REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

2 die in Russian jet emergency landing

2 die in Russian jet emergency landing

40 injured as plane skids off Moscow runway

A jet airliner with 155 people on board skidded off the runway during an emergency landing at a Moscow airport on Saturday, killing two people and injuring about 40, Russian officials said.

The plane, a TU-154 belonging to Dagestan Airlines, was forced to land at Domodedovo Airport after its engines cut out, federal aviation agency spokesman Sergei Izvolsky said in televised comments.

The cause of the engine failure was unclear, he said.

Izvolsky said the plane had taken off from another Moscow hub, Vnukovo Airport, and was en route to Makhachkala, the capital of Russia's southern region of Dagestan.

Izvolsky said the pilot received signals that all three engines had cut out about 80 kilometres into the flight at an altitude of 9,100 metres, and requested an emergency landing at Domodedovo, to the southeast of Moscow.

The airport switched scheduled flights to a second runway, and normal service was not affected, officials said in televised comments.

Flagship carrier Aeroflot recently withdrew all of its TU-154s from service, after a series of crashes led to safety fears. But the Tupolev mid-range jets, which originally entered service in the 1970s, remain the mainstay of smaller airlines across Russia and the former Soviet Union. It is banned from Europe because of excessive engine noise.

The plane that crashed in heavy fog earlier this year, killing Polish President Lech Kaczynski, was also a TU-154.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/1...y-landing.html
Advertisement
ch1ck3nb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
RIP

any aviation experts here can comment on the plane?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

god hates fags
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Tu 154 is a pretty shitty plane, RIP to the victims.
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknJean View Post
god hates fags
thats why god hates you

Last edited by AccordCouped; 12-05-2010 at 05:01 AM.
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Not an expert, but a triple engine failure sounds like a fuel pump or flow issue. I'm not sure how the engines get their fuel, either through separate pumps or just one, but it doesn't seem like an engine issue. Russian jets and aviation in general is a joke. People think that their fighters and passenger planes rival their western counterparts because they look cool at airshows. In reality, they are nothing but flying coffins.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,518 Times in 4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknJean View Post
god hates fags
God only hates people who don't give to the church.

gimmie that ticket to heaven, bitch!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Not an expert, but a triple engine failure sounds like a fuel pump or flow issue. I'm not sure how the engines get their fuel, either through separate pumps or just one, but it doesn't seem like an engine issue. Russian jets and aviation in general is a joke. People think that their fighters and passenger planes rival their western counterparts because they look cool at airshows. In reality, they are nothing but flying coffins.
If they're anything like our twin Commanchees then everything is seperate, for this exactl reason.

I'd say the pilot did a pretty good job. Don't feel like looking up landing distanes and the length of the runway he landed on. But when you lose your engine on those jets you lose a very critical braking mechanism.

Landing a Cessna with no engines is easy, a jet... Probably not so much.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

When all engines are cut out, you no longer have the reverse thrust to help you stop and no brakes alone are going to stop an airplane loaded with ppl. That being said, russian aviation is a joke. i can't remember which plane it is but there's a plane that had an uneven number of engines between the 2 wings so the pilot needed full rudder on take off just so the plane will go straight. I guess they never thought what would happen if there's a crosswind.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote