REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Banned (BBM)

DOg insurance

anyone purchased it before?

recommandation? cost?

thx
Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

just got some about 6 months ago, went with Petcare, pay about $37/mth

I think theres about 4-5 main pet insurance providers in Canada, I narrowed my choice down to Petcare or Pet Secure, decided to go with the first
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Banned (BBM)

^

how much does it cover

when u buy insurance
wats the procedure? do u just start paying the monthly fee, or it requires taking ur dog a exam than than u start paying the insurance etc
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I think if you took that money and set it aside you'd more likely then not be better off in the long run. My dog is 9 years old I had one thing that I probably would have had to use insurance for that cost me $500. $37 x 12 x 9 = Just shy of $4000.

I know there is a chance your dog might need an expensive surgery but there is also a good chance that the insurance will screw you around and make it almost impossible to collect. I wouldn't buy it, not worth it IMO.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

wat worries me is i THINK my dog has a tumor (i think tats how u spell ) near his stomach

and it really really reall worries me, i cant afford his surgery, yet he just turned 6 years old. its a labordor retriever

Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
They don't need to do physical because they will just deny your claim. You do know a simple biopsy before surgery, the vet will be able to tell how long the tumour has been growing?

You better start selling your Mugen and your Evolutions.

Oh chances are you might need to pay up front for major surgeries at least a portion.. then insurance company finds out and invalidates your policy, you basically paid all the insurance all for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
wat worries me is i THINK my dog has a tumor (i think tats how u spell ) near his stomach

and it really really reall worries me, i cant afford his surgery, yet he just turned 6 years old. its a labordor retriever

Last edited by godwin; 12-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

Um.....What if that tumor is cancerous? Don't you think you should get that checked out?....like now....If the tumor is benign however, it may not need to be removed.

Buying insurance now does absolutely nothing for you about this 'lump' near his stomch. Go to your vet, figure out what this thing is, so you can either prevent this tumor from getting larger and thus resulting in more expensive surgery or so you can find out that it, in fact, is either benign or is not even a tumor at all and can clear your head and thus live in peace.

Run along now.

Last edited by 1-Slicer-1; 12-05-2010 at 11:14 PM.
1-Slicer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
my two wesite has insurance, my mom takes care of it, but from what i know, it covers 95% of the fees
from sneezing to surgery etc, stay over in vet etc etc

i highly doubt they would let you insure your dog, as its already showing symptoms, they will most likely deny it
as my dogs got their insurance when they were just puppies, its cheaper and it covers more i believe

i just got a pitty today, going to get it insured soon
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
^

how much does it cover

when u buy insurance
wats the procedure? do u just start paying the monthly fee, or it requires taking ur dog a exam than than u start paying the insurance etc
cant remember exactly what it covers, have to look it up. I remember I got something middle of the road.

We just started paying right away, but shortly after signing up we took him to get an exam.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If you think your dog has cancer you need to take him to a vet IMMEDIATELY. Most vets, if you've had a long standing relationship with them, will be willing to work out a payment arrangement for expensive treatment. You are not only responsible for but legally required to provide proper medical care for your animal, that is the responsibility you took on when you took in the dog.

First find out if it's malignant or benign. If it is an aggressive form of cancer and you are unable or unwilling to pay for the surgery you at least owe it to your animal to man up and put him or her to sleep so that he or she can die with dignity rather then enduring a slow painful death because you were unwilling to foot the bill for an exam.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Banned (BBM)

^

for sure, thats what im gonna do today bringing him to the vet and get it looked at.

hope he is okay

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I think if you took that money and set it aside you'd more likely then not be better off in the long run. My dog is 9 years old I had one thing that I probably would have had to use insurance for that cost me $500. $37 x 12 x 9 = Just shy of $4000.

I know there is a chance your dog might need an expensive surgery but there is also a good chance that the insurance will screw you around and make it almost impossible to collect. I wouldn't buy it, not worth it IMO.
+1 with putting money aside. The problem with this is that not many people can diligently put $37 a month aside and not touch it.

I also think it depends on the breed of dog you have. Seems like smaller & pure bred dogs are more prone to injuries/issues. One of my friends has spent probably close to 10k in the last year with surgery, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
+1 with putting money aside. The problem with this is that not many people can diligently put $37 a month aside and not touch it.

I also think it depends on the breed of dog you have. Seems like smaller & pure bred dogs are more prone to injuries/issues. One of my friends has spent probably close to 10k in the last year with surgery, etc.
One of the best ways to do it is with a change/cash jar. When I first started keeping animals that required an exotic vet, but had very low limit credit cards, I would dump all my change every night and any $5s I had into a jar. You'd be amazed how much money would collect in there and because it was mostly just change it never seemed like money I was 'missing'.

It came in major handy when my cat got maulled by a raccoon and I had to go to an emergancy vet in the middle of the night (which costs like $200 just to walk into the clinic pretty much).
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
i highly doubt they would let you insure your dog, as its already showing symptoms, they will most likely deny it
Yeah... basically that's like buying car insurance after you've already gotten into an accident. Not going to work.

But yeah, for most people, it'll be cheaper in the long run to pay for the expenses out of pocket instead of for an insurance plan.

We got insurance for our chihuahua for the first year we had her, and we were able to make some claims, but it still would have cost less if we paid out of our own pocket.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The insurance company will happily take your money. they will just deny your claim and keep your money (that's the best scenario).. As you are required to declare that the dog is in good health. Worst case scenario, they get the lawyers involved.

Basically the OP is thinking about committing insurance fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

My dog had a big lump as well and of course the first thing I though was tumour. Had the biopsy done and it turned out to be just a fat lump.

Get it checked out, the biopsy wasn't that expensive either. It might be something or it might be nothing. I was expecting the worst but was suprised for the good.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

OP, give up some update when you can.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
Banned (BBM)

thx guys, ya not gonna bother buying insurance.

strictly looking for a vet

NOw i took him today, apparently the previous vet shop closed down

Any vets you guys had good experience with? passion for dog, friendly and most important REASONABLE price? hoping an asian doctor ( iknow its rare)

IN coquitlam/burnaby area

thx a lot

not everyone can afford a huge bill for dog, my boss's dog had cancer, spent $4-5g in a month or so, end up putting it down couple months later. Its really unfortunate watching man's best friend go like that. Especially mine is still fairaly young, just got to 6 years in his life.

thx for the help tho
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

theres a taiwanese vet on kingsway near ramada hotel
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #20
Banned (BBM)

^

cool thx a lot

do you know the shop name? i wonna go before they close. but wont be home from work usually until 5ish

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&biw...61564620860569

it aint that one, yet it seems to be the closest vet near ramada hotel

Last edited by Mugen EvOlutioN; 12-07-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

NVM, my mom said dont go there as we brought our dog there before for shots and the service was over priced and shit, and she said she has heard bad feedbacks, and it has killed a dog during surgery before..
so No good !
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
Banned (BBM)

^

thx for letting me know

i was just busy googling all morning.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
Banned (BBM)

took him to north road animal hospital, after googling all morning and read decent reviews about this one

TOtal bil was $270 after taxes

he had one ear infection, some rabbies and annual shots

Most likely just a chunk of fat, but we still gonna take samples and send it to the lab

took him in for grooming, he is a happy dog now

This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I recommend buying pet insurance. My coworkers told me of some medical procedures they had to pay out of their own pocket and they were not cheap. $2000 for swallowing a sock, and $3000 for fixing a leg.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
took him to north road animal hospital, after googling all morning and read decent reviews about this one

TOtal bil was $270 after taxes

he had one ear infection, some rabbies and annual shots

Most likely just a chunk of fat, but we still gonna take samples and send it to the lab

took him in for grooming, he is a happy dog now

Good on you.