REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   I may have done something rash (https://www.revscene.net/forums/631030-i-may-have-done-something-rash.html)

becks7 11-23-2010 01:13 AM

I may have done something rash

So after getting a excellent job that I love, and pays well, and driving for years, and waiting till I thought it was time, I got a 2007 R6. I rode dirt bikes and things when I was young, but haven't in years.

I recently found this place, and just saw there is a section for bikes, and what do I find when I click it? noobs getting told there road kill for getting a R6 for there first bike, well that worries me somewhat....but wait a second, thats not gonna be me, right? I hope so

I'm 24 now, have been driving (without any fenderbenders, dings, mishaps) for years now, am at a point when someone cuts me of, or rockets past me that I don't care, "yall just go on ahead now, and take the ticket, thanks"

I also WILL be taking a class, or two at this Pacific riding school before I start going out on my bike. I'm getting the best gear I can, I didn't pick my helmet, GF got it for me so that one is already done, its a HJC...I was going to get a little better.

No should I be worried?

I'm not the type to speed, and it I do its like 10 over the max for not long, I know if wouldn't happen on the bike, until I am more then comfortable on the bike, and have heard enough times that I am riding pretty well( not pretty well for how long I have been riding)

Just looking to get some other peoples thoughts,
Thanks.

bcrdukes 11-23-2010 04:34 AM

Hi, and welcome to the Sportbike Forum. :)

To quickly answer your questions:

1. Should you be worried? No. You've taken the first step to becoming a responsible rider (we hope at least) by taking a course with PRS. Many of us on the forum were former students and still ride to this very day.

2. Don't sweat that bike you picked up. The R6 is an excellent bike. When you take your course, you'll start out on a 250cc bike but make sure you tell your instructors what kind of bike you have. If they are confident in your riding abilities, they will put you up on a bigger bike.

3. The helmet - Make sure it fits you properly. Not all manufacturers are sized the same nor are their fitment designs. This will be talked about in your class at PRS.

Although this was brief, there will be more members with more experience and wisdom who will chime in. Congrats and welcome again! :)

InvisibleSoul 11-23-2010 08:45 AM

Probably the most important factor in determining whether you'll be okay or not isn't the size of your bike, but your attitude in riding it. It sounds like you're mature and will make good decisions, so you'll probably be fine.

taylor192 11-23-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becks7 (Post 7199096)
I rode dirt bikes and things when I was young, but haven't in years.

That's where I was when I picked up my SV650. While not nearly as fast as your R6, it is still much more bike than the 250s many recommend and I didn't have any issues other than the increased weight and wider turning radius vs my dirt bikes that I could spin around quickly.

I think the only issue you'll have is going from a more upright ride on dirt bikes to leaned over on the R6. You've probably driven a dirt bike harder than you'll drive the R6 :D or at least that's been my case. :p I feel like a wimp on the road compared to the crap I used to pull off road.

becks7 11-23-2010 10:13 AM

The helmet fits real good, good and tight, but not to tight, when its on my head I can shake as hard as I can and it doesn't flop around, but its not tight feeling on my head.

stevo911_ 11-23-2010 10:45 AM

^thats the most important feature of a helmet
The difference in protection between an $1100 shoei and a $250 HJC is extremely marginal at best, you're paying for a more plush liner, higher quality graphics/paint, perhaps a little bit quieter (though my HJC FS-15 is quieter than my Suomy Spec1R), etc... (My HJC FS-15 carbon is by far my fave of the helmets I've owned). You just dont want slop (side to side or up and down) and you want it comfy so it isnt distracting you.

Lots of people start on bikes like that, granted it isnt the best idea IMO, just make sure you leave yourself a big safety buffer in traffic and ride well within your limits. The problem with the supersport bikes like that is when something could potentially go wrong the bike makes it nice and easy for the rider to compound the problem.

tool001 11-23-2010 12:59 PM

respect the bike, and the bike will respect u back.. proper gear and ride like u learn in school, not how every other jack ass rides thru traffic

racerman88 11-23-2010 06:36 PM

welcome. Riding dirt bikes is very different from sport bikes. The R6 is pretty aggressive in seat positioning. Definitely take the course at PRS.
Ride responsibly and do not succumb to peer pressure.

becks7 11-23-2010 07:40 PM

Thanks guys.

I went to modern today, asked a bunch of questions, and an hour later I walked with a nice pair of alpinestar gloves, some icon kevler lines jeans, and a new pair of puma boots, witch fit shockingly well, and I already have a jacket so I'm pretty happy about it. The guy worked my a pretty good deal, so I'm feeling better now.
Posted via RS Mobile

impactX 11-24-2010 09:13 PM

Congrats!

Keep that attitude and you will definitely survive on the roads. Having 8 years of driving experience will definitely help as well.

alex.w *// 11-24-2010 10:07 PM

just make sure that you think you are invisible out there

norph 11-25-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.w *// (Post 7202250)
just make sure that you think you are invisible out there

This sounds a little off, but I think I can re-word that for you. What he means is that you ride like no one sees you. So plan for the worse possible scenarios everytime you encounter other road users.

//RacingSpirit>> 11-25-2010 08:19 PM

With most modern sport bikes (600cc's), they are pretty tame at under 7000rpm. When you hit 10,000rpm or more, the bike really wakes up and can scare you if you are not prepared for the change in power.

becks7 11-25-2010 08:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys, this is gold, please keep it commin.
Posted via RS Mobile

becks7 11-25-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by //RacingSpirit>> (Post 7203655)
With most modern sport bikes (600cc's), they are pretty tame at under 7000rpm. When you hit 10,000rpm or more, the bike really wakes up and can scare you if you are not prepared for the change in power.

How big of a boost will it be, anything like stomping the gas in a M3?
And will it try wo wheelie on me? I want to stay away from any chance of that happening
Posted via RS Mobile

//RacingSpirit>> 11-26-2010 02:25 AM

If you ride within city limits (approx 60km/h), it's pretty hard to rev past 10,000rpm. Just make sure you accelerate smoothly and not hammer down on the throttle and you'll be fine. Even though your bike revs to approx 15,000rpm, you'll never hit that in the city without risking getting your bike impounded. As for how much of a change in power past 7000rpm.....it's quite different. The bike really wakes up, and the rate of acceleration will make your heart pound if you are not used to it. Even shifting at 5-6000rpm, you'll be faster than pretty much any car on the road.

taylor192 11-26-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becks7 (Post 7203671)

These bikes are about twice as fast.

Quote:

And will it try wo wheelie on me? I want to stay away from any chance of that happening

You'll be leaned over and they have less low end torque, so not too likely... yet they rev easy so it is not hard with a flick of the wrist. My brother's GSXR went from tame <5K to holy fuck >5K really quickly.

Jermyzy 11-26-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by //RacingSpirit>> (Post 7203655)

Yay for v-twin and linear power :)

becks7 11-26-2010 12:42 PM

Alright, this is great, thanks guys.

Hope im gonna get to go ut and maybe see how some of you guys ride when it gets nice.

tegz 12-01-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

hehehhhh!

the power curve on the R6 is pretty steep, you're in for a ride :thumbsup:

becks7 12-02-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 7210970)
hehehhhh!

the power curve on the R6 is pretty steep, you're in for a ride :thumbsup:

Dang, well I guess all I can do it take it slow, respect the bike, and don't do anything I don't feel comfortable with, and just go from there.

What do you ride?

CharlieH 12-02-2010 12:48 AM

congrats man, the r6 is a sexy bike. i can't wait until riding season starts again haha.

Glaedr 12-02-2010 10:06 PM

^ +1

Cota4RT 12-03-2010 03:20 PM

No and Yes

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

You do realize you bought a bike that will easy pull 80 mph in 2nd. gear, don't you ?
Should have no problem keeping the front wheel planted in 5th and 6th.
:eek2:

becks7 12-03-2010 04:29 PM

Ya I know, I have always been a buy something that I can grow into kinda guy.
Posted via RS Mobile