REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Lease buyout

My Subaru's lease is ending at the end of the year and I want to buyout the vehicle at lease end.

I've talked to the dealership and they want me to do an inspection on the vehicle for $400, even though i'm buying the car out.

I've called GMAC, and they're saying that I can purchase the vehicle directly from GMAC, and then GMAC would mail me the bill of the vehicle, which I then would have to go to the "Auto Ministry" to transfer the ownership of the vehicle onto my name. GMAC didnt know how/where the Auto Ministry of BC is, and I did a quick google search and couldnt find anything...Ideally i'd like to take this route as it'll skip the $400 inspection fee at the dealership.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
Advertisement
CT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
call up ICBC and find out, i believe they do title transfer....
Old 12-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
racing & tech mod.

This is a special situation because although it's a Subaru bought at a Subaru store, the leasing was done with GMAC, and it's actually the leasing company that owns the vehicle - NOT Subaru Canada or the Subaru dealership.

You have no reason to go back to the dealership in this case, unless you want to do it in person with someone and get it done right away - and that isn't "free" - they have to make money somehow if you are going to take up their time, and the $400 or whatever fee is how they pay the bills.

You only need to do a lease-end inspection if you are dropping the vehicle, and there should never be a charge for the inspection. There is only a charge if you have exceeded the allowed KM on the car, or have damaged it, (or worn the brakes/tires/beyond spec)

Look at your leasing contract carefully, there may be a section which details what paperwork or documentation fees you will incurr in addition to the vehicle buyout.

The "Auto Ministry" is what they call ICBC. Once you have paid GMAC for the vehicle, they will mail you a bill of sale, which you take to any ICBC/autoplan office. I'm not sure if you pay the HST on the buyout to GMAC or Autoplan. They will tell you. They will take the old plates and give you new ones once you transfer the vehicle ownership. You cannot keep the plates when you buy out a lease (because the actual ownership changes)
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

To the OP:

I have leased a subaru from GMAC before.

All you need to do is pay GMAC the residual value + any outstanding payments + TAX (HST, 12%). Once you have paid this amount, GMAC will send you a document/letter saying that you can go to ICBC and change the ownership of your Subaru.

Your dealer is trying to rip you off.

It is unnecessary that the dealer has to perform an inspection on the vehicle, since you are NOT reuturning it to GMAC. (What is your dealership?)
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanks everyone, I had a feeling I could bypass the dealership and the inspection process since I wanted to purchase the car straight out from GMAC, just didn't realise the "Auto Ministry" was actually ICBC haha

Btw, this dealership is Don Docksteader, however I also called Specialty Subaru and they also have the same process.
CT10 is offline   Reply With Quote