REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Burnaby considers reducing car speeds on bike routes

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/B...813/story.html

Quote:
Burnaby is considering following Vancouver's lead in making roads safer for cyclists by imposing a 30-km/h speed limit on streets with designated bike paths in north Burnaby.

Stuart Ramsey, an engineer and planner with the City of Burnaby, said council will consider in January whether to approve a year-long pilot project for a 30-km/h limit on bike lanes in the Burnaby Heights and Capitol Hill neighbourhoods.

The lower speeds would be mainly along the Sea-to-River Bikeway on Carleton Avenue and the on-street portion of the Trans-Canada Trail on Fell Avenue.

The proposal is part of a public consultation process on a series of traffic-calming measures that also includes a 40-km/h hour limit on all neighbourhood streets. The current speed limit is 50 km/h.

Ramsey said the move is intended to make it safer for cyclists and encourage more people to ride their bikes. If council approves the proposal, and it works, it will consider imposing the lower speed limits on all Burnaby street bikeways. Otherwise the old limits will be reinstated.

According to the Burnaby Transportation Plan, up to 3,000 vehicles per day can be expected on local residential roads, and up to 5,000 vehicles per day on local collector roads.

The proposed lower speeds would be restricted to neighbourhood streets and will not apply to major commuter roads with bike lanes such as Lougheed Highway. "We're not planning on slowing down arterial roads," Ramsey said.

Meanwhile, Vancouver city crews are in the midst of installing the lower speed limits signs on streets designated as bike paths and greenways, said spokesman Dale Bracewell.

The lower speeds, he said, would lead to a more consistent speed limit on streets where bikes often travel.

"It's about encouraging more cycling," he said. "If vehicles still need to be driving in those local streets, it's about driving on streets compatible with bike users."

Vancouver estimates an average of 60,000 bike trips a day now take place in Vancouver.

LAME
Advertisement
Jeremy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Vancouver estimates an average of 60,000 bike trips a day now take place in Vancouver.
LOL
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
LOL
I think they'd be lucky to get that figure in one year, lulz.
Vinny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I want to know how many accidents they think they'd be preventing by reducing the speed limit to 30. I understand school zones, kids run out in to the roads all the time, but I've personally seen more bikers hit parked cars than ever being hit by one.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
When I lived in Ottawa an entire neighbourhood did the same: lowered speed from 50 to 40 kmph at a cost of $100K for new signage.

I wrote an article that was published in the local paper stating that this would not work, it is just an expensive measure to make people feel better. Most cars travel at ~60kmph and will continue to regardless of the sign posted, since most people adjust their speed relative to the conditions.

The first month I slowed down cause there was extra enforcement, yet by 6 months when the extra enforcement was long gone I was back to the same speed, ~60 kmph, regardless of the new signs.

Stupid measures like this will not work. It'll just push more traffic from the 30 kmph streets to the normal 40 kmph streets, and no-one will slow down for the new 40 kmph law unless enforcement is increased.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
LOL
what is their sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
When I lived in Ottawa an entire neighbourhood did the same: lowered speed from 50 to 40 kmph at a cost of $100K for new signage.

I wrote an article that was published in the local paper stating that this would not work, it is just an expensive measure to make people feel better. Most cars travel at ~60kmph and will continue to regardless of the sign posted, since most people adjust their speed relative to the conditions.

The first month I slowed down cause there was extra enforcement, yet by 6 months when the extra enforcement was long gone I was back to the same speed, ~60 kmph, regardless of the new signs.

Stupid measures like this will not work. It'll just push more traffic from the 30 kmph streets to the normal 40 kmph streets, and no-one will slow down for the new 40 kmph law unless enforcement is increased.
+1. just like talking on cellphones

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

for fuck sakes, seems like vancouver and area puts extra effort in creating more traffic jams and making life harder for commuters.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Stupid fucking politicians
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
FUCK YOU ILL STILL BE DOING 50km/h
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
fucking hippies
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Because people will be riding their bikes up and down Kensington or whatever in freezing rain. Riiight.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #12

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
What a waste of money. I blame this all on Mayor McChicken Robertson.

May as well put a bike lane going up and down Willingdon St from Metrotown to BCIT. Damn hippies ruining my good city of Burnaby, too.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
for fuck sakes, seems like vancouver and area puts extra effort in creating more traffic jams and making life harder for commuters.
My friend's wife works for city hall and that's exactly what they're doing... everything possible to discourage you from driving. They want people to take transit, car pool, etc... They made it expensive to park downtown so you think twice about driving... I say fuck it, I just won't go downtown. Haven't been there for over a year during the day.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
My friend's wife works for city hall and that's exactly what they're doing... everything possible to discourage you from driving. They want people to take transit, car pool, etc... They made it expensive to park downtown so you think twice about driving... I say fuck it, I just won't go downtown. Haven't been there for over a year during the day.
I would love to interview all the staff at city hall to see how they got to work that morning.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'd really like to see the data that shows 60,000 bike trips a day take place in Vancouver, I support road improvements for cyclists and even I think that numbers impossible.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
FUCK YOU ILL STILL BE DOING 80km/h
fixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
fucking hippies
ok little story.

Some lady called the cops on me 2 days ago in downtown because I revved my engine at her. She purposely slowed down on the street and a car was coming towards me while I was stuck in the middle of an intersection, so that's why I did. So at the next intersection she comes out of nowhere and stops in front of my car. I get out my car and say what the fuck are you doing bitch. She and her boyfriend were like "well that was kind of unnecessary you tried to run us over". At this point I'm just like are you fucking kidding me... then I tell them to move you're blocking traffic. Then I drove my car forward a bit and crushed her leg between her bike and my bumper because she refused to move. She started screaming and punching my cars bumper/hood. Then some guy in a Porsche behind me tells her to move also because she was blocking traffic. While this whole thing was going down, I was revving my engine and honking at her trying to get her to move, and me being pissed off I was just about to run the bitch over. She was also on the phone with the police saying I'm trying to run her over and shit, actually was pretty funny. So finally she moved and then I laid a big burnout in her face. FUCK I HATE HIPPIES. Lucky for her she was a woman, if it was a guy I'd probably murder him in the street.

the temptation was so strong to run her over... but I wasn't gonna let some 35yo welfare hippie lady trying to cause drama get to me.

Last edited by 1exotic; 12-21-2010 at 03:24 AM.
1exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

LOL WIN
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If cars need to go slower when driving through bike routes, i think bikes need to go faster when they arent using bike routes.

I've got a another idea - bikers should be ticketed for not using the bike lanes when its reasonable to do. For example biking down broadway when 8th ave has a bike lane.
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

did I miss something? I didnt even know Gregor ran for mayor of the whole lower mainland, let alone that he won
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Some lady called the cops on me 2 days ago in downtown because I revved my engine at her. She purposely slowed down on the street and a car was coming towards me while I was stuck in the middle of an intersection, so that's why I did. So at the next intersection she comes out of nowhere and stops in front of my car. I get out my car and say what the fuck are you doing bitch. She and her boyfriend were like "well that was kind of unnecessary you tried to run us over". At this point I'm just like are you fucking kidding me... then I tell them to move you're blocking traffic. Then I drove my car forward a bit and crushed her leg between her bike and my bumper because she refused to move. She started screaming and punching my cars bumper/hood. Then some guy in a Porsche behind me tells her to move also because she was blocking traffic. While this whole thing was going down, I was revving my engine and honking at her trying to get her to move, and me being pissed off I was just about to run the bitch over. She was also on the phone with the police saying I'm trying to run her over and shit, actually was pretty funny. So finally she moved and then I laid a big burnout in her face. FUCK I HATE HIPPIES. Lucky for her she was a woman, if it was a guy I'd probably murder him in the street.

the temptation was so strong to run her over... but I wasn't gonna let some 35yo welfare hippie lady trying to cause drama get to me.
Next time,just carry a can of bear mace in the car,don't even argue with them,just spray them in the face as you drive by and watch them drop to the ground,twitching and screaming in extreme pain.Since you drive a RHD vehicle,it would be alot easier to hit them with the bear mace too.

I always have a can in my car,used it a few times too on some crackheads and wannabe gangsters.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
rofl the city's street aren't even wide enough to take all the increasing number of cars due to immigrants, and now they add more bicycle lanes and slow the speed down. Fucking pathetic.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
well if this is true, then go fucking fix the unreliable POS transit system we have now before trying to convince us to take more public transit.

oh another note, if they think its us drivers that are unsafe near bikers, maybe they should start ticketing bikers for every little infraction because they r the ones that think they're the king of the roads and do what ever they want and cause US DRIVERS to look unsafe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #23

Quote:
u know, people will still drive down, and sit through traffic jams, burining gas and releasing more green house gases. thats what i do.

FUCK VANC government.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
u know, people will still drive down, and sit through traffic jams, burining gas and releasing more green house gases. thats what i do.

FUCK VANC government.
Yup... costs almost $1k to park in NYC each month... and there's still traffic jams. The one thing I noticed while I was in NY was that this actually separated the poor from the rich. I didn't feel safe taking their subway at all.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I HATE HIPPIES

Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: