto digital one, but the battery died and it was a bit pain in the ass to replace. But digital ones are neat because it will tell you how much torque you are applying in real time. I highly suggest getting 1/2 and 1/4 together because then you cover the whole range that anyone would need, engine / suspension / wheels usually need the range in the 1/2 and interior/window/electrical needs the range available to the 1/4.

Chances are your father have limited range of air tools because there is just no need for it.

Last edited by godwin; 11-18-2010 at 03:37 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
^ love my Proto 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Oh I forgot, if you going to spend money on the Proto tools at KMS always get to know the salesperson and ask to see if you can get more discount especially if you get a 1/2 and 1/4 combo. I find getting to know the sales etc at KMS helps, since they thrive on repeat businesses.. and the sales know about their area more than any other place I know.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #9

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Tigger View Post
1/2 impact or 3/8 air ratchet. depends on what he does,

does he like taking off big bolts?
take off lots of small stuff?
Does alot of both really, he does alot of suspension work but also alot of small engine and drivetrain work as well
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Your actually considered an air hammer for a 993 eh? Whats this guy do build his own bodykits? That'd be a pretty good present for arash.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Then get definately get your dad a 1/2 impact and a 3/8 air ratchet

that would be the best bet

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #12