REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Taking a Canadian Vehicle and Modifying it as a Catering Vehicle in the US?

Hopefully this won't sound too confusing. I am getting mixed answers from all different organizations so I wanted to here your guys opinions or if anyone has done anything even remotely similiar.

I am looking into purchasing a vehicle in BC, driving it down into the US and having it oufitted partially as a Catering Vehicle. The permanent modifications that would be done would be installing a service window into the body, plumbing and installation of water tanks on the bottom of the vehicle, electric work in the interior such as outlets and a breaker box, installation of sinks, and putting up aluminium walls.

This is all the modifications that would be done. So in terms of added weight, it is just really the sinks. Now from my partial understanding from RIV is that once a vehicle is taken into the states and modified it is now classified as a new type of vehicle and has to go through the whole importation process. They then told me that importing a vehicle with those modifcations would not be allowed to be brought into Canada. This was even under the considerations that it is a Canadian vehicle being brought into Canada.

I called a couple customs brokers and they said it would not be a problem bringing the vehicle back into Canada. I tried to call Transport Canada, but haven't heard back from them. I was wondering if anyone of you has similiar experience, even with taking a vehicle into the US and having it undergone major manufacture modifcations.
Advertisement
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
isnt it cheaper to get a car over in the states
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I think you don't quiet understand my issue.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Well, you have a few options, use a broker that has a good rep - get the work done and don't mention a thing about it at the border, or mention it and take it in the ass.

A big part of the problem is customs never wants to hear that our country lost money to a U.S. company, I 've actually been tuned around for saying I'm going to fix my buddy's car, they were like "we got lotsa mechanics" "beat it"
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
don't tell them?

I know it may seem stupid and fail worthy but it sounds like it's going to not only be costly but also a great hassle and time consumer

in that case you may as well try your hand and bringing it back without informing them, if you're set on getting the work done down South

ultimately, you'd be better off getting the work done locally
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
i'm pretty sure they wouldn't care if you drove it back with the mods done. no need to import it into the US and then export it back to Canada. Just drive down like you would usually go down for shopping, gets the mods done, and drive back. save all your invoices for ICBC and you're good to go

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote