REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Taking a Canadian Vehicle and Modifying it as a Catering Vehicle in the US? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632681-taking-canadian-vehicle-modifying-catering-vehicle-us.html)

rslater 12-13-2010 04:38 PM

Taking a Canadian Vehicle and Modifying it as a Catering Vehicle in the US?

Hopefully this won't sound too confusing. I am getting mixed answers from all different organizations so I wanted to here your guys opinions or if anyone has done anything even remotely similiar.

I am looking into purchasing a vehicle in BC, driving it down into the US and having it oufitted partially as a Catering Vehicle. The permanent modifications that would be done would be installing a service window into the body, plumbing and installation of water tanks on the bottom of the vehicle, electric work in the interior such as outlets and a breaker box, installation of sinks, and putting up aluminium walls.

This is all the modifications that would be done. So in terms of added weight, it is just really the sinks. Now from my partial understanding from RIV is that once a vehicle is taken into the states and modified it is now classified as a new type of vehicle and has to go through the whole importation process. They then told me that importing a vehicle with those modifcations would not be allowed to be brought into Canada. This was even under the considerations that it is a Canadian vehicle being brought into Canada.

I called a couple customs brokers and they said it would not be a problem bringing the vehicle back into Canada. I tried to call Transport Canada, but haven't heard back from them. I was wondering if anyone of you has similiar experience, even with taking a vehicle into the US and having it undergone major manufacture modifcations.

donjalapeno 12-13-2010 05:42 PM

isnt it cheaper to get a car over in the states :confused:

rslater 12-13-2010 10:50 PM

I think you don't quiet understand my issue.

angus 12-14-2010 12:00 AM

Well, you have a few options, use a broker that has a good rep - get the work done and don't mention a thing about it at the border, or mention it and take it in the ass.

A big part of the problem is customs never wants to hear that our country lost money to a U.S. company, I 've actually been tuned around for saying I'm going to fix my buddy's car, they were like "we got lotsa mechanics" "beat it"

StylinRed 12-14-2010 12:16 AM

don't tell them?

I know it may seem stupid and fail worthy but it sounds like it's going to not only be costly but also a great hassle and time consumer

in that case you may as well try your hand and bringing it back without informing them, if you're set on getting the work done down South

ultimately, you'd be better off getting the work done locally

xpl0sive 12-14-2010 01:18 PM

i'm pretty sure they wouldn't care if you drove it back with the mods done. no need to import it into the US and then export it back to Canada. Just drive down like you would usually go down for shopping, gets the mods done, and drive back. save all your invoices for ICBC and you're good to go