REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Where does everyone get their car's oil change done? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633199-where-does-everyone-get-their-cars-oil-change-done.html)

PuYang 02-14-2011 01:24 PM

i have a question regarding oilchanges done at shops or dealers.

for the people who go get oil changes elsewhere (not DIY), do you guys also buy the oil and filters?

IE: if i was to go to honda right now for an oil change. would it be best to buy my own stuff and bring it to them, and only pay for labor? do they allow that? what kind of oil do they use? (if they dont let you bring your own).

thanks in advance ;]

Phil@rise 02-14-2011 01:33 PM

I can't speak for all shops but at our shop we allow customers to bring their own parts or supplies. When doing so the customer assumes all responsibility for wrong or faulty parts.

TheSalesman 02-14-2011 01:34 PM

You might save a couple bucks if you went to buy your own oil and filter but the gas you spent to go buy that yourself and the time it took, you probably didn't save anything.
Unless you want to use synthetic oil just have the dealer supply everything.
A shop like garage5 charges $20 for the labour from what I remember.
I used to use synthetic so I got them to doit if I didn't have time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuYang (Post 7304962)
i have a question regarding oilchanges done at shops or dealers.

for the people who go get oil changes elsewhere (not DIY), do you guys also buy the oil and filters?

IE: if i was to go to honda right now for an oil change. would it be best to buy my own stuff and bring it to them, and only pay for labor? do they allow that? what kind of oil do they use? (if they dont let you bring your own).

thanks in advance ;]

winson604 02-15-2011 11:53 AM

I just bought a new Mazda 1 year ago and when I asked them about doing an oil change somewhere else they said if I do make sure to buy the filters from them first and bring it there. They told me they had a case where a customer got an oil change done elsewhere. Something went wrong and Mazda Canada didn't cover the warranty because they didn't use a Mazda filter. Not sure about other cars though.

baggdis300 02-16-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7297969)
Add to that, these bitches failed my car's vehicle inspection when there was nothing wrong.

Fuck them to hell like a filthy $5 Shanghainese HIV infested whore.

hm thats strange, when i went back in 09 with my is300, nothing was done wrong, and i was out the door at 30$.....

i just changed that oil out at 4k miles, rather than the 10k i wait now with synthetic and oem filter

!e.lo_ 02-24-2011 08:58 AM

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Besides doing an oil change myself, I go to Gearheads.
Total Synthetic Oil and HAMP filter. 8000KM intervals

GoneGuru 03-19-2011 02:44 PM

Got mine done at Midas recently, near science world. 28 bucks, weeee

325isMSPORT 03-25-2011 05:44 PM

i DIY it using lubro-moly 5-40 fully synthetic (bout 40ish dollars for 5 litres and i use 7.5 litres) and filter is bout 8 - 10 bucks (mahle filters)
bmw 325is

DHP 1 03-29-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7302640)
As a service guy I always get a chuckle outta people who always whine about overpaying for a part or a service and are constantly looking for that cheaper part or better deal. In the end what happens? Most of them end up whining about the cheaper part or service and the inconvenience it caused them.
The reality is this nothing is free. Parts manufacturers and service shops are in business for two reasons to service the customer and to make money. Money needs to be made. When something is cheap its usually the parts that end up on the cost cutting end of things.
As a customer you need to consider what a business has to endure to service you.
1) Rent, these shops pay through the nose for rent
2) Employees, these shops need to pay em, your an employee of someone and you don't work for free.
3) Parts cost, we pay outta our credit lines and our pockets for your parts. We need to mark up those parts or why would we stock them and keep money outta our pockets food outta our mouths etc.
4) Utilities, businesses pay on average double the basic utilities cost of personal home usage. Example a home phone plan is about 35 bucks last I looked and our business one is almost 80
5) Waste disposal, yup we pay for that too, we even pay to recycle.

Now some shops over charge and rip people off in attempt to gain monetarily as much as possible. Some shops don't. Find the right one build a relationship and think of them and what they provide for you.
And always keep in mind if the deal seems too good to be true, investigate it cus it may be and in the end it will only cost you more, monetarily or just a plain ole pain in the ass.

The reason I write this now is the number one area people are looking to save money is that $5 break on an oil change its sooooooo annoying and cheap.

And to stay on topic I change my own oil lol

couldnt agree with you more, too many cheap mofos out there trying to penny pinch each shop. At the end, you get what you pay for, we aint out there doing charity work for you. People always complain this and that, and hell even if you give them a deal, they still ask you if you can cut them more slack. Hell, try pulling one of those stunts at the dealership and see what they do.

mbrodie 04-23-2011 02:23 PM

I go to Minit Tune. $35. It isn't the cheapest, but I don't want the cheapest necessarily. They also inspect the vehicle for you, give you a printed report, and bring anything important to your attention. So for a few extra dollars you've got some insurance that nothing was missed! So I make a habit of taking it in Spring/Fall every year.