REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Fail to display Validation decal

Hey guys (yes i used search didnt find anything like this)
so i got a failure to "display validation decal" (dunno what that even means did not show my license?) MV 3.012 (says that on the ticket)$109 (i am gonna pay for the ticket)
im just wondering if there will be anything that will affect my license i have a 7N been caught once with a DUI (they reset my 2 years and suspended me for 3 months)
pretty paranoid right now thats why im typing this out at 4 am
TIA
Advertisement
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Perhaps it means that you didn't display your validation decal. (The decal that shows when your insurance is valid until)
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

yes, it's the expiry date of your insurance, the sticker that's on your rear license plate. Did you renew and forget to put the new one on?
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
It's under the regulations so there are no points, just the fine indicated. If you feel that you have a legal reason or a good explanation for not displaying it...like somebody sole it???? then if you tell your story to the traffic court JP there may be a chance of not gertting convicted or having the fine reduced if found guilty.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

you probbaly have a licance plate cover that blocks it?.. if so you should remove it before you get another one.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
User Number 7

Either that or the officer cut you a break on a no-insurance by issuing a lesser ticket.. $598 vs $109
Volitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
you probbaly have a licance plate cover that blocks it?.. if so you should remove it before you get another one.
Nope....the charge was for not displaying the valtag. If it was hiden by the cover this would be the charge...Op was charged with failing to display valtag...a very specific charge.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Nope....the charge was for not displaying the valtag. If it was hiden by the cover this would be the charge...Op was charged with failing to display valtag...a very specific charge.

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.
Wait what?

If the valtag is covered by a plate cover, what would it be under?

It didn't really obstruct the plate... Just the valtag...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

by cover I really ment frame. zulu is probably talking about clear covers
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #10

No covers are allowed. The val tag is on the plate and must be free of obstruction as well. There is a set of numbers on val tags that is matched to a specific set of plates. One of many things that we can/do/will check for during a traffic stop.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Wait what?

If the valtag is covered by a plate cover, what would it be under?

It didn't really obstruct the plate... Just the valtag...

""number plates" means the number plates issued under this Act as well as validation decals for attachment to number plates issued under this Act;"

So the valtag is considered to be the same as the metal plate. No cover, clear, tinted or otherwise...or "obstruction" eg metal frame is legal.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

is showing the date enough or do we have to show the barcode too?

also, what is the point of that barcode?
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #13

The barcode and the number beside it are part of things we can/do/will check to ensure it is a legitimate val tag and attached to the proper licence plate. Therefore, the full sticker must be visible.

The point of the barcode is so that we/ICBC are able to scan it and verify the information provided against the val tag number and the corresponding licence plate.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed

Can't be any clearer.. One of the first things thieves who steal valtags do is scratch out the numbers on it so it is impossible to know what plate it belongs to. Luiker Sho bc said, that isd how we know if a valtag is stolen. Never seen a valid tag with the numbers scratched off.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Enough about 3.03.. how about 3.012 which is in the first post?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Attachment of validation decal
3.012 If a validation decal is issued under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act for attachment to a number plate, it must be attached

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle licensed under the Commercial Transport Act that has a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 5 500 kg, to the place provided on the front number plate, or

(b) in the case of any other vehicle, to the place provided on the rear number plate.
This post thanked by: