REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRIP)

Here is the website:

http://www.dripadvice.com/

Questions:

1) Is this a scam?
2) If not, any members have experience investing in DRIP?
3) What are the pros and cons? compare to stocks,mutual funds
Advertisement
BeefCake4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

it's not a scam.

you buy a stock that pays dividends. DRIP let's you reinvest those dividends into more stock usually w/o commisions

something like this explains better than I can:
http://www.claymoreinvestments.ca/en.../etf-drip/drip
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

A good thing about DRIP is having tax deferred gains. Also, I think your "dividends" won't be taxed as dividends. Instead, when you sell, you will realize a greater gain as your ACB is unchanged but your POD is higher due to the extra shares.

A negative thing about DRIP is it buys at market price, therefore you can't time your entry point. To me, this is outweighs the tax advantage. Also, if you are in a lower income bracket, you barely pay any tax on dividend income.
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Bumping a really old thread.

Wanted to see if any RSers buy or own any DRIP shares. I'm looking to get started in DRIPs and wanted to acquire one share in either:

-Scotiabank
-TELUS
-Enbridge

Figured it would be cheaper to acquire through private transfer rather than through a broker.