REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
200 ft-lbs is very tight, I don't remember a single bolt on my car requiring that and I've replaced the entire suspension, control arms and bushings.

I work on my own car and rarely worry about exact torque specs. Once you've worked on a few cars you get a feel for what's tight enough. Plus if you use thread lock on the bolts that require it there's less worry if you're off torque a bit.

The only time I worry about torque specs is when tightening bolts into the aluminum block as I don't want to strip the block. Done that once, it sucks.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Should've seen when I was trying to take the transmission out of my old car... And I think you're being a little paranoid my friend, just a little.
x2

I replaced the tie rod ends on my GF's car and was under the car yanking on a pipe wrench with all my force, including pushing against a wall with my feet.

When I do this I do take an extra measure incase the car slips off the jack stands. I throw the wheels under the car near the frame, that way if the car falls off the stands it won't completely crush me. Old trick my father taught me, works great for changing the spare on the side of the road with the crappy jack that comes with most cars that is prone to slip/break.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
^What it amounts to is understanding how to safely jack up a car, so that if it does slip off the jack stands your safe. Personally I use 4 jack stands, wheels under the frame, I chalk the wheels well and I never work on my car alone; at the very least I make sure my gf is chillin inside just incase I do have an accident.

$89.99 for a torque wrench capable of 250ft/lbs from Canadian tire, its not Snap-On or Mac quality, but more than good enough for any home owner.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-24-2010 at 12:17 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #29
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much about the torque as I would pre-loading the bushings. Many bushings on control arms need to be tightened with the full weight of the vehicle on the wheel so the suspension is compressed to its "normal" ride height.

This is the "corner" most shops cut to save time - they just tighten everything up while the car is in the air and the suspension is hanging.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #30
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Do show us which one it is.. that is capable of 250 ft/lb as you suggest, not in/lb. That's a huge difference (factor of 12). I hope you don't mix between ft/lb and in/lb when you did your suspension, of course with if you are only apply in/lb you can do it underneath the car.

250ft/lb = 3000 in/lb conversely 250 in/lb ~ 20 ft/lb

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

$89.99 for a torque wrench capable of 250ft/lbs from Canadian tire, its not Snap-On or Mac quality, but more than good enough for any home owner.

Last edited by godwin; 12-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #31
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Your right, that is in/lbs, I didn't read the website that carefully. No, I didn't mistake in/lb for ft/lb when I was working on my suspension, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Do show us which one it is.. that is capable of 250 ft/lb as you suggest, not in/lb. That's a huge difference (factor of 12). I hope you don't mix between ft/lb and in/lb when you did your suspension, of course with if you are only apply in/lb you can do it underneath the car.

250ft/lb = 3000 in/lb conversely 250 in/lb ~ 20 ft/lb

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

ya
Lolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Most shops will not torque to spec, they will torque well beyond spec. Most 12-14mm suspension bolts will be torqued with an impact well beyond 200 ft/bs and likely far short of any torque that would damage these bolts. Its pretty uncommon for shops to literally torque every bolt they touch to spec. They only do it when/where it counts. Axel nuts on the S2K for example MUST be torqued to a certain spec, not enough causes common axel problems on these cars etc. Just make sure if you need an exact spec that you specify this to the techs so it isnt overlooked or ignored.
Black240Sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: