REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Don't Block the Intersection

This reader's suggestion came in the form of a rant. He was upset at drivers who were stuck in the intersection when the light turns red because traffic on the other side of the intersection was already stopped, leaving no room to exit. Blocking traffic on the cross street was ignorant and those drivers needed to take a look at how they disregard the rules of the road.

He's correct, you should not enter an intersection on the green light unless you can clear it if the light turns red. It is illegal to stop, stand or park in an intersection in British Columbia unless you are avoiding conflict with traffic, complying with the law or obeying the directions of a peace officer.

We were taught the Smith System of driving during recruit training in Regina. One of the rules, aim high in steering, taught that the farther down the road you see while driving (and it's talking about seeing, not just looking), the less likely you are to have a collision. Or, in a case like this, the less likely you are to be caught blocking an intersection when the lights change.

Yes, if you do this, you probably save a few seconds at the expense of everyone else but how do you feel when you are in a hurry and someone does it to you? What if an ambulance or fire truck need to get through? Your convenience should not override everyone else's.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

What I love the most... is when I've stopped at the line, because there isn't room for me across the intersection... And that 'ignorant driver' behind me is leaning on their horn trying to get me to go... when there is nowhere to go.

So one time, I bowed to pressure and I went... then we were both stuck in the intersection (me on the crosswalk, him in cross-traffic), so I turned my head and yelled at him (convertible top down, so he can see me and everyone around could hear me yell) "is that what you wanted? yeah! thanks for honking you jerk off!! Now everyone's day is ruined because of you!!"

Everyone got a good laugh... except those drivers trying to get around him... who were now honking.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I see this stuff happen at damn near every intersection I'm at, extremely frustrating, it's basically people pushing pushing trying to squeeze through the very last second, it doesn't work like that idiot! you're causing a hazard to everyone around you because you were in some kind of rush because your time is more important than everyone elses because obviously you're better than us all.

Although to be fair occasionally it's the person running the extremely late yellow even red light that causes people to get stuck like that.

Last edited by G-spec; 11-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

people should start getting ticketed for this... even seen transit buses do this..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
in NY they have a law called "DON"T BLOCK THE BOX" where they have a huge, box on the intersection ...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
in NY they have a law called "DON"T BLOCK THE BOX" where they have a huge, box on the intersection ...
this is exactly what we need here...

Maybe the bike cops that sit at robson and burrard could actually do something to facilitate the movement of traffic by enforcing something like this instead of protecting us from the evil perils of tint and no front plate violators...

This would help traffic movement in vancouver without doubt... so many people think their time is more important than the next guy and are willing to sit in the middle of the intersection... pair this with more advanced greens on corners where there is a lot of foot traffic and we might have some smooth flow in this city (until they add more useless bike lanes that restrict where traffic can go...)

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

I can't for the life of me think of why people would enter an intersection if itsn't clear on the other side.

This is a prime example of sloppy driving that should receive more enforcement than minor speeding offenses. This and not turning into the closest lane.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I can't for the life of me think of why people would enter an intersection if itsn't clear on the other side.

This is a prime example of sloppy driving that should receive more enforcement than minor speeding offenses. This and not turning into the closest lane.
sometimes it is needed... sometimes at intersections I have waited over 3 lights not moving because of poor design. IE. cross light is green, 10 people turn left into my lane in the ahead block, filling up next block. my light goes green. I can't go. cross light goes green, and so does the block ahead. 10 new cars turn left. my green, still can't go because new cars blocking ahead.

sooner or later after 3-4 lights, when 30-40 cars have turned infront of you, and I haven't moved. you gota go.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote