REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Fail to display Validation decal (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633013-fail-display-validation-decal.html)

Honyoung 12-17-2010 03:12 AM

Fail to display Validation decal

Hey guys (yes i used search didnt find anything like this)
so i got a failure to "display validation decal" (dunno what that even means did not show my license?) MV 3.012 (says that on the ticket)$109 (i am gonna pay for the ticket)
im just wondering if there will be anything that will affect my license i have a 7N been caught once with a DUI (they reset my 2 years and suspended me for 3 months)
pretty paranoid right now thats why im typing this out at 4 am
TIA

sho_bc 12-17-2010 03:28 AM

Perhaps it means that you didn't display your validation decal. (The decal that shows when your insurance is valid until)

Quicksilver 12-17-2010 08:21 AM

yes, it's the expiry date of your insurance, the sticker that's on your rear license plate. Did you renew and forget to put the new one on?

zulutango 12-17-2010 09:01 AM

It's under the regulations so there are no points, just the fine indicated. If you feel that you have a legal reason or a good explanation for not displaying it...like somebody sole it???? then if you tell your story to the traffic court JP there may be a chance of not gertting convicted or having the fine reduced if found guilty.

johny 12-17-2010 05:46 PM

you probbaly have a licance plate cover that blocks it?.. if so you should remove it before you get another one.

Volitaire 12-17-2010 05:49 PM

Either that or the officer cut you a break on a no-insurance by issuing a lesser ticket.. $598 vs $109

zulutango 12-17-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7231917)
you probbaly have a licance plate cover that blocks it?.. if so you should remove it before you get another one.

Nope....the charge was for not displaying the valtag. If it was hiden by the cover this would be the charge...Op was charged with failing to display valtag...a very specific charge.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

CRS 12-17-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7232076)
Nope....the charge was for not displaying the valtag. If it was hiden by the cover this would be the charge...Op was charged with failing to display valtag...a very specific charge.

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Wait what?

If the valtag is covered by a plate cover, what would it be under?

It didn't really obstruct the plate... Just the valtag...

johny 12-17-2010 10:19 PM

by cover I really ment frame. zulu is probably talking about clear covers

sho_bc 12-17-2010 10:24 PM

No covers are allowed. The val tag is on the plate and must be free of obstruction as well. There is a set of numbers on val tags that is matched to a specific set of plates. One of many things that we can/do/will check for during a traffic stop.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 12-18-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7232122)
Wait what?

If the valtag is covered by a plate cover, what would it be under?

It didn't really obstruct the plate... Just the valtag...

""number plates" means the number plates issued under this Act as well as validation decals for attachment to number plates issued under this Act;"

So the valtag is considered to be the same as the metal plate. No cover, clear, tinted or otherwise...or "obstruction" eg metal frame is legal.

StealthFighter 12-19-2010 09:25 PM

is showing the date enough or do we have to show the barcode too?

also, what is the point of that barcode?

sho_bc 12-20-2010 04:49 AM

The barcode and the number beside it are part of things we can/do/will check to ensure it is a legitimate val tag and attached to the proper licence plate. Therefore, the full sticker must be visible.

The point of the barcode is so that we/ICBC are able to scan it and verify the information provided against the val tag number and the corresponding licence plate.

zulutango 12-20-2010 05:12 AM

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed

Can't be any clearer.. :) One of the first things thieves who steal valtags do is scratch out the numbers on it so it is impossible to know what plate it belongs to. Luiker Sho bc said, that isd how we know if a valtag is stolen. Never seen a valid tag with the numbers scratched off.

jlenko 12-21-2010 12:51 PM

Enough about 3.03.. how about 3.012 which is in the first post?

zulutango 12-21-2010 08:11 PM

Attachment of validation decal
3.012 If a validation decal is issued under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act for attachment to a number plate, it must be attached

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle licensed under the Commercial Transport Act that has a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 5 500 kg, to the place provided on the front number plate, or

(b) in the case of any other vehicle, to the place provided on the rear number plate.