REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Accident with 4 season tires

My friend had an accident 2 days ago a car was heading south on Oak, on yellow/ red light 2 lanes out of 3 stopped but the third lane my frd car slid alittle on the thin snow and rammed to the car that is turning on supposively RED. ICBC putting 100% my frd wrong that's still being determined. 4 season tires with 70% thread left (friend car) and a brand new RAM truck turning which also a 4 season tire. They said turning is already 100% guaranteed but said that due to the condition in snow and 70% tire thread on 4 season now saying 100% frd mistake but wouldnt it be 50-50 or the other person fault who is turning not checking if other cars coming not sure but any ideas how to resolve in 50-50 or 100% benefits?
Advertisement
Pokemon997 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
SardaukarMod

Quote:
My friend had an accident 2 days ago a car was heading south on Oak, on yellow/ red light 2 lanes out of 3 stopped but the third lane my frd car slid alittle on the thin snow and rammed to the car that is turning on supposively RED. ICBC putting 100% my frd wrong that's still being determined. 4 season tires with 70% thread left (friend car) and a brand new RAM truck turning which also a 4 season tire. They said turning is already 100% guaranteed but said that due to the condition in snow and 70% tire thread on 4 season now saying 100% frd mistake but wouldnt it be 50-50 or the other person fault who is turning not checking if other cars coming not sure but any ideas how to resolve in 50-50 or 100% benefits?
i can't even make heads or tails what exactly happened from your post.

all i got was that your friend, going south on Oak, hit a truck that was turning on a red light.

which direction was the truck headed? was it turning left or right?
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
In general when it comes to snow, if a car slides into the intersection while trying to come to a red light, they'll be deemed at fault regardless because they were driving 1) too fast for the conditions, and, 2) had improper tires for the conditions.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I couldn't really make out what you were trying to say either..

It sounds like you gunned it to make it through a red, hit a truck that got stuck in the intersection and your looking for a way to stick it on the truck. Left turns are normally 100% liability to the driver turning, but if its red or yellow I think it becomes the one running the lights fault.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
im guessing the truck was turning left. if it was turning right, i don't think both of them would have hit.

i would certainly have to agree with Lomac. the only thing that may give your friend a chance is if the truck was running the red light to make the left. IF the truck was already in the intersection waiting, i will say your friend will be at fault here.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I'm thinking in this case, the snow and the all-season tires don't really make a difference to the outcome.

It's no different than if it was dry out and your friend ran a red light and hit the person turning left.

So whatever fault gets applied to that case should get applied to the case at hand.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Yellow light means to come to a stop and not floor it to beat the red light.
If the truck was already in position to make the left, then its his lane. If the truck was not in the intersection when the light turned yellow, then i would assume it would be 50-50.
You have witness to provide if the truck was in position at the time of yellow?

I also have to agree with Lomac
Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

the all season tires have nothing to do with it. Under estimating weather conditions and driving too fast for current road conditions holds the driver most likely 100% at fault if he did not safely and legally come to a complete stop. If he ran a yellow, i believe you need to be within 1-2 car lengths for it to be a legal point-of-no-return. Legally the right of way is given to the driver making the left hand turn at the intersection. The truck driver obviously assumed the other driver had enough distance to come to a complete stop before the yellow to red. If the driver sped up to make it through the light- weather + road conditions + speed + distance =100% at fault

Last edited by jbsali; 11-22-2010 at 02:21 AM.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
I think u guys aren't understandin the situation correctly.

From what I gathered, ops friend slid into the intersection under a yellow/red because he couldn't stop due to allseasons on snow. What the ops friend hit was a dodge truck who was goin the opposite direction and turning left, also under yellow/red.

So now op is askin who's at fault
And no ops friend wasn't trying to gun a yellow, he simply couldn't stop.

That's what I can gather
Posted via RS Mobile
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

So many interpretations of what happened! Perhaps the OP can provide us with the necessary punctuation to help clarify..

Also, just out of curiosity, what car was your friend driving?
VancouverG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Since sentence structure and grammar elude the OP, he should just draw us a diagram. I think it comes down to whether the truck was already in the intersection at light change.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
draw a damn diagram

Under normal weather conditions, if the truck was turning left from the oncoming traffic and your friend entered the intersection while it was still yellow (before red) then the truck should be 100% at fault. So did you friend enter the intersection before red or just right after it turned? I'm not familar how they would change the allocation of liability under winter weather conditions.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

From what I can decipher from your post. It looks like your frd, (why is it so hard for FOBs to type 'friend'?) is 100% at fault. You say it was 3 lanes coming to the intersection on Oak street, and the first 2 lanes were able to stop for the red light. Your friend was in the 3rd lane and was unable to stop for the red light, thus slid into the intersection and hit a truck who was making a left turn. The truck probably started with his left turn because the cars in the first 2 lanes came to a complete stop.

