REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Drive Better!

There is such an incredible shortage of common sense about the practicalities of driving, as well as so many people who seem unable to think clearly any more. You cannot get people to drive better just by saying "drive better". I think the problem of poor driving habits and some of the emotional and health issues (fatigue, stress, aggression, time shortage) behind bad driving are more a social problem.

This reader's observations are something that I have often commented on. Many drivers seem to be saying "I'm important, you are not. I'm in a hurry, get out of my way" when they are behind the wheel. Hiding in their steel cocoon, they are anonymous and to some extent is everyone else present on the highway. Perhaps because we don't know each other and probably won't ever meet face to face, we don't have to extend social courtesies to each other.

Other drivers like you when you conform to their concept of proper driving, whether they are correct about what is proper or not. Witness a long line of cars that have merged into one lane well before an adjacent lane is closed due to construction. There is nothing unlawful with using the lane that is going to be closed until the point where it is actually closed. Try it. Drivers will move to block you, open their doors to prevent you passing and wave in a very unfriendly manner. They are waiting, you should too, another social faux pas.

How do we change the social outlook of a driver? As a police officer I had only education and enforcement to use in conjunction with the Ministry of Transportation's engineering solutions. It was not a simple task and I often wondered if I was making a difference at all. I hope so.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It's a shame many people have lost the virtue of extending courtesy to those they don't know. If the lanes are merging and someone comes in late, is losing 20s of your life worth giving some random guy a middle finger?

Same reason why I hold doors open for people behind me.

Honestly I've never understood why people rage when behind the wheel. You'll never see the guy who just cut you off again anyways. Who cares?

With that said, I hope that cops spend more time ticketing drivers who weave around and fail to signal instead of those who go 30 km/h over on the highway or do California rolls through empty 4-way stops. That's the problem with current laws imho. I know people who do complete stops all the time but can't even stay inside his/her own lane.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote