REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
js
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Aftermarket deck installation, NEED HELP

So a buddy of mine introduced his friend who needs a aftermarket deck installed.
I've done many installation on decks before and they've all turned out fine. Pretty simple task, so i took on the job.

What happened was.....
Noobie mistake, didn't disconnect the battery which blew a couple of fuses.
Happened before, no biggy, replaced the fuses and the car was 100%

So it happened again on this installation. Sunroof, power windows and alarm stopped working.
Next day I picked up a couple of fuses, threw the deck in and everything was working. I even checked over all the power options with the owner and it was 100%.

A day or 2 later, he msgs me and says his "electric board for fuses" is fried......and its gonna cost him about $300 in repairs.

My question is, did I really ruin the electric board for fuses? And shouldn't the fuses protect the system?
After I replaced the fuses, the owner and i checked over everything, and all the power options were working. So I'm kind of puzzled.
IF i really did fry the electric board, wouldn't it be not functional after i replaced the blown fuses? Or does it get fried, and the electric board
is able to function for a little while longer, and die off.
Advertisement

Last edited by js; 11-30-2010 at 05:49 PM.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Tell him you want a pic of the fuse box showing the damage. Also, what car? Lots of cars have known issues with bad fuse boxes.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
js

Its an 03 Acura RSX premium version. I will probably take a look at it tomorrow to see what kind of damages hes talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Tell him you want a pic of the fuse box showing the damage. Also, what car? Lots of cars have known issues with bad fuse boxes.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
maybe u installed a higher amp? fuse into a lower amp slot..so if a electrical surge occurs the fuse would not blow because it only blows if the amp is higher than its rating
fuck cant explain it lol
for example if u put a 20amp fuse in a 10amp slot its not going to blow the fuse because the electrical surge is not powerful enough, thus causing damage to the component
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
js

yea, I get what you're trying to say and I'm aware of that so i made sure it was the right fuses. I msged orgasm_donor for some input and he said its a pretty strange case because he never disconnects the battery from the terminals also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
maybe u installed a higher amp? fuse into a lower amp slot..so if a electrical surge occurs the fuse would not blow because it only blows if the amp is higher than its rating
fuck cant explain it lol
for example if u put a 20amp fuse in a 10amp slot its not going to blow the fuse because the electrical surge is not powerful enough, thus causing damage to the component
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^ i was just gonna say
every time Mike has worked on my car, he's never disconnected my battery, and nor have i ever disconnected my battery when i fiddled with the car and stuff

i hope you guys get it figured out, but i don't know if it's your fault.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
No battry disconnect usually for basic deck install unless your swapping rcas on some brands. It's only a harness you unplug, if the batteries disconnected it won't save fuses because as soon as you give it power the fuses will blow anyways lol...
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
js

Apparently Midas guys are laughing about this situation and made it a big deal about not disconnecting the battery. I've installed MANY decks before....and worst case scenario is a broken fuse......what bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
No battry disconnect usually for basic deck install unless your swapping rcas on some brands. It's only a harness you unplug, if the batteries disconnected it won't save fuses because as soon as you give it power the fuses will blow anyways lol...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Apparently Midas guys are laughing about this situation and made it a big deal about not disconnecting the battery. I've installed MANY decks before....and worst case scenario is a broken fuse......what bad luck.
Lol I love this. It's always the deadbeat losers making minimum wage at places like Midas having a giggle over shit that they'd never hope to understand in a lifetime.

Honestly I've never disconnected the battery installing a deck either, but then again they were always pretty basic installs. Tough luck. =(
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
js

Update on the situation. Midas calls my buddy and tells him they ordered a $185 part......
THEN after they said, no we don't need that part and we fixed the problem for $110.

At this point I already knew they were scamming him, but w/e.
My buddy and i went down there to see whats up. They brought out this diagram trying to make it all complicated and what not. So i just asked him to explain and basically, 2 fuses blown and the hazard light harness needed to be plugged in. So I said 110 is not a fair price to replace 2 fuses and plug something in and the manager starts trippin out. Then we got into an argument and he was choked and told us to take it and go.
We ended up paying 0 dollars.
From $300+ to $185 to $110 to $0
CONCLUSION? = MIDAS IS SCAMMMM
This is the Midas on main and terminal.....1688 Main St, Vancouver
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
Dont...Trust the Midas touch..
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Update on the situation. Midas calls my buddy and tells him they ordered a $185 part......
THEN after they said, no we don't need that part and we fixed the problem for $110.

My buddy and i went down there to see whats up. They brought out this diagram trying to make it all complicated and what not. So i just asked him to explain and basically, 2 fuses blown and the hazard light harness needed to be plugged in. So I said 110 is not a fair price to replace 2 fuses and plug something in and the manager starts trippin out. Then we got into an argument and he was choked and told us to take it and go.
LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Well they had to go to all the trouble of pushing two 25 cent fuses into place, and plugging a harness in.... lol
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Well they had to go to all the trouble of pushing two 25 cent fuses into place, and plugging a harness in.... lol
50 cents in parts 5 hours of labor
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

LOL

i been to that location before

at least u won the battle at the end
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #16
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
50 cents in parts 5 hours of labor
Plus $8.95 in shop supplies and $64 in administration fees.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
This place sucks

they did a oil change for my sister and I borrowed her car the next day and checked the oil just cause I was at the gas station and there was none. She went back and was told that her car burned all the oil... and the charged her for added oil to the engine.