REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #8076
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
So many freaking potholes on the streets now since the snow is gone
Advertisement
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #8077
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
the small stretch on cambie and broadway is pot hole city.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #8078
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Not to mention a lot of them are crater sized
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:26 PM   #8079
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Knight St is bad too

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:00 AM   #8080
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
There's so much black ice everywhere, be safe everyone. Just slid everywhere in Coquitlam at 1 AM
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #8081
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya side streets up near como lake area where an ice rink this morning
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #8082
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Metro Vancouver potholes range in severity after cold snap

whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #8083

It isn't just the street that is getting fxxked with potholes from this winter's string of freeze-thaw temperatures. My driveway also got fxxked hard as well...
Old 01-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #8084
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...oval-1.6309767

Quote:
From snails to snow: Why homeowners aren't liable for slips on icy sidewalks (BC)

If you're crafting a legal strategy to ruin the homeowner whose unshovelled sidewalk led to your broken limb during B.C.'s latest snowmageddon, spare a thought for Darwin Der.

The Burnaby man went all the way to B.C.'s Court of Appeal with a lawsuit against a couple he blamed for his slip on the pavement out front of their house — only to have the province's top court issue the final word last year on a classic Canadian legal conundrum.

The appeal court judges found once and for all that property owners do not owe a "general duty of care to take reasonable care with respect to the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks adjacent to their property."

It was a decision grounded in precedent established by wounded pedestrians from coast to coast to coast — one that harkens back to a question that has plagued judges for decades: What exactly does being a good neighbour mean?

"Ninety years ago, our law became that one has a duty to look after their neighbour," says Ryan Dalziel, the lawyer who handled Der's challenge.

"When it comes to compliance with safety-based bylaws for clearing sidewalks in front of your home, I say with all due respect to courts, judges and others of a different view, what is this if not taking care for one's neighbour?"

Der and his wife were walking home from a grocery store with a dozen eggs on Dec. 21, 2017, when the then-76-year-old slipped on the corner of the sidewalk outside of a home belonging to Ang Zhao and Quanqiu Huang.

According to an affidavit, Der's feet slid out from underneath him.

"When I regained some level of awareness, I could feel pain in my shoulder, neck and back, and I could not move," the affidavit said.

Zhao and Huang moved into the home in front of the sidewalk on the day Der fell.

Zhao said he had shovelled the sidewalk in previous days in order to comply with the city's bylaws. And Huang claimed she salted the sidewalk in the morning to make it safer for the movers.

An accident reconstruction expert said the Lower Mainland cycle of freezing and thawing that followed likely left the pavement vulnerable to the kind of melting that later leads to black ice.

Der claimed the couple should have foreseen that the weather might turn the bare sidewalk into a skating rink.

The judge who heard the case in the lower court rejected Der's argument, pointing out that finding homeowners liable for injuries suffered because they did their civic duty the wrong way would mean "property owners would have an incentive not to make any efforts to comply with snow removal bylaws."

In his appeal, Der argued that property owners should have a duty of care to the people walking past their homes.

Although dozens of judges have considered similar situations, the B.C. Appeal Court became the first to conduct a legal test specifically designed to test the limits of legal responsibility between individuals.

The ruling cites the so-called neighbour principle established in 1932 by the British House of Lords in what's widely known as the "snail in the bottle case" — because it began with a Scottish woman who sued when she was shocked and sickened after finding a decomposed snail at the bottom of her bottle of ginger beer.

"You must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which you can reasonably foresee would be likely to injure your neighbour," Lord James Atkin said at the time.

"Who, then, in law, is my neighbour? The answer seems to be persons who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought reasonably to have them in contemplation as being affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called in question."

The B.C. Appeal Court judges found no reason to fault the widely cited logic of a judge who considered the "neighbour principle" in relation to snow clearing in 2000 in the case of a woman who fell on a sidewalk north of Toronto.

"It would stretch it too far if it was applied in the circumstances of this case. A homeowner has a duty to ensure that his or her own property is maintained in a reasonable condition so that persons entering the property are not injured," the judge in that case said.

"The snow and ice accumulating on public sidewalks and the potholes on the street in front of the house are the legal responsibility of the municipality, not the adjacent property owner."

Courts have found exceptions involving business owners who fail to clear a portion of the sidewalk that they effectively use as a corridor to usher customers into their stores.

In that situation, the business becomes an occupier of the public space.

In 2017, Ontario's Court of Appeal found Starbucks liable for a slice of pavement directly adjacent to a patio entrance.

But B.C.'s Appeal Court judges found "the relationship between a pedestrian and residential property owner is not sufficiently close and direct to make it just and fair to impose a duty of care."

They found that homeowners are not like managers of cafes or restaurants who actively court customers to walk the sidewalks leading into their businesses.

The case was not appealed — meaning the nation's top court, the Supreme Court of Canada, will not have the chance to weigh in.

Last edited by Presto; 01-10-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Copypasta fail
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #8085
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
^ Painful read. Not sure why the paragraphs and quotes in the article were repeated like three times in that.

So, what I gather from that is that you won't be liable if someone (random) slips and falls on the sidewalks. But, still open to interpretation if your actual next door neighbour slips and falls and sues.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #8086
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
^ Painful read. Not sure why the paragraphs and quotes in the article were repeated like three times in that.

So, what I gather from that is that you won't be liable if someone (random) slips and falls on the sidewalks. But, still open to interpretation if your actual next door neighbour slips and falls and sues.
Sorry.. That was a hard fail. I think I fixed it.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #8087
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
So many freaking potholes on the streets now since the snow is gone
lol, after the first snowfall, this same huge pothole keeps reopening up every winter. The city was quick to patch it up, but then after the 2nd snowfall, the repair broke off and now the pothole is back.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:57 AM   #8088
Banned (ABWS)?

Damn... Now that the snow has melt, I realized all the areas in my driveway that I put salt on is damaged. The top surface chipped and crumbled off into tiny little pieces..
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #8089

I don't think you can blame the damage on the salt -- it's just the repeated freeze-thaw cycles, and how water has seeped in that caused the damage.

In addition to the cracks that have developed / worsened, I also have a few places on my driveway where the surface crumbled. Any idea what kind of ball park figure we're looking at to get a driveway repaved? It's roughly 2 cars wide and 1-1/2 car lengths long.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #8090
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I don't think you can blame the damage on the salt -- it's just the repeated freeze-thaw cycles, and how water has seeped in that caused the damage.

In addition to the cracks that have developed / worsened, I also have a few places on my driveway where the surface crumbled. Any idea what kind of ball park figure we're looking at to get a driveway repaved? It's roughly 2 cars wide and 1-1/2 car lengths long.
there is very little freeze-thaw cycles if you don't use salt, if its -1 outside, the ground is frozen and will stay frozen till it melts but if your melting it with salt, then its gonna freeze-thaw more often
Old 01-13-2022, 02:22 AM   #8091
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

It's the salt because I "strategically" poured salt like a path in areas on my driveway and walk ways that I know I will be using to access my garbage cans and other areas. And that's literally where all the damage is and only in those locations.

Unless I misunderstood your post and you're talking about it scientifically like it's not technically the salt, but the freeze cycles, etc, etc.

I'm just saying, it's my own dumbassness that ruined my driveway by using the salt, and could have been 100% avoidable...

That being said, it's not my first time using salt. Ironically, the front walkway and sidewalks are fine. The driveway in the back and walkways at the side of my house must use a different kind of concrete.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #8092
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
It's the salt because I "strategically" poured salt like a path in areas on my driveway and walk ways that I know I will be using to access my garbage cans and other areas. And that's literally where all the damage is and only in those locations.

Unless I misunderstood your post and you're talking about it scientifically like it's not technically the salt, but the freeze cycles, etc, etc.

I'm just saying, it's my own dumbassness that ruined my driveway by using the salt, and could have been 100% avoidable...

That being said, it's not my first time using salt. Ironically, the front walkway and sidewalks are fine. The driveway in the back and walkways at the side of my house must use a different kind of concrete.
Here's a scientific answer (I work with concrete).

Freeze/thaw cycles attack concrete because the water seeps in, and expands when it freezes, pushing out the concrete. You avoid this by using "air" in the concrete so water has room to expand into the pre-existing voids. Generally freeze/thaw damage will have larger chunks and deeper cracks.

Cements that are used in concrete have different ratings, including resistance to deicing chemicals and freeze/thaw (although there are lots of other factors at play). The salt will attack the surface of the concrete, and will produce what you're describing (flaking, or spalling).

Once the damage is done there's not much you can do, there are repair mortars you can patch on top but unless you prep the surface well and put in the effort, it'll just come off again next season.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #8093
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Salt on sidewalk. Yes.

Salt on my driveway. Not even once.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #8094
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Here's a scientific answer (I work with concrete).

Freeze/thaw cycles attack concrete because the water seeps in, and expands when it freezes, pushing out the concrete. You avoid this by using "air" in the concrete so water has room to expand into the pre-existing voids. Generally freeze/thaw damage will have larger chunks and deeper cracks.

Cements that are used in concrete have different ratings, including resistance to deicing chemicals and freeze/thaw (although there are lots of other factors at play). The salt will attack the surface of the concrete, and will produce what you're describing (flaking, or spalling).

Once the damage is done there's not much you can do, there are repair mortars you can patch on top but unless you prep the surface well and put in the effort, it'll just come off again next season.
Yeah, I know why it happened... lol. I wasn't really asking for scientific reasoning. I was just confused why it was mentioned earlier that salt wasn't to be blamed.
My post was just simply about finding out the salt I used damaged my concrete after the snow melt, and I know it's the salt because only the areas that I put salt on were damaged.

I'll try to patch it up in the summer.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 PM   #8095
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
Salt on sidewalk. Yes.

Salt on my driveway. Not even once.
Salt is awful for driveways and vehicles. With a very steep aggregate concrete driveway, growing up in Kamloops, we never used salt. A strict routine was kept to ensure the best traction without eating the driveway with salt.

1. No driving/walking on it until everything was done. Even parking on the street until it was finished, in order to avoid compacting snow.
2. Shovel side to side rather than down, so any remaining snow is grooved perpendicular for better grip.
3. Sweep whatever is left after shoveling with a straw broom to get snow the shovel can't pick up, or any footprints.
4. Give a good sprinkling of kitty litter on the areas most likely to be driven or walked on.

If you stay on top of it, you never have ice or compact snow.

The snow piles at the bottom were great for making forts and tunneling, but my parents were right to tell me not to play in them, because cars could slide and crash into them. I did it anyways.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #8096
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post

1. No driving/walking on it until everything was done. Even parking on the street until it was finished, in order to avoid compacting snow.
2. Shovel side to side rather than down, so any remaining snow is grooved perpendicular for better grip.
3. Sweep whatever is left after shoveling with a straw broom to get snow the shovel can't pick up, or any footprints.
4. Give a good sprinkling of kitty litter on the areas most likely to be driven or walked on.
Have a super hilly driveway and can confirm this is so important.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #8097
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post

Only to ppl that are expected to come to your home, so that means your driveway/path to your door has to be shovelled and even then your duty is only to those who you know will be coming to your home (friends family delivery men etc)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #8098
My homepage has been set to RS

Toronto boy goes viral after hilarious reaction to shovelling

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumansBeing..._news_tonight/
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #8099
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danned View Post
Toronto boy goes viral after hilarious reaction to shovelling

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumansBeing..._news_tonight/
The best part is where they normally put their profession/info about them they just put exhausted

A follow up report made it show:

Then the plate under his mom during the interview:

Last edited by Oshiguru; 01-20-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #8100
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiguru View Post
The best part is where they normally put their profession/info about them they just put exhausted

A follow up report made it show:

Then the plate under his mom during the interview:
Pretty much sums up Gen Alpha. lol
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote