REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
from my family having owned both cars, the 3 series rear and trunk space feel tiny compared to an accord....
If you are comparing sedan to sedan I definitely agree, as a 4 seater coupe however you will see me climbing into the back of a 328 over the accord any day. The sedan has bulging rear wheel wells or something that just pushes into the interior and makes it very uncomfortable

I believe the accord has the middle seat belt making it a 5 seater though which is a plus.
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

you should compare the insurance costs as well.

ps. i have a 07 328 coupe and my thermostat and waterpump died in october. it costs me around $1300(including labour) to replace them. apparently this is a rare occurrence but it happened and i was quite surprised at the costs.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Isn't that covered under the 4 year warranty? Thats a big hit if you paid that out of pocket.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Isn't that covered under the 4 year warranty? Thats a big hit if you paid that out of pocket.
warranty ended in june
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

08 accord coupe owner here.. so i have to say the accord..
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordCouped View Post
08 accord coupe owner here.. so i have to say the accord..
very insightful bro
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
my dad has X3 too and it is just soooo dope too drive. The straight 6 engines and the drivetrains are out of this world, theres NO way you can compare a Accord to a 328i. Get the BMW and bring it into a bmw dealership too see if you can get it certified, if they say everything is good then take good care of it and it will last you a lifetime. BMWs are reliable if you treat them well and im talking from experience.

My cousin (male) bought a brand new 330i with M sport package and he didnt take care of the car at all, he kept cheaping out on maitenace and he brought the car to sketchy and cheap places for everything and his driving style was very aggresive. That being said after two years when the car hit 40000k it started falling apart.

My cousin (female) bought a X3 with 40000k and she took good care of it and took the time to bring it too the dealership for everything. And the car is still running well it has 160k now ( she drives to cali alot) she couldnt be happier.

Get the BMW and be happy for the next 7 years, because i know for a fact that whenever you take a corner you will have a smile on your face everytime. Jump at the chance to own the Ultimate Driving Machine.

and are you married? if not BMW can help

donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

3 series without sport package to me is just average... nothing special.
But add the sport package, now you have the best handling sedan in the world. Nobody can match it. Just awesome car to drive...as long as the road isn't bumpy.
I am also not a fan of the 328 auto transmission... nothing like the ZF found on 335i.(It drives like manual)
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
stop complaining about reliability, how many of you actually own a 3 series? and do know how much you need to pay for repairing? Pretty much all BMW owners (including the c-lais and uncles) I know in my life never complain about how much they pay. Either it is pretty much maintenance free or they think every penny that was spent is worthy.

After adding up all the repair bills we paid for our 95 E36 with 160K, it's around 6g (excl all the mod parts), which was reasonable for a 11 yrs car, $550 a year is not bad for a 90s German car.

If you care about interior and trunk space, you need to get a wagon or dodge minivan.
If you care about getting girls, get a mini cooper
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The leatherette on the entry level Bimmers are terrible. I also notice that the standard seats are very flat with very little support. IMHO, the sport seats are a must. Why don't you compromise on the two and find a 2007-2009 TSX? Honda reliability, with just the right amount of 'luxury'.. ?

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #36
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
BMW = Cooling system problems.. be preparied to replace the water pump at least...

Honda all the way

IMHO, German cars are not worth buying.. cost too much to maintain

Your accord is going to have full warranty.
the BMW will only have 2 years remaining
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 View Post
BMWs are reliable if you treat them well and im talking from experience.

My cousin (male) bought a brand new 330i with M sport package and he didnt take care of the car at all, he kept cheaping out on maitenace and he brought the car to sketchy and cheap places for everything and his driving style was very aggresive. That being said after two years when the car hit 40000k it started falling apart.
You're contradicting yourself here. A car should not fall apart at 40k even if you do nothing more than a couple of oil changes during that time.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #38
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
The leatherette on the entry level Bimmers are terrible. I also notice that the standard seats are very flat with very little support. IMHO, the sport seats are a must. Why don't you compromise on the two and find a 2007-2009 TSX? Honda reliability, with just the right amount of 'luxury'.. ?
They don't feel like the nappa leather but I can GUARANTEE you this, the leatherette after 5 years will look brand new and requires no maintenance, Leather in 5 years shows significant wear and tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post
BMW = Cooling system problems.. be preparied to replace the water pump at least...

Honda all the way

Not worth buying because of higher maintenance costs?

Seriously if all you're looking for in a car is low maintenance costs get off this forum

Last edited by ilvtofu; 12-20-2010 at 08:05 PM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
You're contradicting yourself here. A car should not fall apart at 40k even if you do nothing more than a couple of oil changes during that time.
Did you not read the part where i said he CHEAPED out on scheduled maintenance therfore SKIPPING alot of important services and did you not read the part where he drove very aggresive ( redlined like it was nothing).

And by falling apart i mean 2nd gear kinda grinded, it had water pump problems and the oil would turn black really fast and it was starting to have electrical problems aswell.

it was one of these, it was lemans blue though.

Last edited by donjalapeno; 09-09-2011 at 03:41 PM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #40
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
A car looses 15-20% of its value per year, so buying a used BMW would be better value than by a brand new Accord.

Hondas are far from the most reliable cars in the world. I own a Civic and am very active on Honda forums, the past two Honda generations for most models haven't even remotely matched the quality of those built in the 90's.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-20-2010 at 08:39 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post

Honda all the way

danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

I was pretty much in the exact same situation as you. I came down to two choices, brand new fully loaded 09 Accord or e90 07 328i. Before the test drive, I was really leaning toward getting the Accord. I had driven a BMW before, but it did not have the sport package.

I took the BMW 328i with sport package for a test drive and I had made my decision within 30 seconds. The handling on the car is ridiculous.

I also prefer the leatherette over the real leather. Real leather goes through wear and tear really easily. People come into my car and are shocked when I tell them it's 5 years old.

Maintenance costs are not as much as people are making it out to be.
The one thing I will warn you about though is, this car SUCKS in the snow.
I REPEAT, THIS BMW WITHOUT X-DRIVE IS HORRIBLE IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!
1-Slicer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #43
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Winter tires + sand or bricks in trunk should help when its snowing.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Winter tires + sand or bricks in trunk should help when its snowing.
True, although not sure how much it will help.

To be honest with you, I haven't tried that, but only so I have an excuse to borrow my bro's a4 with quattro in the snow....nothing more fun than that.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #45
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Slicer-1 View Post
True, although not sure how much it will help.

To be honest with you, I haven't tried that, but only so I have an excuse to borrow my bro's a4 with quattro in the snow....nothing more fun than that.
I had a e92 328i and with snow tires and some weight in the trunk it was fine. I have a e92 335i now, and same thing, with snow tires, no problems.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
I had a e92 328i and with snow tires and some weight in the trunk it was fine. I have a e92 335i now, and same thing, with snow tires, no problems.
Nice, don't tell my brother though, kthnxbai.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #47
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
People that drive Bimmers, gas and maintenance cost are the least of your concern since you are able to afford a Bimmer already. If you own a Bimmer and bitching about ridiculous costs here and there, then drive something else.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #48
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Real BMW owners read Bimmer forums. So they know problems from other owners before the parts actually break down, and know where to shop for cheap quality parts.

For example, changing the license plate bulb is a bitch and will cause you $50 for the bulb and $100 for labour at dealership. Read the fucking tutorial online takes you 15 minutes and 30 minutes with a screw driver to swap the bulb out.

Another example, interior headliners and pillar panels rattling? instead of whinning like a bitch online saying BMW quality sucks crap, simply pry the panel out then replace the broken clip you can buy at homedepot for 25cents.

again, it's those people who have never own a bmw complains about the reliability most of the time.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #49
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
A buddy of mine who works at Brian Jessel says E90 BMWs are very unreliable due to the fact that they carry a lot of electronics which drains the battery fast. He gets a lot of BMWs towed in because of dead batteries. I'd go for the Accord.
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappin View Post
A buddy of mine who works at Brian Jessel says E90 BMWs are very unreliable due to the fact that they carry a lot of electronics which drains the battery fast. He gets a lot of BMWs towed in because of dead batteries. I'd go for the Accord.
cause he works at a bmw stealership shop. I don't think perfectly fine bmw would go there for tea party.

make some friends as a honda stealership shop.

I think the quality of bmw and honda are on par. You gotta calculated the percentage of electronic breakdown from the total amount of electronics in the car.

I can't really backup what i'm saying here since I've never owned a bmw, but I do own an acura/honda. So i know half the statistics.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote