REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Yielding to a Bus

The other day I was following a bus. He put on his four way flashers and pulled completely off the road into a bus stop, so I proceeded to pass. When I was beside the bus, he pulled out and I had to swerve to avoid a collision. They do have a yield sign on the back of the bus, but don't they have to re-enter traffic just like anyone else on the road?

On any road in British Columbia where the speed limit is 60 km/h or slower, you must yield to a bus that is displaying the prescribed yield sign and is signalling that it wants to move out of the curb lane or bus stop.

That said, the driver of the bus must not move onto the travelled portion of the roadway unless that movement can be made in safety. There are two rules in the Motor Vehicle Act requiring this, one specifically for a bus such as this one and one for all traffic in general. The bus must be granted right of way and the driver was wrong to force it.

It is also possible that the driver failed to identify you as a hazard, either because he did not look or looked but did not see. In your case this was a single laned roadway and you had no option but to pass by carefully. Had it have been a multiple laned roadway, you might consider that something like this could occur and move to the left lane before passing the bus.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i got in an accident earlier this year because of a similar situation..in the end icbc determined the bus driver to be at fault.

thread: http://www.revscene.net/forums/accid...+translink+bus
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I have no problem yielding to buses if they signal and THEN come out, but I absolutely can't stand those self righteous bus drivers who pull out and signal at the same time and then have the audacity to lay on the horn because you didn't want to slam on your brakes for them.

Last edited by skidmark; 12-20-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: language
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Good post skidmark, thank you.

If drivers would all adhere to the basic principles of signalling, we'd all be better off.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

edit

Last edited by ziegs2020; 12-25-2010 at 12:51 PM.
ziegs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Bus's that are on route when I drive to / back from school do this all the time.. suddenly jump out when I pass them when they have both lights flashing and not signalling to the left. Scares the crap out of me

They should make it so bus's can't turn the wheel to the left to reenter the lane until the left turn signal light has been on for like 5 secs =_=
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
^This would impair their ability to react and respond in critical situations.