REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #626
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If your not register it almost triples the cost with the processing fee.
So in a fair world, our insurance should go down since ICBC is making extra income now.... But nope.
Advertisement
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #627
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
I thought when you registered, you were required to give a CC #?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
You were, but if you had your credit card replaced or it expired, or for any number of other reasons it was no longer valid, then the charges would have sat on the account until you finally paid them and added a new credit card.

My credit card expired and I got a new one, within that month they must have sent me three letters and a bunch of emails telling me to update my information so that my bill can be paid.
exactly but I don't want them to have my credit card so I have them setup by online banking now instead.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #628
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
So in a fair world, our insurance should go down since ICBC is making extra income now.... But nope.
What?

The processing fee is just the fee charged to unregistered vehicles. It represents the costs associated with them having to track down who it was who crossed the bridge, bill them for it, and actually try and retrieve the money from that person.

The only relation to ICBC exists because it costs treo money to get the information of the vehicle from ICBC. The reason it costs ICBC money to get this information is because they have to pay someone to fish it out of the system and forward it to treo.

Its not like ICBC makes money off this system, or atleast they aren't supposed to be.

The idea is that the tolls are supposed to go towards funding the expenses incurred from the project, and to provide funds for other infrastructure improvements.

The idea of the toll was never to subsidize our insurance premiums...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #629
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
...and westbound from mount Lehman all the way to 200... Always such heavy traffic even during non rush hour times
I don't know how you define "heavy traffic"... Monday morning I left Abbotsford shortly after 6am and made it to the job site on English Bay before 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #630
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I think the 80/90 speed limits are either construction speeds or is set as "training", or maybe even to see how we do? Can't think of anywhere else in the lower mainland that 4-6 lanes of traffic flow on each side and with constant turns. Most lanes (Before construction that I can think of correct if wrong) are Alex Fraser (3 lanes) Lions Gate (Counterflow 3) Massey Tunnel (Counterflow 3), and if we count city 3 for Marine drive (Riush hour) 3 Kingsway (Rush hour) and 3 Vedder Road Chilliwack for a short distance. But those above mentioned roads are all straight driving for the most part.
Lions Gate counterflow is only 2 lanes, but I'm not too sure what you're trying to say exactly above. Are you suggesting Kingsway or Marine Drive should have an 80/90 speed limit?

I think 90 is where its going to stay. I was tagged for an excessive at 125 in the 80 zone where traffic flow was 110-120, just after Willingdon years and years back before construction was even slated. So I feel like they will see an increase of 10km/h as 'progress'.

I'd love to see electronic speed limit signs like what they have on the I5 as you approach Seattle. That way the speed limit can change as traffic volume allows.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #631
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Is this bridge going to be like the Coq hwy and be toll free once the cost to build has been recouped?
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #632
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
Is this bridge going to be like the Coq hwy and be toll free once the cost to build has been recouped?
That's what they say but they said that about the Coquihalla as well and that thing had a toll long after it was paid for but eventually it came off. It probably won't be removed in my lifetime, they are saying 40 years but once the Govt starts bringing in taxes or levies they don't like to let them go.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I think 90 is where its going to stay. I was tagged for an excessive at 125 in the 80 zone where traffic flow was 110-120, just after Willingdon years and years back before construction was even slated. So I feel like they will see an increase of 10km/h as 'progress'.
It hasn't gone up any in many sections.

As someone pointed out earlier to me; It was 90 before the construction in many places, and it went down to 80 for construction across the board, and now the plan is for it to be 100 east of the bridge, 90 through the lakes, and 80 west of grandview.

So we actually didn't even gain 10km/h, we essentially gained absolutely nothing.

I see erratic driving every damn day through the lake stretch, from people getting pissed off at people going 80 or 90. The speed limit needs to be 100 at least, 110 would be more suitable.

Source:

Why are construction speed limits still in effect on Hwy 1? | News1130

Major fuck up on the governments part. There needs to be more signs saying "Get out of the fucking fast lane". And more coppers need to slam people blocking the fast lane.

This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #634
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
That's what they say but they said that about the Coquihalla as well and that thing had a toll long after it was paid for but eventually it came off. It probably won't be removed in my lifetime, they are saying 40 years but once the Govt starts bringing in taxes or levies they don't like to let them go.
I was okay with tolls on the Coq. Considering the beating it takes every winter and the amount of repairs they used to do, it was justifiable. Since the tolls have been removed, the road quality has dropped significantly.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
It hasn't gone up any in many sections.

As someone pointed out earlier to me; It was 90 before the construction in many places, and it went down to 80 for construction across the board, and now the plan is for it to be 100 east of the bridge, 90 through the lakes, and 80 west of grandview.

So we actually didn't even gain 10km/h, we essentially gained absolutely nothing.
How about extra lanes... better ramps... less congestion...

What a retarded fucking question... BECAUSE PARTS ARE STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

The alternative is to have limits constantly going up and down as little sections get done. Then you'd bitch because you got a ticket for going 90 in and 80 construction zone when you'd only just got back up to 90 after leaving another construction zone.

Quote:
There needs to be more signs saying "Get out of the fucking fast lane". And more coppers need to slam people blocking the fast lane.
THIS I think we can all agree with.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I was okay with tolls on the Coq. Considering the beating it takes every winter and the amount of repairs they used to do, it was justifiable. Since the tolls have been removed, the road quality has dropped significantly.
+1
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
How about extra lanes... better ramps... less congestion...

What a retarded fucking question... BECAUSE PARTS ARE STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

The alternative is to have limits constantly going up and down as little sections get done. Then you'd bitch because you got a ticket for going 90 in and 80 construction zone when you'd only just got back up to 90 after leaving another construction zone.

THIS I think we can all agree with.

No I was listing that as a source because at the bottom it says what the new speed limits are going to be. I agree that the article was rather stupid.

And yes we did gain better traffic flow and all that jazz, but i'm just disapointed that we couldn't even bump the limit to 100km/h across the entire section, like all the way to the cassiar, or atleast willingdon.

In the end it doesn't matter because everyone will drive it at 110 anyway.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #638
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
everytime i drive in the morning cars are going 100+ km/h. once i get across the port mann into surrey everyone seem to go 120+

I agree that signs need to go up stating slow traffic keep right. There has been numerous times that i was pass traffic using the slow lane.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #639
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

nice sharing.....
nkxdnmxj773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #640
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So.......
Anyone using any products on their plates that work? I've found many products online from frames to sprays but they are all $$$ and I don't know if they work on these fancy cameras. PM me please

No high horse responses please, I pay too fucking much a month (not enough to justify a monthly pass) and i'm getting sick of it.

$1.50 was fair.
c4@urdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #641
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
everytime i drive in the morning cars are going 100+ km/h. once i get across the port mann into surrey everyone seem to go 120+
I won't confess how fast I go on Hwy1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4@urdoor View Post
No high horse responses please, I pay too fucking much a month (not enough to justify a monthly pass) and i'm getting sick of it.

$1.50 was fair.
I agree. $1.50 was very fair and I crossed that bitch of a bridge every day till they doubled it. Now I only cross it when I'm too tired or in a hurry.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #642
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Here's something that bothers me. The following is a list of all the major upgrades recently completed in the GVRD.

Pitt River Bridge - $200 Million
Sea to Sky - $600 Million
South Fraser Perimeter Road - $1.2 Billion
Port Mann - $2.4 Billion

Obviously the Highway 1 project is the most expensive one, with the bridge itself taking more than half the construction budget allocated. If the contract to collect tolls was set up in such a manner that it would only pay for the bridge portion, I could get behind it. However, the toll goes to pay for the entire damn project -- bridge, overpasses, on/off-ramps and all. Basically what it means is that the huge majority of people who live on the West side of the bridge can take advantage of this whole thing without having to pay a single toll (or, conversely, those who may drive from Abbotsford out to 152nd in Surrey). Basically the only people who are on the hook to pay this thing off are those who, for whatever reason they have, must drive over the bridge in order to get to work/home. If we wanted to make it fair, why not place toll cameras on every on-ramp between 200th in Langley and whatever road in Vancouver it ends at and charge everyone, say, 50 cents to take the trip? And those who drive over the bridge get tolled another $1/1.50? That way everyone who benefits from the upgrades can pay their fair share.

OR.... if we're talking about paying fair shares, why the hell is the Sea to Sky not fucking tolled? Like when the Coquihalla was upgraded, the S2S was more of a "luxury" than necessity. The SFPR could be argued that it truly was a necessity, but at over $1.2 billion dollars, why are there no tolls on it? And yet, a new Pattullo Bridge, which will cost less than the untolled SFPR project, is expected to be tolled?

Where's the damn consistency? Translink/Mayor's Council is screaming for more money, well... you've got three newly completed projects just begging for some shiny new cameras to be installed.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #643

Quote:
Here's something that bothers me. The following is a list of all the major upgrades recently completed in the GVRD.

Pitt River Bridge - $200 Million
Sea to Sky - $600 Million
South Fraser Perimeter Road - $1.2 Billion
Port Mann - $2.4 Billion

Obviously the Highway 1 project is the most expensive one, with the bridge itself taking more than half the construction budget allocated. If the contract to collect tolls was set up in such a manner that it would only pay for the bridge portion, I could get behind it. However, the toll goes to pay for the entire damn project -- bridge, overpasses, on/off-ramps and all. Basically what it means is that the huge majority of people who live on the West side of the bridge can take advantage of this whole thing without having to pay a single toll (or, conversely, those who may drive from Abbotsford out to 152nd in Surrey). Basically the only people who are on the hook to pay this thing off are those who, for whatever reason they have, must drive over the bridge in order to get to work/home. If we wanted to make it fair, why not place toll cameras on every on-ramp between 200th in Langley and whatever road in Vancouver it ends at and charge everyone, say, 50 cents to take the trip? And those who drive over the bridge get tolled another $1/1.50? That way everyone who benefits from the upgrades can pay their fair share.

OR.... if we're talking about paying fair shares, why the hell is the Sea to Sky not fucking tolled? Like when the Coquihalla was upgraded, the S2S was more of a "luxury" than necessity. The SFPR could be argued that it truly was a necessity, but at over $1.2 billion dollars, why are there no tolls on it? And yet, a new Pattullo Bridge, which will cost less than the untolled SFPR project, is expected to be tolled?

Where's the damn consistency? Translink/Mayor's Council is screaming for more money, well... you've got three newly completed projects just begging for some shiny new cameras to be installed.
Lol...The consistency is:

Fuck surrey.

No but seriously I agree to some degree with what you have said, I use much of the new portions of the highway, every morning on the way to work, and I don't pay shit. Not fair for sure, but I don't really see a better way than tolling the bridge.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #644
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The most equitable thing to do of course is to do it via OBD2 connector and toll / km.. but apparently that is a non starter to the province or the mayors.

Quote:

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #645
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
re: left lane blocking:

Watching Slower drivers in the fast lane http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2465609404/

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
re: left lane blocking:

Watching Slower drivers in the fast lane Slower drivers in the fast lane - CBC News Vancouver at 6 - CBC Player
If I could thank you, and the CBC a million times I would. Finally maybe something will be done about this epidemic.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #647

So, anyone have any idea when the final two lanes are supposed to open? Last I heard, it was supposed to be within December 2014. The website's "Construction Schedule" is beyond vague: "Final finishing work will continue through 2015. This primarily involves completion of the final two lanes of the Port Mann Bridge and their connections to Highway 1, which are necessary for future capacity."

Construction Schedule
Quote:
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So, anyone have any idea when the final two lanes are supposed to open? Last I heard, it was supposed to be within December 2014. The website's "Construction Schedule" is beyond vague: "Final finishing work will continue through 2015. This primarily involves completion of the final two lanes of the Port Mann Bridge and their connections to Highway 1, which are necessary for future capacity."

Construction Schedule
Substantial completion originally for the project was December 2013.

Substantial Completion was actually achieved ~5 months late. In Summer of this past year, and the project certainly has not made any schedule advances in that period, if anything they have lost even more ground.

Original Final completion was meant to be this past December, so even at a best case scenario they are running ~6 months behind schedule, so we are looking at mid summer before they are all wrapped up.

Spoiler!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #649
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
They have really been starting to pave the other two lanes the past week and I wouldn't be surprised if they are fully opened by March. I think another reason for the delay is because of the removal of the old bridge which seems to be going very slowly but I'm sure that will take another 3 months depending on the weather.

Everything really seems to be coming quickly since the beginning of the month so March opening sometime is very possible
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #650
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I wonder if there are any penalty clauses and if there are how much?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote