REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   NEXUS border pass (https://www.revscene.net/forums/631703-nexus-border-pass.html)

gcf78 12-01-2010 10:29 AM

NEXUS border pass

I am planning to apply NEXUS border pass with my wife. She just remember that she had an overdue US speeding ticket from around 5 years ago. Would this be a problem for getting the pass? Any risk for crossing the border with Nexus on the condition? She does not drive often in the US anymore from what I can remember.

Thanks

bcrdukes 12-01-2010 03:18 PM

No, speeding tickets do not work against your application.

gars 12-01-2010 04:20 PM

i thought overdue speeding tickets from the US result in an arrest warrant...?

Mr.Jay 12-01-2010 04:28 PM

While I don't believe speeding tickets work against you I do know that you may be turned out due to an outstanding warrant for unpaid speeding tickets.

bcrdukes 12-01-2010 04:40 PM

The only way to find out is if you apply but usually it's the infractions that are recorded at the US/Canadian border that will work against you.

hal0g0dv2 12-01-2010 08:12 PM

pay it first, then apply

Mananetwork 12-06-2010 11:36 AM

I've applied for it and never heard back. My parents on the other hand got it pretty easily!

I think you need to go very frequently with a good cause or have a family.

racerman88 12-13-2010 03:03 PM

Best to do your research first so that you do not waste your time and money.

votrechien 01-08-2011 01:16 PM

Youre best to probably call the Nexus folks and find out. Worst case scenario, I would imagine you would just need to clear up the speeding ticket first.

Nexus is the greatest thing ever, but it's a 1-strike and you're out forever policy...you don't want to jeopardize things just because of a $150 ticket.

orgasm_donor 01-18-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7210904)

I got a speeding ticket in California back in 1998. I never paid it.
That said, I do have my Nexus pass and it was relatively easy to obtain. I applied online in mid-october and went for my interview and retinal scan at the airport on November 26th. Wasn't too bad. I just told them that I go shopping a lot in the States and that was good enough for them.

syee 01-18-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7210904)

Technically, they could serve you with a bench warrant if they wanted to since you didn't pay the fine and didn't show up in court. I honestly doubt they'd do something like this for a speeding ticket but if they're nitpicking, it could happen. If you get pulled over, then they could also arrest you on the spot if the warrant shows up on the computer when they do their check on you. I personally wouldn't risk it.

I don't know if you have the ticket anymore, but you could always tell them you lost the ticket and not sure who to send payment to. That could buy you some time as long as you're willing to pay the ticket.

Looking at a recent speeding ticket I got (in Skagit County), it says "This is a non-criminal offense for which you cannot go to jail". I guess with that, it means they won't throw you in jail, but that doesn't mean that they can't arrest you.

Like bcrdukes mentioned, it's really more to do with infractions that occurred at the border. If you've been denied entry or have any black mark on your record, be honest and tell them when they ask you. You can't BS them since they have it all on record. I've been denied entry once before, and been sent to secondary screening at YVR more times than I care to remember and they still gave me a NEXUS pass. (although to be honest, at the time I applied, I had a TN visa) The whole point of NEXUS is that it's a "trusted traveler" program where you've been pre-screened and deemed low risk and hence don't require as rigorous screening. I'm pretty sure they'll accept any reasonable reason for getting a NEXUS pass (like you go there shopping or you like to vacation in the US a lot).

bigrig 01-20-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 7226710)
Best to do your research first so that you do not waste your time and money.

no one would be wasting time or money. its $50 for 5 years!

even if you go once a year, the time you're saving by not having to line up at the border crossings or immigration when returning by air is worth way more than $50

remember, time is money

Doubl3_H 06-29-2011 06:13 PM

BUMP

I got a nexus interview this Friday, July 1 at 11am @ the Pac Hwy Crossing.

Now in order to make it for my 11am interview time, I need to cross the border.

I know it is a holiday on friday, and the border lineup will get busy. How can I factor in my time in order to arrive on time for my interview?

Theres no way to know how long the lineup will be.

Anyone can give me some pointers?

Thanks

syee 06-29-2011 07:01 PM

If it's a long weekend, budget for a 3 hour line up. If you end up crossing early then you can go get some gas or take a drive down to Bellingham if you have the time.

I thought there was a Nexus office in the airport now? I've heard of people going there as well. (although it might be too late for you to change it now)

orgasm_donor 06-29-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7495155)
If it's a long weekend, budget for a 3 hour line up. If you end up crossing early then you can go get some gas or take a drive down to Bellingham if you have the time.

I thought there was a Nexus office in the airport now? I've heard of people going there as well. (although it might be too late for you to change it now)

Yes there is a Nexus at the Airport and the wait is usually around 2-3 hours even WITH an appointment. I paid way too much for parking that day. LOL

racerman88 08-07-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrig (Post 7273727)
no one would be wasting time or money. its $50 for 5 years!

even if you go once a year, the time you're saving by not having to line up at the border crossings or immigration when returning by air is worth way more than $50

remember, time is money

What I am referring to is doing your research regarding how a speeding ticket would affect your application. if you don't do your research when it comes to an outstanding speeding ticket, you can apply and pay your $50 only to have them deny you.

!Aznboi128 08-07-2011 01:33 PM

When I applied for my nexus I went to the airport. Took no more than 20 min wait and about a 25 min interview quick and easy j took the skytrain back to riverock where I left my car. Easy peasy
Posted via RS Mobile

CP.AR 08-07-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor (Post 7495266)
Yes there is a Nexus at the Airport and the wait is usually around 2-3 hours even WITH an appointment. I paid way too much for parking that day. LOL

I went at 8:00AM... I i didn't even have to wait!

Finished the interview then hopped onto the plane on my way to Hong Kong :fullofwin:

LiquidTurbo 02-24-2012 10:58 PM

Bump. Are there any downsides to getting a Nexus Pass (aside from paying $50)

jackmeister 02-24-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7808787)

make sure you dont have any WORK RELATED shit with you. apparently they're anal about it

CP.AR 02-25-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7808787)

always be honest with them, they don't take any of the "oh i forgot i bought this" bullshit.

1 strike and the next time you get your pass taken away and fined.
que true story image

1exotic 02-25-2012 03:34 AM

Was thinking about getting a Nexus pass myself since I am going accross at least once a week. Also on top of the long lineup they always ask a bunch of questions which gets pretty annoying. About what I'm doing, who's car it is, what I do for work, etc. In the Nexus lane do they question you as much? or do you just show them your Nexus card and you're on the way.. ?

bobbyhill 02-25-2012 06:06 AM

They used to hassle me in the regular lanes, even though i have no prior "history" with them in regards to infractions/warnings/secondary inspections, albeit my car is modified and "all black everything".

Got my Nexus pass, and all they ask is one sentence, "anything to declare? no? have a nice day ", takes less than 30s to cross the border.

orgasm_donor 02-25-2012 08:58 AM

Yeha once you have Nexus they don't really hassle with you. Its pretty quick.
Of course you still need to be honest with them and declare anything that you are bringing back into Canada.

tiger_handheld 02-25-2012 09:57 AM

to the guys that have a nexus-

if i am a nexus holder and my passenger is not, can i still use the nexus lane and provide passport/edl to the border guard at the nexus booth?