So cars in the first 2 lanes, which i'm guessing are the left and middle lane, are able to stop but you friend in the 3rd (right lane) is not. Sounds like your friend did not give himself enough time to stop and was going to fast (since he was probably in the right lane and everyone flys on the right lane down Oak) and did not consider the winter conditions while the other drivers in the other lanes were able to.

100% at fault. Insurance rates up. Slow down next time, Frd.

Last edited by adambomb; 11-22-2010 at 09:43 AM.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
From what the OP wrote, how could you expect anyone to understand the situation correctly?

[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverG88 View Post
Also, just out of curiosity, what car was your friend driving?
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

From the verbal diarrhea OP gave us that made little to no sense, i think what he is trying to say is..

His friend was going straight in snow, yellow/red light flashes on him
.. then Truck going oposite way turns left on the yellow/red
.. then His friend couldnt slow down in time and ramed the truck

Under normal situations with no snow other car would prob be at fault, duno why ICBC said your friend was 100% at fault most likely cause of some wierd rules they make when snow is in play
TOPoftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
Banned (BBM)

JIGGA WHAT
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon997 View Post
My friend had an accident two days ago, a truck(dodge RAM), was stopped in the intersection facing South on Oak waiting to turn on a yellow/red light. Two of the three lanes facing North stopped, unfortunately my friend, who was in the third lane could not stop in time as the light had turned red. This was due to the fact that he had all season tires with seventy-percent tread life left, in icy road conditions, which in-turn caused him to skid into the intersection.
The next part can be interpreted differently...
They(ICBC?) said that the person turning(dodge RAM) would have been 100% at fault because he failed to yield to oncoming traffic, but because his friend only had all season tires with 70% tread, in icy winter conditions he is now 100% at fault; because due to improper tires he was unable to stop in time, causing the accident. OP and friend believe the fault should be distributed 50-50 since they believe the truck turning is partially to blame for failure to yield, and his friend is partially to blame for having improper tires for the conditions present.

This is what I made out of that gibberish, feel free to add/change anything.

read this thread OP http://www.revscene.net/forums/accid...r-t630727.html
ps. here comes the surcharge, prepare to get raped
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
OP and friend believe the fault should be distributed 50-50 since they believe the truck turning is partially to blame for failure to yield, and his friend is partially to blame for having improper tires for the conditions present.
This is what I got out of it too.

The truck does have to yield, it cannot just turn infront of someone running a red and expect not to be to blame - yet I suspect the OP's friend is screwed, going too fast in the right lane, while the other 2 lanes stopped - it would be hard for any left turner to expect to reasonably avoid this. Plus the cars that stopped were probably on all-season tires too, since the majority of cars have all-seasons - so it comes down to the OP's friend was too fast/too inexperienced for the conditions and will be 100% at fault.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Ninja couldn't stop.
Ninja wrong.
Ninja needs Winter Tires.
Ninja gon' Get raped by ICBC
Ninja should probably learn how to drive
Ninja shouldn't drive without Winter Tires on.

So basically.
You can spin it anyway you want.
But fact is, you couldn't stop on all seasons. Meaning, you're at fault.
Unless you can prove that he turned without yeilding, but it was a yellow and you said you couldn't stop. So you basically lose.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Your friend is 100% at fault for crossing the intersection on a Red. Cars are allowed to make left turns on a Red light as long as their tires were in the intersection when the light was still green. Your friend definately crossed into the intersection on amber / Red which he shouldn't have. If he slid into the intersection, then he was going too fast for conditions and it doesn't really have much to do with the tires (although wintertires might have saved him). It's okay... back to 0% insurance discount if he's not a goldstar driver!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

revscene should do have mandatory TOEFL test for new members. i got a headache reading that shit.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post

From what I gathered, ops friend slid into the intersection under a yellow/red because he couldn't stop due to allseasons on snow. What the ops friend hit was a dodge truck who was goin the opposite direction and turning left, also under yellow/red.

So now op is askin who's at fault
And no ops friend wasn't trying to gun a yellow, he simply couldn't stop.
That's what I can gather
Posted via RS Mobile
/thread. IF this is what happened, then no need to ask who's at fault.

there's too many interpretations to this accident. nonetheless, it's an unfortunate situation, the money could have been spent on winter tires and English class. i had the hardest time trying to read the original post, if you're going to ask for help, at least sound intelligent so our help doesn't seem like it's going to waste.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Hey OP,

Would it make your friend feel better if ICBC told him it was 50/50? Cause even at 50/50 he's going to take the same hit on his premiums.

So in the end, does it really matter? Tell him to get some snow tires and drive properly.

The End

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It doesn't matter whether it was snowing, hurricane, flooded, tornado. If you hit another car when you do not have the right of way, you are 100% at fault.

Judging from your English, you might need a translator when you meet with the adjuster.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote