REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Where does everyone get their car's oil change done? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633199-where-does-everyone-get-their-cars-oil-change-done.html)

Lude2000 12-19-2010 10:11 PM

Where does everyone get their car's oil change done?

Besides doing it yourself, where does everyone get their car's oil change done at?

I drive a 2000 prelude and Honda simply charges too much now. They charge about $48 + taxes + enviro fees, etc.

Do many people go to places like Mr. Lube, or Mobil 1 Lube Express?

Thanks.

ImportXxX 12-19-2010 10:36 PM

places like that will cost roughly around the same price, if you really wanna save some money then just get off your butt and do it yourself. You gota understand with businesses they have to make some money to cover their expenses. They don't make money off just one vehical, they need more to make money. If i were you , i would just goto costco and buy a box of oil and do it yourself. You still have to pay for the enviro fees even if you buy your own oil neitherless.

Matlock 12-19-2010 10:41 PM

I go to discount auto for $35+tax for my 6cyl i get oil and new filter done.

When it warms up I will try DIY and see how much I save.

Just wondering for the DIY guys, how much do you typically spend on materials per oil change?

pingu81 12-19-2010 11:15 PM

If you wanna DIY, go to WalMart for supplies. A FRAM filter *should* cost about $6 (or possibly $2 - $3 more depending on the size). And remember, FRAM and OEM Honda oil filters are both made by the same company, Honeywell. They usually carry at least one jug of oil on sale. You can often find a jug of Quaker State of Valvoline conventional for $10 - $11. Don't forget the crush washer which you can get from the dealership for under $1 each.

dn53 12-19-2010 11:26 PM

ive seen so many videos on how crap fram is on youtube (hence the price). anyone wanna chime in?

Then again, its just a filter.. right?

Indy 12-20-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangoo- (Post 7234188)
ive seen so many videos on how crap fram is on youtube (hence the price). anyone wanna chime in?

That filters out crap and junk and debris from your oiling system...pretty critical if you ask me.

K&N filters are available at lordco usually like $10 or so and I just saw Mobil 1 filters at Canadian tire this weekend. Didn't see the price tho.

fliptuner 12-20-2010 08:49 AM

Where? About 40' from where I'm sitting.

OTG-ZR2 12-20-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangoo- (Post 7234188)

I have seen the videos on youtube.

There is a difference in quality between filters imo. Fram filters have a really thin metal housing compared to a Wix or a Fleetguard. There filter material seems to be a bare minimum compared to a premium filter as well. Just spend the extra 2 or 3 dollars and get a good filter.

dn53 12-20-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 7234449)
I have seen the videos on youtube.

There is a difference in quality between filters imo. Fram filters have a really thin metal housing compared to a Wix or a Fleetguard. There filter material seems to be a bare minimum compared to a premium filter as well. Just spend the extra 2 or 3 dollars and get a good filter.

I see. If anyones wondering, Fram also makes the OEM honda filters, though with much better build quality

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/at...0&d=1126372492

fliptuner 12-20-2010 10:59 AM

Yup, same company, different build quality.

Just like brake rotors. They're almost all made in China but brand names still mean something.

Inaii 12-20-2010 11:09 AM

My beck arnley filter was $8 at lordco. Mind you that may have been with employee discount...
Posted via RS Mobile

mpr 12-20-2010 11:36 AM

http://www.apollomufflercentres.com/blog/?p=62

$19.95

TheSalesman 12-20-2010 11:48 AM

For the DIY people, I have oem Honda filters. $35 for 5.

tiger_handheld 12-20-2010 01:29 PM

by a buddy who works for carter honda. pm me if u want more details.
includes honda filter and oil / and other random things i complain about...

pingu81 12-20-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpr (Post 7234596)

Took my beater there and WILL NEVER TAKE IT THERE AGAIN.

#1 - They didn't use a new crush washer
#2 - They overtightened the drain bolt on the old nylon crush washer which caused an oil leak
#3 - $19.99 is not what you pay. They add their "Environmental Fee" which is almost $10.00. Add HST on top and you are at around $35.00
#4 - The place is fucking ghetto. I went there at 3 PM on a weekday and they had 1 mechanic on duty. While I was waiting for my car, I watched the Manager tell this old guy all the things that were "wrong" with his car and what it would cost to get it fixed. Hope the guy didn't go for it. That would have been rape right there.

RevShev 12-20-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lude2000 (Post 7234105)
Besides doing it yourself, where does everyone get their car's oil change done at?

I drive a 2000 prelude and Honda simply charges too much now. They charge about $48 + taxes + enviro fees, etc.

Do many people hid bulb go to places like Mr. Lube, or Mobil 1 Lube Express?

Thanks.

I get mine at Jifffy Lube!

vso 12-20-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 7234420)
That filters out crap and junk and debris from your oiling system...pretty critical if you ask me.

K&N filters are available at lordco usually like $10 or so and I just saw Mobil 1 filters at Canadian tire this weekend. Didn't see the price tho.

filter can work too well then limit oil flow and starve your engine, imo any filter will work for normal city driving

impulseX 12-21-2010 01:52 PM

I DIY and usually doesnt cost too much, nor take much time or effort...
I head down to the states every so often and a 5L jug of Mobil 1 is like.. $20 usd, and a Fram filter is like.. $6

MrGoodbar 01-18-2011 03:11 PM

i fucking hate frame. Sure their filter elements might be made by the same company but i'm sure as hell the casing isn't. I've had two filters thread and seated properly and lubed the rubber seals but no, it was leaking from somewhere out the side. oil dripped onto the cat and smoke was coming out from under my hood. i had to replace it with a cheapo motomaster on the spot after it cooled down at a canadian tire on grandview highway. I went through a few more oil filters and bought another fram that was on special. the same thing happened with the first fram. these oil filters are shit.

although i do like their grip on the end of the filter. that is massive win. but other than that, they fucking suck.

Leopold Stotch 02-08-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangoo- (Post 7234548)
I see. If anyones wondering, Fram also makes the OEM honda filters, though with much better build quality

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/at...0&d=1126372492

oh man, i thought most Japanese cars had filters made by Nippon.

bcrdukes 02-08-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 7234748)
Took my beater there and WILL NEVER TAKE IT THERE AGAIN.

#1 - They didn't use a new crush washer
#2 - They overtightened the drain bolt on the old nylon crush washer which caused an oil leak
#3 - $19.99 is not what you pay. They add their "Environmental Fee" which is almost $10.00. Add HST on top and you are at around $35.00
#4 - The place is fucking ghetto. I went there at 3 PM on a weekday and they had 1 mechanic on duty. While I was waiting for my car, I watched the Manager tell this old guy all the things that were "wrong" with his car and what it would cost to get it fixed. Hope the guy didn't go for it. That would have been rape right there.

Add to that, these bitches failed my car's vehicle inspection when there was nothing wrong.

Fuck them to hell like a filthy $5 Shanghainese HIV infested whore.

Phil@rise 02-12-2011 11:54 AM

As a service guy I always get a chuckle outta people who always whine about overpaying for a part or a service and are constantly looking for that cheaper part or better deal. In the end what happens? Most of them end up whining about the cheaper part or service and the inconvenience it caused them.
The reality is this nothing is free. Parts manufacturers and service shops are in business for two reasons to service the customer and to make money. Money needs to be made. When something is cheap its usually the parts that end up on the cost cutting end of things.
As a customer you need to consider what a business has to endure to service you.
1) Rent, these shops pay through the nose for rent
2) Employees, these shops need to pay em, your an employee of someone and you don't work for free.
3) Parts cost, we pay outta our credit lines and our pockets for your parts. We need to mark up those parts or why would we stock them and keep money outta our pockets food outta our mouths etc.
4) Utilities, businesses pay on average double the basic utilities cost of personal home usage. Example a home phone plan is about 35 bucks last I looked and our business one is almost 80
5) Waste disposal, yup we pay for that too, we even pay to recycle.

Now some shops over charge and rip people off in attempt to gain monetarily as much as possible. Some shops don't. Find the right one build a relationship and think of them and what they provide for you.
And always keep in mind if the deal seems too good to be true, investigate it cus it may be and in the end it will only cost you more, monetarily or just a plain ole pain in the ass.

The reason I write this now is the number one area people are looking to save money is that $5 break on an oil change its sooooooo annoying and cheap.

And to stay on topic I change my own oil lol

Raidake 02-12-2011 03:07 PM

I go to penzoil; although it is true that the costs are very similar wherever you go. It is a nice convenience to have someone do the change for you.

keifun 02-13-2011 12:52 PM

stick to OEM filters. Thats all I gotta say.

winson604 02-13-2011 05:11 PM

Currently I just go stay at Mazda only because I'm under warranty and I don't need Mazda Canada telling me they won't fix this or that because I didn't bring it to a Mazda Certified Tech etc.

That being said, my family still brings their car to JRS Auto on Hastings right by Commercial. Started going there like 8 years ago because the owner is my friends uncle. Prices are decent and personally I have never had any problems and find them to be trust worthy. Last time I got an oil change there was 1.5 years ago when I had my old car and after taxes etc it was about $29 ish.